Pirates in Red

gilesy24

As many of us know, it has been something of a brief tradition for MLB to debut next season's crop of dugout jackets during the playoffs.

I found this while surfing a local sports memorabilia site here in Pittsburgh.

I'm posting it, not so much because the construction or design of the jacket is different from what they currently wear, but the color certainly adds some fodder to the talk of an NL Central team wearing red alts next year.

Pirates jacket

I must say, as a Pittsburgher [and diehard Pirates fan] I've welcomed the introduction of red into the mix.

In fact, without straying too far off topic, I toyed with some concepts a few years back whereby the Pirates retain red as a splash/accent color, and the Penguins adopt a similar marriage of black, gold, and navy blue [while returning to marigold as opposed to Vegas gold]; taken together, they tie in perfectly with what most would call Pittsburgh's "first" team, the Steelers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something so wrong about this on so many levels. Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell must be turning in their graves.

If the Yankees used a red jacket, I guaran-damn-tee there would be problems.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Red: It's the new Black. :P

(Eagerly anticipates seeing new Detroit Lions illogical Red Alt.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, now that my eyes have stopped bleeding, I'll weigh in on this. It was just a couple of years ago I read that Kevin McClatchy was talking about how the addition of red turned out to be an unpopular choice with the fans, and that it was being phased out, back to the "true" Pittsburgh colors of just black and gold. And now this gets shoveled at us, with the looming threat of a red alternate jersey for a team that has had red as a primary color... never, not even in the Blue-and-Red days, I believe. It makes no sense, and if this jacket is any indication, it's not gonna look good.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As a Bucco season ticket holder this makes me want to puke. For the first time since I was 10 years old I have optimisim about where this team is heading, and I dont want us to look like this when we get there! I might not be living in Pittsburgh for much longer, but when I leave you will be sure that I will still be bleeding black and gold: not black, red and gold. (Except in the literal sense of course, there would be plenty of red in that case.)

Didn't some teams this year or at least recently come out with "road jackets" that were fashion? I remember seeing a Mariners' one in gray with the road wordmark Seattle across the chest, but I don't think I've ever seen the team wear them.

On the other hand, you have the Nationals, who have to have two jackets so their color scheme doesn't die.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

I've seen an orange version of the Orioles jacket, which is basically a reversal of the standard black jacket.

Despite all the hating, there is a historical precedent for red in the Pirates color scheme: red, yellow and black are the colors of the Pennsylvania Railroad. I may be alone in this, but I loved the black jersey with the yellow and red lettering/numbers, and the original alternate cap that went with it. Now, I wouldn't run out there and put the Pirates in a red jersey (although I DO think they should revive the black one), but, then, I wouldn't use that number font, either.

PLEASE NO!!!!!!!! As a diehard Bucco fan (yes I admit that) we aren't red. I wouldn't be surprised as much as they push red hats and tshirts at the field though. It's not about fans or tradition or the "city" colors. It's about money. If they would focus more of who they put on the field instead of what they wear on the field, maybe they wouldn't be knocking on or achieving 100 losses per year. By the way, this is year 15 coming up in the 5 year plan.

KISSwall09.jpg

I actually own a red Pirates jersey. It was a fashion jersy from about 10 years ago (made by Starter, that's how old it is) and honestly it doesn't look bad. When I get home I'll take a picture of it. I don't think it would be the worst look in the world.

Archived