AHL to be feature in NHL 08

rvrdgsfn

06/12/2007 8:27 AM

The American Hockey League will be featured in the new NHL® 08 game from EA Sports, with all 29 teams from the primary development league for the NHL fully playable.

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that Carolina Hurricanes center and former AHL All-Star Eric Staal will be the cover athlete and spokesman for NHL 08. At the age of 23 with just four NHL seasons under his belt, this promising young player has scored a combined 75 goals over the past two seasons, notched 100 points in 2006, and was voted into his first NHL All-Star game in 2007. Already a core member of the Hurricanes, Staal led the team in points (28) during their successful 2006 Stanley Cup Playoff run that resulted in a championship.

Aside from his exceptional talent on the ice, Staal is also known as an avid gamer. ?I am a huge fan of the NHL franchise and played NHL 07 fanatically,? said Staal. ?I am honored to be named to the EA SPORTS? family and the NHL 08 team.?

Eric is the trailblazer in a family rich with hockey legacy; His brothers Marc (NY Rangers, 2005) and Jordan (Pittsburgh, 2006) were also first-round draft picks. His youngest brother, Jared, was drafted in the first round of the 2006 OHL Draft by Sudbury. The Thunder Bay, Ontario natives grew up playing together on an outdoor rink built for them by their father in their backyard. Eric played with his brother Jordan on the 2007 Canadian IIHF World Championship team that won gold against Finland in Moscow. Younger brothers Marc and Jared are teammates with the Ontario Hockey League?s Sudbury Wolves.

Staal joins a long list of highly decorated athletes as the North American cover athlete of an EA SPORTS NHL videogame.

NHL Franchise Cover Athlete

NHL 08 Eric Staal

NHL 07 Alexander Ovechkin

NHL 06 Vincent Lecavalier

NHL 2005 Markus Naslund

NHL 2004 Joe Sakic

NHL 2003 Jarome Iginla

NHL 2002 Mario Lemieux

NHL 2001 Owen Nolan

NHL 2000 Chris Pronger

NHL 99 Eric Lindros

NHL 98 Peter Forsberg

NHL 97* John Vanbiesbrouck

*NHL 97 was the first iteration of the franchise to feature single cover athletes

EA SPORTS ? pioneers in the Golden Age of hockey videogames ? continues to lead the charge in the next gen era with advancements in AI intelligence, innovative controls, online depth and an unmatched level of authenticity to the sport.

The revolutionary Skill Stick System evolves in NHL 08 and delivers an unparalleled level of control. An all-new deking system enables you to move the puck off your stick, to walk around a defender and give you space in front to challenge the goalie. Enhanced analog speed control and a new skating engine give you the precision and fluidity to play like you would on the ice.

NHL 08 will feature an exclusive AHL license for the first time, with all 29 teams from the primary development league for the NHL fully playable in game.

The EA SPORTS NHL franchise is the #1 selling hockey game and the #1 selling sports game in Canada*. NHL 08 is being developed under the EA SPORTS by EA Canada in Vancouver, B.C. The game will be available for the PLAYSTATION®3 system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360? video game system from Microsoft, and PC. For more information, log onto www.nhl08.com. Media can find screenshots and video of the game at http://info.ea.com.

baltimoreravens.png

The NHL 2004 cover originally featured Dany Heatly. Within weeks of its release Heatly was involved in what we're all familiar with. EA curse, perhaps? In the fallout EA replaced Dany on the cover with Joe Sakic.

I have the original.

There are hundreds of minor league city residents always hopeful that one day, their hometown team would be featured in a video game. If I had one of the systems this game was being developed for, I would most definitely revel in the opportunity to play as the Rochester Amerks. Awesome, awesome stuff.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The NHL 2004 cover originally featured Dany Heatly. Within weeks of its release Heatly was involved in what we're all familiar with. EA curse, perhaps? In the fallout EA replaced Dany on the cover with Joe Sakic.

I have the original.

The original NHL 2004 coverboy was Joe Thornton (still with the Bruins). Then, before the game was even released, he and his brother got into a fight with a cop at a nightclub. So they went with Dany Heatley. And then...well...

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I have the original.

The original NHL 2004 coverboy was Joe Thornton (still with the Bruins). Then, before the game was even released, he and his brother got into a fight with a cop at a nightclub. So they went with Dany Heatley. And then...well...

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

I had forgotten that.

Sakic had to feel good about that cover, being 3rd choice and all.

The last version I bought was the Dany Heatley, but having the AHL in the game is a great incentive.

(Barely played it anyway, I'm stuck on 2002)

I'm getting this one for sure.

Maybe NHL 10 will feature all 3 Staals...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I have the original.

I have the Heatley one as well. As fo he AHL being in the game, I think it's awesome that means there will be a lot more prospects and that in a dynasty mode you should be able to have 80 players under contract (40 on both squads) which is pretty cool!

untitled-6.jpg

To be able to control my pens and the... other Pens?

Awesomeness

Its going to be intresting to see how the EA hadles minor/major roster movements.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

are they going to have uhl in nhl09 ooh what about nhl street

go komets

What's this? Stretch has learned how to skate

Bonafide!

This game's sounding really good. From what I've read they've tidyed up the gameplay that NHL 07 made a good base for and they've added features such as the Skills Competition for the All-Star Game, practice drills, and now the AHL. It's like they're bringing in some of the fun features of their hoops, football, and baseball games and adding onto a game that's got a lot of potential in the first place.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I've bought the EA Sports NHL game every year for PC since '98 (call me a sucker). After buying NHL 07 and playing with the horrible skill-stick, I went out and bought NHL 2K7 for Xbox360 after I got that. I liked 2K7 better than 07. I've wanted AHL affiliates for soooooo long, it might bring me back to the EA Sports fold.

Now if only EA Sports would listen to my thoughts and make a deal with the CFL. Take out 9 historical teams (who really cares about playing the '59 Bears against the '69 Jets?), add a 12 player on the field, make the field wider and longer. They already have NFL Europe teams in there cause they have the licence.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

I thought about giving up on the EA Sports NHL franchise, but these new improvements might keep me around. Now, if they'd just bring back the playoffs-only mode (which seems to be missing from the PC version of NHL07, where the closest thing is the lame "World Tournament" mode), it would be near perfection.

CCSLC signature.png

Archived