Big Ten wants to adding a member

footballfiji

and there fast rising baseball program, it help in all sports.

Baseball is a non-issue, since not all Big Ten schools play baseball. Same theory with hockey, if anyone brings it up (not all Big Ten schools are in the same hockey conference - I don't think they all play hockey, either).

It's where I sit.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were Pitt I would not go to the Big Ten simply because Pitt was one of the first Big East teams. And being one of the best conferences in college's two biggest sports {Football and Basketball} being in the Big East has alot of perks, even if you arent very good.

oBIgzrL.png

With the idea of a 12-team conference, these are some of the places they could play their championship game:

- Soldier Field - Chicago

- Lambeau Field - Green Bay

- RCA Dome/Lucas Oil Stadium - Indianapolis

- Cleveland Browns Stadium - Cleveland

- Paul Brown Stadium - Cincinnati

- Ford Field - Detroit

- HHH Metrodome/possible new Vikings Stadium - Minneapolis

Could you imagine seeing OSU-Michigan playing in Lambeau or Soldier Field for the Big Ten title?

Could you imagine seeing OSU-Michigan playing in Lambeau or Soldier Field for the Big Ten title?

No. The Packers most likely wouldn't allow it for fear of the damage it would do to the field. They're REALLY protective of it.

Cool idea, but highly unlikely.

It's where I sit.

As much as this Nebraska fan would enjoy seeing his team win any Conference title again....

The Big XII without Nebraska, and vice-versa, would be sacrilege. It's bad enough Nebraska doesn't play Oklahoma every year, but to dump their remaining rivals would be worse.

Besides, with the program looking to be back on the rise, and the rest of the North division in various stages of "butt-lossedness", why give up a virtually guaranteed slot in your Conference title game every year?

I just don't think a Big East school would work in the Big Ten. Yes, I know Rutgers would deliver NYC as a market, but the Big Ten is a Midwest Conference, not an Eastern Seaboard one.

I still think the "random MAC team" has better odds...simply because the lower tier Big Ten schools would love to have someone to beat up on.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With the idea of a 12-team conference, these are some of the places they could play their championship game:

- Soldier Field - Chicago

- Lambeau Field - Green Bay

- RCA Dome/Lucas Oil Stadium - Indianapolis

- Cleveland Browns Stadium - Cleveland

- Paul Brown Stadium - Cincinnati

- Ford Field - Detroit

- HHH Metrodome/possible new Vikings Stadium - Minneapolis

Remember--if Rutgers is in play hypothetically, there's a brand spanking new Meadowlands that is expected to be open come 2010 at the latest...

I'd say you could also have them rotate it on a 12-year basis to every school, but the revenues wouldn't be anything worthwhile for them a few of those years...unless like Indiana "Hosted" in Indianaplis and Northwestern "Hosted" at Soldier Field, etc...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Ugh. Please leave my Big East conference alone.

Agreed, we don't need to lose a team in our small conference. The only Big East school I could remotely (and I mean so remotely that there is no chance until hell freezes over) see going to the Big Ten would be either Pitt, Cincinnati, or Louisville (in that order).

Honestly, I don't see any Big East teams leaving that conference only because you have a better shot at going to the BCS in an 8-team conference than in a 12-team conference, but who knows....money talks.

I'd only be happy with Notre Dame (won't happen), Mizzou, or another Big 12 school. Pretty much any Big 12 school wouldn't upset me. There are a few Big East Schools that wouldn't be awful, but a random MAC school wouldn't be ideal in my eyes. I know Mid-Majors are good now and everything, and they have terrific programs both on the field and off, but when you think Big Ten, you think Michigan, Ohio State, schools that are known around the country for being historically the best in sports and in the classroom. You don't think Toledo, Northern Illinois or Louisville.

Again, I'm not trying to rip on those schools at all..even though I realize I'm doing a good job of it. But I'm just thinking of the (possibly imaginary) mistique of the Big Ten. I'm just saying...5 years ago would the thought of adding Toledo to the Big Ten have made sense?

Also, and I know this is as likely as Notre Dame coming, but when they added Penn State, I think it was maybe 5 years after that there was serious consideration to adding a 12th team (could have been when negotiations with Notre Dame broke down), one of the other schools mentioned was Texas. I just remember the News Gazette having an article on about 10 schools and if I remember right they were:

Notre Dame

Iowa State

Missouri (the Writers pick at the time)

Pitt

And then there were some more unlikely ones like:

Texas Tech

Texas

Northern Illinois

Southern Illinois

Kentucky

I mean, I don't remember exactly (this was 10-15 years ago) but I remember a write up and it could have been one writers opinion and nothing more.

Baseball is a non-issue, since not all Big Ten schools play baseball. Same theory with hockey, if anyone brings it up (not all Big Ten schools are in the same hockey conference - I don't think they all play hockey, either).

Right. All Big Ten schools play baseball except Wisconsin.

The Big Ten doesn't sponsor hockey because the only schools with hockey are Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State. Wisconsin and Minnesota play in the WCHA and the other three play in the CCHA

Illinois has a very good club team. I'm not sure about Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, Purdue or Indiana but I'm pretty sure they don't have D1 hockey.

I just can't envision any of the candidate schools mentioned in this thread playing in the Big Ten. If anything, the Big Ten should get rid of one team (*cough*Northwestern*cough*) and go back to really being the Big Ten again.

CCSLC signature.png

Right. All Big Ten schools play baseball except Wisconsin.

The Big Ten doesn't sponsor hockey because the only schools with hockey are Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State. Wisconsin and Minnesota play in the WCHA and the other three play in the CCHA

Illinois has a very good club team. I'm not sure about Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, Purdue or Indiana but I'm pretty sure they don't have D1 hockey.

Penn State has a good club team too. They won the ACHA championship four years in a row and have beat NCAA teams.

All Big Ten schools have hockey in some form, but only some have NCAA programs like you said. But since they all do have some sort of hockey program, a Big Ten hockey conference has been talked about. But it's not very likely to happen anytime soon. Illinois and Penn State are really the only teams likely to move up to NCAA hockey.

As for new members. I think Pitt or Syracuse would be the best fits. Pitt especially because of a rivalry with Penn State. A competitive MAC team would be likely too, but none of them have large enough stadiums.

Northwestern won't leave the Big Ten as they are an original member and considered the Harvard or Stanford of the Midwest. Not to mention the Big Ten would lose Chicago as a market.

Right now Louisville looks the best in my opinion as it has an elite basketball program, up-and-coming football program, and out of all the suggested candidates, they have the least to lose.

I just can't envision any of the candidate schools mentioned in this thread playing in the Big Ten. If anything, the Big Ten should get rid of one team (*cough*Northwestern*cough*) and go back to really being the Big Ten again.

Northwestern is in the Big Ten for the same reasons Vanderbilt is in the SEC, Wake Forest is in the ACC, Baylor is in the Big 12 and so on......because they give the conference a better overall academic image.

Northwestern won't leave the Big Ten as they are an original member and considered the Harvard or Stanford of the Midwest. Not to mention the Big Ten would lose Chicago as a market.

Right now Louisville looks the best in my opinion as it has an elite basketball program, up-and-coming football program, and out of all the suggested candidates, they have the least to lose.

Football kings of the Big East strikes me as a big thing to lose. As does the free ESPN marketing that Big East membership gives you in basketball.

Northwestern isn't a complete drag on the Big Ten, though. I'd sooner boot out Penn State.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived