Chicago 2016 Logo Redux

Sodboy13

Despite the gradientosity, and the fact that the original version was so damned brilliant, this looks very nice.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a downgrade from the first logo, but seriously how can you get any better than that first logo? That thing was damn brilliant and simple. I'll just say this: should Chicago get the games, they can always use that first logo as the official one. Unless there's another olympic rule against that.

galaxy.png

Still opposed to the cause it represents....

Oh, you and me both. If Chicago gets awarded the games next year, I'm going to my boss and giving him 7 years' notice about my 16-day vacation in '16. This town's gonna be an unqualified cluster:censored:, to say nothing about what it's going to do to state, county, and municipal finances...

Ask me about construction-related traffic snarls due to Vancouver 2010!

If it's anything like the infamous traffic problems in LA in 1984, then I'm there because it will become a ghost town. There were so many fears that LA's traffic would be horrible that everyone left and there were no traffic problems.

Definitely a downgrade from the first logo, but seriously how can you get any better than that first logo? That thing was damn brilliant and simple. I'll just say this: should Chicago get the games, they can always use that first logo as the official one. Unless there's another olympic rule against that.

After they win the bid, they can go back to the cool original logo.

slugbat.jpg

I think they hit a home run with the first one for sure. But I also think the logoing is getting out of hand... one for the US competition, now one as a global candidate, then one if they get chosen. Just design a nice iconic logo and stick with it!

They didn't change the logo for a new stage in the process; it was against IOC regulations for them to have torch imagery in their logo and this change was made as per the request of the IOC.

I think they hit a home run with the first one for sure. But I also think the logoing is getting out of hand... one for the US competition, now one as a global candidate, then one if they get chosen. Just design a nice iconic logo and stick with it!

They didn't change the logo for a new stage in the process; it was against IOC regulations for them to have torch imagery in their logo and this change was made as per the request of the IOC.

Do you remember Atlanta?? They started out with that cool A star, then changed to the stupid torch for the games. Not saying you are wrong but...now here is a stretch...the IOC is kinda inconsistent in that regard.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Do you remember Atlanta?? They started out with that cool A star, then changed to the stupid torch for the games. Not saying you are wrong but...now here is a stretch...the IOC is kinda inconsistent in that regard.

That's because the games had been awarded to them. Chicago isn't allowed to use torch imagery until they actually are awarded the Olympics.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's because the games had been awarded to them. Chicago isn't allowed to use torch imagery until they actually are awarded the Olympics.

Well I learn something every day! :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Prague2016.JPG

Prague

Rio, Doha and Madrid are using generic wordmarks for now.

Baku doesn't even have a website as best I can tell. I'd say they're a long shot.

I kind of like that in a weird way. Reminds me of a plant or crop.

I just don't like how some of these logos are incorporating the Olympic colors. Doesn't seem to work IMO. Makes me like the Chicago logo much more because they don't seem to be just throwing in all of the colors just to have them in the logo.

Is it common knowledge that the star in the Chicago symbol has to do with their city flag? I would imagine the Olympics would be worth a fifth star for it.

Maybe I should've re-read the initial post, which mentioned it. Even so, I think that point got lost in this conversation, and was worth bringing back up.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

• 8 months later...
With the selection the IOC's "short list" for 2016 Olympic Games today (Chicago, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, and Madrid), are the same logo rules still in play (as in, the original torch logo is still prohibited?) I figure they probably are, but didn't know if the guidelines change at this point.

Back when I was in college in the late 80s and early 90s, I did some work with a group trying to bring the 2014 or 2018 Winter Olympics or 2012 Summer Olympics to Boston/New England, and from what I remember (and I confirmed this with some people who I know who worked on the NYC Olympic bid), when you go from "Applicant City" to "Candidate City" you keep the same logo, but you change the wording from "Applicant City" to "Candidate City" and you can officially use the Olympic Rings in the logo.

That will likely be the only change you'll see.

I still think Boston would be a GREAT city to host the Olympics, but the city's political climate prevented any bid from getting off the ground. Our preliminary analysis done in 1989 indicated there would be minimal facilities needed to be built for the Summer Games because of all of the colleges in the area, and the one big missing link was an Olympic Stadium, which could now be held at Gillette Stadium (with some additional seating), and hotel rooms - which is also being taken care of these days.

With the selection the IOC's "short list" for 2016 Olympic Games today (Chicago, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, and Madrid), are the same logo rules still in play (as in, the original torch logo is still prohibited?) I figure they probably are, but didn't know if the guidelines change at this point.

They do change. Chicago will be unveiling its new logo (WITH Olympic rings) on Friday, so says the Chicago Tribune/Chicago Sun-Times/Sports Business Journal yesterday.

Cards.png

They do change. Chicago will be unveiling its new logo (WITH Olympic rings) on Friday, so says the Chicago Tribune/Chicago Sun-Times/Sports Business Journal yesterday.

According to the Chicago 2016 website, the only change is the rings...

http://www.chicago2016.org/News/Pages/ChicagoChosen.aspx

Unless I'm misinterpreting what they're saying/doing.

Nope, think you've got it:

2. The bid will update its logo in two ways: it will replace the words ?Applicant City? with ?Candidate City? and also add the Olympic rings to its logo. The IOC must formally approve the new emblem, at which point Chicago 2016 will be able to include it on the Web site and in promotional materials. (The IOC prohibits the use of the Olympic rings for commercial purposes.)

Still hope that they go back to the old one if they get the Games.

Beijing aside, how much do host city's usually have to construct to get ready for the Olympics? Like do they always have to build a new Olympic Stadium or can they use an existing structure? Seems like a waste for a lot of places if they have to go create this new super-stadium for only a 2 week affair, esp. after the Games leave and there's nothing afterwards that can fill capacity.

Archived