2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

"Waaaaaaaaaaah, the league hates us! The refs hate us!"

Yeah, you and twenty-nine other teams. Wah.

The other 29 teams don't get put on double secret probation after handing out (overreacted to) suspensions.

You are mistaken. THIS is an anti hero.

The Flyers are just an unflashy NHL team with a slightly higher rate of on-ice thuggery.

I know, the Flyers are such thugs. I mean look at Steve Downie for example, he comes into training camp and preseason trying to make the team, working hard, really energentic and he gets a little carried away and leaves his skates and destroys a guy with his head down and gets 20 games... yet Pronger stomps a guys leg with his ****ing skate and gets what, 8? Yeah that makes sense.

Oh my! You got us there with the whole tanking and Bettman thing! Not only is it, like, the most original insult to the pens ever, but its sooooooo logical! Its not like tanking was the last thing they wanted to do since losing is almost exactly what kept them from getting a new arena for so long.

Seriously? People still believe that whole pens-tanking-with-the-help-of-Bettman bull :censored: ?

The refs will be favoring, if anyone, the Flyers this round. Out of the 8 matchups between the teams this year, the refs have screwed over Pittsburgh far more than Philly.

Just because an argument isn't "original" doesn't mean it's not valid. At least the Flyers moved back up to a competitive franchise without having to tank forever and win a shady draft lottery.

And you're right about the screwing, I mean handing the Penguins a full two-minute phantom 5-3 in a critical late season game REALLY screwed the Penguins over. Poor Crosby and his Philly-Flu in the last game of the season. He could have saved himself the punishment he's about to recieve if he would have played that game, helped beat the Flyers and got them seeded against a team better than the Caps. Then again, it's Pittsburgh hockey to tank at opportune times, I mean they did manage to get the cake walk that was Ottawa.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The complaining about the referees and the conspiracy theories are two reasons why I can barely stand the local broadcasters and idiot callers into WIP and even the "other" channel. Seriously - shut up - you just make us all look bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And you're right about the screwing, I mean handing the Penguins a full two-minute phantom 5-3 in a critical late season game REALLY screwed the Penguins over. Poor Crosby and his Philly-Flu in the last game of the season. He could have saved himself the punishment he's about to recieve if he would have played that game, helped beat the Flyers and got them seeded against a team better than the Caps. Then again, it's Pittsburgh hockey to tank at opportune times, I mean they did manage to get the cake walk that was Ottawa.

Everyone likes cake. ^_^

Hi, how are you?

Everyone likes cake. ^_^

... unless it's fruitcake.

I saw, I came, I left.

Everyone likes cake. ^_^

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Hi, how are you?

Everyone likes cake. ^_^

:huh: ... I was thinking of the traditional Christmas delicacy... :unsure:

I saw, I came, I left.

In other news, Don Cherry has been hired by ESPN to appear on Sportscenter because there isn't enough shouting on ESPN right now.

Cherry will offer live postgame reports on-site during the conference finals, and he will join Melrose and ESPN's Steve Levy for pre- and postgame analysis during the Stanley Cup finals. Cherry will also appear on ESPNEWS and ESPN Radio and will continue his work for the CBC during the playoffs.

Cherry will donate his ESPN fee to the Humane Society.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008...tory?id=3384071

Yikes, Cherry and Melrose together for the Final. Make sure you have sunglasses.

In other news, Don Cherry has been hired by ESPN to appear on Sportscenter because there isn't enough shouting on ESPN right now.
Cherry will offer live postgame reports on-site during the conference finals, and he will join Melrose and ESPN's Steve Levy for pre- and postgame analysis during the Stanley Cup finals. Cherry will also appear on ESPNEWS and ESPN Radio and will continue his work for the CBC during the playoffs.

Cherry will donate his ESPN fee to the Humane Society.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008...tory?id=3384071

Yikes, Cherry and Melrose together for the Final. Make sure you have sunglasses.

YES!!!!!

More Don Cherry is always a good thing

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The other 29 teams don't get put on double secret probation after handing out (overreacted to) suspensions.

The Flyers are just an unflashy NHL team with a slightly higher rate of on-ice thuggery.

I know, the Flyers are such thugs. I mean look at Steve Downie for example, he comes into training camp and preseason trying to make the team, working hard, really energentic and he gets a little carried away and leaves his skates and destroys a guy with his head down and gets 20 games... yet Pronger stomps a guys leg with his ****ing skate and gets what, 8? Yeah that makes sense.

Oh my! You got us there with the whole tanking and Bettman thing! Not only is it, like, the most original insult to the pens ever, but its sooooooo logical! Its not like tanking was the last thing they wanted to do since losing is almost exactly what kept them from getting a new arena for so long.

Seriously? People still believe that whole pens-tanking-with-the-help-of-Bettman bull :censored: ?

The refs will be favoring, if anyone, the Flyers this round. Out of the 8 matchups between the teams this year, the refs have screwed over Pittsburgh far more than Philly.

Just because an argument isn't "original" doesn't mean it's not valid. At least the Flyers moved back up to a competitive franchise without having to tank forever and win a shady draft lottery.

Umm...no. It was not a phantom call. And tanking is not Pittsburgh hockey.

It was not a tanked game. I say once, I say again. THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON WAS NOT TANKED NOR WERE THE SEASONS PRIOR TO DRAFTING CROSBY.

1. Its not a valid argument. Tanking was not an option for the pens prior to the lockout. Losing meant moving.

2. So you signed some guys in the offseason. Whoopity do. We couldnt. The pens, and the city of Pittsburgh itself, were strapped for cash and had to rely on home-grown talent. Pittsburgh doesnt have the dough Philly does.

Bottom line. Pens. could. not. tank. They lost because they couldnt afford big-name guys and had to rely on draft picks. Its all they had left.

3. Philly flu? Thats about as realistic as cooties. So he rested the last game of the season so he could do well in the playoffs. GOD FORBID. Maybe the pens lost because they were trying to stay healthy for the playoffs? Do you REALLY think. Seriously. That a team would willingly and purposely give up a game to their rival in which winning it could get them a title? Maybe they didnt want to engage in the goonery that is Philadelphia hockey?

Serisouly. If you love your team so much, why not say you beat us and kept us from getting the conference title? If you really think about it, saying we tanked is actually not saying much of yourselves either.

Your team is good and is making a nice unexpected run...but hopefully now the pens can end it and just shut up everyone who says they tanked to avoid you.

oBIgzrL.png

Everyone likes cake. ^_^

:huh: ... I was thinking of the traditional Christmas delicacy... :unsure:

I know, it was a bad attempt at a joke using a Seinfeld reference.

Hi, how are you?

Umm...no. It was not a phantom call. And tanking is not Pittsburgh hockey.

It was not a tanked game. I say once, I say again. THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON WAS NOT TANKED NOR WERE THE SEASONS PRIOR TO DRAFTING CROSBY.

1. Its not a valid argument. Tanking was not an option for the pens prior to the lockout. Losing meant moving.

2. So you signed some guys in the offseason. Whoopity do. We couldnt. The pens, and the city of Pittsburgh itself, were strapped for cash and had to rely on home-grown talent. Pittsburgh doesnt have the dough Philly does.

Bottom line. Pens. could. not. tank. They lost because they couldnt afford big-name guys and had to rely on draft picks. Its all they had left.

3. Philly flu? Thats about as realistic as cooties. So he rested the last game of the season so he could do well in the playoffs. GOD FORBID. Maybe the pens lost because they were trying to stay healthy for the playoffs? Maybe they didnt want to engage in the goonery that is Philadelphia hockey?

Serisouly. If you love your team so much, why not say you beat us fair and square and kept us from getting the conference title? If you really think about it, saying we tanked is actually not saying much of yourselves either.

Ugh...

Listen, if you can say it wasn't tanked then he can say it was. Case closed.

Your saying they couldn't tank because they couldn't afford to, yet they were fine if they lost. It's the exact same thing, if you tank you lose, so if anything your not making valid arguments. They may not have tanked but they lost, SAME RESULT!

He obviously knows your a good team now, he said you tanked to get the team you have today.

God I hope the Flyers win.

Hi, how are you?

Your saying they couldn't tank because they couldn't afford to, yet they were fine if they lost. It's the exact same thing, if you tank you lose, so if anything your not making valid arguments. They may not have tanked but they lost, SAME RESULT!

No. What im saying is that they lost because they could not win, not because they chose not to win.

Yeah, either way they lost and ended up drafting who they did, but they did not lose to draft them.

oBIgzrL.png

No. What im saying is that they lost because they could not win, not because they chose not to win.

Umm nooo, you said that they couldn't afford to tank. Because if they lost, that means they would move.

Hi, how are you?

Umm nooo, you said that they couldn't afford to tank. Because if they lost, that means they would move.

Right. If they lose they move. That was their motivation not to tank. So they didnt, but still lost because they did not have the ability to win.

Yes, the still lost and are still here, but that was luck. The Pittsburgh government couldve easily turned the other cheek to the pens' arena pleas like it already had been for years.

oBIgzrL.png

Right. If they lose they move. That was their motivation not to tank. So they didnt, but still lost because they did not have the ability to win.

Yes, the still lost and are still here, but that was luck. The Pittsburgh government couldve easily turned the other cheek to the pens' arena pleas like it already had been for years.

My GOD,

You said they couldn't afford to tank on the sole fact that if you tank you obviously lose, and that would mean they would move. BUT they could afford to lose regularly, considering that's what they did, and are still here.

THIS IS THE POINT I'M MAKING.

Hi, how are you?

My GOD,

You said they couldn't afford to tank on the sole fact that if you tank you obviously lose, and that would mean they would move. BUT they could afford to lose regularly, considering that's what they did, and are still here.

THIS IS THE POINT I'M MAKING.

Personally, I would think tanking at the risk of the team having to move would be a much wiser choice than trying to win, and still sucking, at the risk of the team having to move, so I'm kind of in agreement with Shanurr here. I hope what i just put makes sense.

The team was facing potential relocation either way -- so why not tank and help your chances at getting the "Next One", adding him to a team with a young, highly touted goalie (Fleury) and a highly touted player like Malkin and suddenly you have a team with one of the brightest futures in the League -- as opposed to being a bad team with a pretty good looking future. I'd have figured a team with Crosby would've been more likely to gain the nessecary support than a team without.

I'm certainly no expert on the whole Penguins relocation and potential reasons that there would've been for it (or -- let's be honest -- hockey in general these days), but I don't know, Maz, I don't think your argument is a particularly good one.

IUe6Hvh.png

In regards to the last game of the regular season, I'm not saying they tanked or not. I will say that I think it worked out better for both teams with the result that occurred. The Flyers really didn't want to play Pittsburgh first, and the Pens probably didn't want to play Philadelphia first.

LvZYtbZ.png

man this reminds me of my fantasy hockey days where we had a gm sell off all the talent, hired a whole bunch of bottom of the league junior level scrubs. Then intentionally jobbed out all 82 games. and aquired the number 1 pick based on record (0-82-0). During the off season, we implemented a rule where the draft would no longer be based on record but by lottery. The top 10 got picks based on a lottery pick and teams 11-30 would get picks based on record. Same for the top 10 in every round. Salery dumps was permitted but teams trying to intentionally job their season just to get in to the top 10 were either warned or out right fired. This was an attempt to maintain a realistic and competitive balance in the league.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived