2007-08 NHL Season Thread

Viper

The Penguins tanking to get Crosby is irrelevant as they won the draw to draft him. They did have more chances to get the first pick, but lady luck was on their side that day.

And don't start with "It was set up by Bettman"... Don't you think the 29 other managers would've said something?

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Penguins tanking to get Crosby is irrelevant as they won the draw to draft him. They did have more chances to get the first pick, but lady luck was on their side that day.

And don't start with "It was set up by Bettman"... Don't you think the 29 other managers would've said something?

now why did you have to go and ruin this conversation by adding common sense. :mad:

oh and you would be correct with that assertion. ^_^

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

If I remember right, the Crosby draft was an equally-weighted draft, since it took place after the lockout season. I don't remember that draft lottery having any teams with more chances to land the top pick than any other team....

Your saying they couldn't tank because they couldn't afford to, yet they were fine if they lost. It's the exact same thing, if you tank you lose, so if anything your not making valid arguments. They may not have tanked but they lost, SAME RESULT!

No. What im saying is that they lost because they could not win, not because they chose not to win.

Umm nooo, you said that they couldn't afford to tank. Because if they lost, that means they would move.

Right. If they lose they move. That was their motivation not to tank. So they didnt, but still lost because they did not have the ability to win.

Yes, the still lost and are still here, but that was luck. The Pittsburgh government couldve easily turned the other cheek to the pens' arena pleas like it already had been for years.

My GOD,

You said they couldn't afford to tank on the sole fact that if you tank you obviously lose, and that would mean they would move. BUT they could afford to lose regularly, considering that's what they did, and are still here.

THIS IS THE POINT I'M MAKING.

Personally, I would think tanking at the risk of the team having to move would be a much wiser choice than trying to win, and still sucking, at the risk of the team having to move, so I'm kind of in agreement with Shanurr here. I hope what i just put makes sense.

The team was facing potential relocation either way -- so why not tank and help your chances at getting the "Next One", adding him to a team with a young, highly touted goalie (Fleury) and a highly touted player like Malkin and suddenly you have a team with one of the brightest futures in the League -- as opposed to being a bad team with a pretty good looking future. I'd have figured a team with Crosby would've been more likely to gain the nessecary support than a team without.

I'm certainly no expert on the whole Penguins relocation and potential reasons that there would've been for it (or -- let's be honest -- hockey in general these days), but I don't know, Maz, I don't think your argument is a particularly good one.

Ok, yinz guys got me there. But, im sure its safe to assume that Mario Lemieux is honest enough not to order his team to tank...especially since he was (attempting to still be) playing at that time. Hes not one who likes to lose, especially on purpose.

If I remember right, the Crosby draft was an equally-weighted draft, since it took place after the lockout season. I don't remember that draft lottery having any teams with more chances to land the top pick than any other team....

Both bring up good points. Theres no logical way that we got Crosby unfairly. We had the same chance as anyone.

Bottom line: Pittsburgh hockey is never was, isnt now, and never will be "tanking at the right time."

Also, go Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins who are facing the Phantoms. Lets go for an organization-wide domination!

oBIgzrL.png

I believe the Penguins had the best chance to get him. The draft was still weighted based on the records of the 2003-04 season.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

The number of balls for the lottery was determined by playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the previous 3 years...

More info from Wiki

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I believe the Penguins had the best chance to get him. The draft was still weighted based on the records of the 2003-04 season.

If the NHL really wanted to fix the lottery they would have sent Crosby to the Rangers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Man... the Leafs are such clowns. He was clearly not the problem.

The Sens NEED to go get Pat Burns.

I couldn't agree with you more. For the first time :P

Well, you can't be wrong 100% of the time. :D

I would love to see them play a good solid defensive style even if it means less entertaining games, not that these past games have been fun to watch.

I'm pretty sure we'll get him.

Hi, how are you?

You know what, folks? Good teams overcome bad times.

Who cares if you lost the game on a power-play goal on a bad call? It's your team's jobs to kill the penalty! I wouldn't worry so much about the officiating so much as your team's lack of ability to kill a penalty.

Good teams have no excuses.

So stop whining and suck it up, bitches.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Man... the Leafs are such clowns. He was clearly not the problem.

The Sens NEED to go get Pat Burns.

I couldn't agree with you more. For the first time :P

Well, you can't be wrong 100% of the time. :D

I would love to see them play a good solid defensive style even if it means less entertaining games, not that these past games have been fun to watch.

I'm pretty sure we'll get him.

I just want a coach that they will fear. Pat Burns is that coach. No more boys club... y'know.

thecatch.jpg

The number of balls for the lottery was determined by playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the previous 3 years...

More info from Wiki

There we go. While the Penguins had a slightly better chance at Crosby, 3 other teams had that same chance.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What if the Bluejackets had gotten him? For some reason I don't think people would be as skeptical.

Oh...I'm sure then the "fix would be in" so Columbus can survive as a market. :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived