Rebranding the NHL: San Jose Sharks

GFB

Everything looks great, but there's one thing that's kinda bothering me. In the primary logo, to the left of the shark/upper left corner of the triangle/shield, it just looks odd. The shark's body's clearly getting thinner as it goes back, but it's so much thicker with the black in the shield.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say. The uniforms are what they should be wearing. Perhaps try to lose the white outline within the "H" and the "K" on the two "S"s. Does that make sense? Hopefully more simply put, rather than overlapping "Sh" and "kS", why not make them sinlge shapes, or um, ligatures? (I think it's a ligature, where you make them one shape)

Both of these critiques are spot on.

I'll add that I think a J should go with the S, as traditionally it is the city that gets represented with a monogram, not the nickname (though that is getting more common.)

Overall, this is very good work.

I don't know about you, but I can see as much of a "J" as I can an "S". Or at least that was the way I designed it to look.

I guess now that you pointed that out I can see it, but honestly IMO it is clearly an "S" first, probably because the entire mark is the S, and the J is only one part of it that couldn't stand independantly on its own (I hope that made sense, but it probably didn't.)

That, and you used that same "S" in the wordmark twice. I honestly thought it could've used a "J" as well, although I do kinda see them both in there.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything looks great, but there's one thing that's kinda bothering me. In the primary logo, to the left of the shark/upper left corner of the triangle/shield, it just looks odd. The shark's body's clearly getting thinner as it goes back, but it's so much thicker with the black in the shield.

Other than that, I don't have much else to say. The uniforms are what they should be wearing. Perhaps try to lose the white outline within the "H" and the "K" on the two "S"s. Does that make sense? Hopefully more simply put, rather than overlapping "Sh" and "kS", why not make them sinlge shapes, or um, ligatures? (I think it's a ligature, where you make them one shape)

Both of these critiques are spot on.

I'll add that I think a J should go with the S, as traditionally it is the city that gets represented with a monogram, not the nickname (though that is getting more common.)

Overall, this is very good work.

I don't know about you, but I can see as much of a "J" as I can an "S". Or at least that was the way I designed it to look.

I guess now that you pointed that out I can see it, but honestly IMO it is clearly an "S" first, probably because the entire mark is the S, and the J is only one part of it that couldn't stand independantly on its own (I hope that made sense, but it probably didn't.)

That, and you used that same "S" in the wordmark twice. I honestly thought it could've used a "J" as well, although I do kinda see them both in there.

The tertiary logo is supposed to look like an S. an J, and a fishing hook all at the same time. Yet, I can see how it would create confusion when it is used in another logo as an S.

Tempest - This was supposed to be the main logo until I changed it a little before releasing. Maybe this is a little more of your taste....

San_Jose_Unused_Logo.png

Love this set. There are a couple things about it that I dont like...but in a way its not your fault. In every sharks logo the upper lefthand corner has always looked weird to me. You were pretty much updating the sharks logos and you just happened to take that element of it but other that that little flaw I would have to say its probably your 2nd or 3rd best thus far!!!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

My only real complaint is that the silver really seems to get lost a lot of times(it might actually look better with the orange), and the road jersey's numbers desperately need some black, otherwise I imagine they'd be impossible to read.

Outside of that, this might be my favorite of yours yet. Love the wordmark, the alternate logos, and the fonts used.

When I first looked at your logo I realized that did not really have a very good idea of what the original or new logo's looked like. I'd never expected them up close before. And after searching the two logos I have a few things to say. First of all, it's great to see that you used the origanl colour scheme. I was always a fan of that as well, just no so much the jersey design (which you cleaned up very nicely). Next, what in god's name were they thinking with the new logo? It looks so amateurish! Your logo blows the new one out of the water (so to speak). I also think the clean lines and simple yet professional look of your logo places it above the original sharks logo. And your secondary logo is just fantastic. Works great as a shoulder patch or a third jersey. I didn't see the fishing hook at first when I looked at the S/J but now that you mentioned it, I enjoy the logo much more. My only criticism is with the right point of the S. It seems to stick out too far and brings unnecessary focus and weight to the part of the logo. But I can completely understand why it is out that far given that you gave a uniform width to the outline of the letter but none the less it still looks a bit off.

I very eagerly await your next series. I've been checking daily, but i don't mean to pressure ..

Concerning NJ, I have to agree with one of the other posters who recommended to you retain the black and red. Christmas destroyed red and green. I just can't handle that combination outside of that one month of the year.

I'm not sure if you actually know the story behind the New Jersey Devil (where the team got it's name), but it is really quite interesting so I would recommend you google it and perhaps you may get some inspiration for a new logo.

Good luck

I was really looking foward to seeing your next design. I really like how you made it ressemble more the now defunct sharks logo. Not the best one so far (the Panthers are my fav) but I love the way you update logos. You are a genius keep up the great work.

I'll be honest, this set is nice, but i really don't like that primary logo. The new one they came out with is amazing imo and you should've attempted to somewhat make it like that. I also don't like your tertiary logo, while creative, it just doesn't look right.. i can't explain it. I would've gone with that surfboard thing you were talking about in your last thread. But the positives: That new secondary logo is amazing!! I think it's easily the best logo out of your set and could even be used as the primary. I also really like the jerseys, except for the alternate which looks 'too black'.

Looking forward to your Caps concept, when can we expect it btw? :D

espnsignq8.png

The secondary logo is totally amazing , the whole look of it is amazing ...

The primary logo seems to be a bit off for some reason , like the total shark size is to small or not at the right angle or something just doesnt seem to fit right . Also the placement of the eye ( a larger eye maybe) or gils dont seem to fit properly. The fins seem to also not fit the sharks body size. I love the shape and design and the colours , but something about the actual shark seems out of scale or positon with the rest...

Awesome set though , love your work ...

The road numbers need a black outline and you should fix the little mistakes that were carried over from the original logo (tape not going all the way around the blade of the stick, knob at the top of the stick but no tape).

GFB, amazing work as usual....you are the main reason I keep coming back to the 'concepts' section of the board.

Very solid...I did catch the 'fish-hook' reference in the wordmark/secondary logo, and like it.

I also love the number font...would love to see a set of all the numbers.

Finally, your fin logo is much better than the current one. I know I didn't offer much constructive criticism, but it's not necessary here. Great job!

I love the design...from the primary down to the wordmark it's a great job! I'd put a cap on that silver stroke around the "S" and the wrodmark. The sharpness of the stroke juts out ALOT and is a little distracting. That's the only thing I'd change, tho.

Like I said, awesome job!

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

• 4 weeks later...

very nice. theres not a concept yet you've done in this series that i haven't liked. there seems to be alot of thought that goes in to this and i appreciate that. its a long time comming for someone to beautify the NHL again. so thanks for the awsome work thus far, its a pleasure to view your work.

as for the concept, i like how you used a more 'flowy' but not extreme template for the jersey. not saying what they have now is bad because i think they had the 3rd best change this offseason. but your template seems to flow better with the logo.

also the SJ, i didn't catch the fishing hook until someone brought it up, forgot which one it was. anyway, I thought it kinda had a swan/lock ness monster look to it. which actually isn't bad because it can be viewed as having the grace of a swan and the ferocity of a lock ness monster. kinda like a alpha/omega, yin-yang of balance and harmony. but thats me.

overall awsome design, i can't wait to see the rest.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived