Kansas City Chiefs

andrewharrington

First, I'm probably going to stop reading your post if it starts with or contains some form of the phrase, "The Chiefs are one of those sacred teams whose uniforms are untouchable; stop tinkering with them, you douche." So, don't waste your time if that's your comment. I've long been searching for a way to unify the dress and the helmet by integrating the black and yellow, respectively, into each. I've found that it's really difficult to make it look good, even though there are limited ways in which to integrate the colors.

With that said, I couldn't bring myself to do anything really modern or trendy, as I understand the value of tradition, and trendy is not really my preferred aesthetic, but the result certainly adds something different to the ole Chiefs' look. I don't know that I even like it better than the classic red, white and yellow, but I really don't think you can remove the black from the helmet, so in my opinion, this is the best [or one of the best] possible option(s) given the circumstances and the intention of the concept. I also eliminated the poorly drawn C letterform in the logo and replaced it with a better looking one that more closely matches the K. The logo update is very slight, and you probably wouldn't even catch it without the aid of the original for comparison.

chiefs_logo.gif

chiefs_uniform.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wow. For the longest time I've been trying to update their set, but now I can stop. They are easily the best Chiefs update I've ever seen. My only question is if the red used is the team's current red, or a new one? Either way, this is an absolutely phenomenal concept. The subtle use of black is perfect, and the new sleeving is cleverly traditional. Another plus, they look nothing like Atlanta, or Louisville, or San Francisco, or any of the other thousand sports team with colors along the lines of red, yellow, and black. Very, very original. On a side note Tempest, I love your stuff, even if I dislike the actual design, you always go above and beyond to keep things clean and professional. Great work!

Oooh, that's nice. The red's bit pink(might be my monitor though), but these are really, really nice. Although the red sock goes against NFL rules, it'd be 10 times better if they just overlooked that rule here. I didn't notice the updated "C" until I actually took a look at their current logo...it's much better/actually consitent in weight with the "K".

BTW- that's a solid template...few bells and whistles, but serves the purpose perfectly.

When I save my work for the web, the colors usually wash out. I use the actual Pantone swatch attached to the logos, which I downloaded from the NFL website, so I know the color is correct, but it never looks quite right. I need some help from Pantone's little system he uses to represent PMS colors in the RGB colorspace. I'll see what I can do to fix it. Also, I hate the sock rules, so I don't follow them. The sock rules come from a time when the dyes used to color socks weren't very safe for the skin, so the foot part of the sock needed to be white for safety reasons more than anything else. We don't have that problem anymore, so give me full-color socks like the ones Detroit wears with its throwback.

EDIT: I've sort of fixed the problem. The colors look a little more vibrant and accurate when I save as a .gif file instead of a .png file.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The yellow around the arrowhead is the simplest and best solution to get yellow in the helmet. Always wanted them to do that. Now, for a challenge you might try to create a new KC that doesn't leave a big white space at lower left. Of course, it has to flip, too.

These unis work well. Good balance, but the sleeves look so over-banded, especially the homes. One stripe instead of two?

The Chiefs are one of those sacred teams whose uniforms are untouchable; stop tinkering with them, you douche, unless of course you can come up with something that is better... :D and you did. I am as old school as it gets around here and I have to say that I like your concept better than The Chiefs current set. That rarely happens with me. Excellent work.

BB52Big.jpg

This is the exact change I was hoping would be made. Incorporating the black of the logo into the uniforms, while also incorporating the yellow of the uniforms into the helmet logo. Can't think of anything to tweak. These are gold.

VmWIn6B.png

The logo update is amazing. Very subtle, but it looks so much better than the current one (although I've never liked the yellow outline around it). Otherwise, perfect modernization. I'm not sold on the uniforms, but that's my personal preference of not liking the addition of black to a perfect color scheme. I didn't like it when the Lions did it, and I thought Louisville looked terrible when they did it. All that aside, though, you did a great job matching everything up and giving it a unified look. Great work. Time to revisit my Chiefs concept and see what I can do.

The yellow around the arrowhead is the simplest and best solution to get yellow in the helmet. Always wanted them to do that. Now, for a challenge you might try to create a new KC that doesn't leave a big white space at lower left. Of course, it has to flip, too.

These unis work well. Good balance, but the sleeves look so over-banded, especially the homes. One stripe instead of two?

I've always hated that big white space. One solution I had to the problem was to place the KC inside a vertically-oriented arrowhead. It would be pretty drastic, but that's traditionally how an arrowhead is positioned for display anyway. The stripes were inspired by the old Kansas State sleeves; I never really considered myself a stripe guy for sleeves and socks and such, but there was always something I absolutely loved about those double stripes. It eventually grew into a love of good, bold, consistent striping. I envision these having the same feel as the Bills' throwbacks. Not as many stripes, obviously, but very stripe-heavy nonetheless. I love that look.

I really like what you have done here. The logo is top notch, and the jerseys are fantastic.

Two criticisms: Too much yellow. I know that was one of the intentions of the concept, but it seems too forced, and tied in with that, the pants are too Tampa Bay in the way of the stripes.

These look an awful lot like a chiefs concept another board member named Tempest posted recently. ^_^

I really like these. The black is not overwhelming, and works much better than I expected. The sleeve stripes are a little complicated, but if you get rid of the top half, they will look more generic, so I say keep them. I like how you kind of worked a hidden stripe in the jersey that matches the pants for each one (for those of you who didn't notice, the red jersey material between the two white stripes on the red jersey, bordered by yellow, black, then white, and I am sure you can find it on the white jersey.) You pulled off making the jersey and pant stripes match better than in their current uniform, where the red and white pants have a different # of stripes. Nice job, and I like that you didn't mind trying something most people would probably be against.

MegatronSig2.jpg

First of all, nice job.

As far as the colors go, the Chiefs are one of the unique teams out there whose print colors don't necessarily match up with their fabric colors.

Here are the Chiefs' colors - using the Solid/Spot colors (used for printing):

KansasCityChiefs_FRC_9999_SOL.jpg

For their fabrics/textiles - the Red is more of a standard Red; not quite as dark:

KansasCityChiefs_FRC_9999_TEX.jpg

do you think "High Risk Red," "Saffron," "Bright White," and "Strech Limo Black" would match the Chiefs? I'd say so.

High Risk Red - Len Elliot. 2 games a year vs. the Raiders, Broncos, and Chargers. Risky injuries.

Saffron - "a moderate orange to orange yellow"

Bright White - the sound of Arrowhead Stadium is bright white. the sun's glare on the Chiefs helmets in the wide open stadium.

Stretch Limo Black - The Plaza.

I'd love to see these colors as long as they don't symbolize

High Risk Red - lots of blood

Saffron - Flowery.

Bright White - blindingly bad.

Stretch Limo Black - Deion Sanders.

How about the Kansas City (Fire) Chiefs? I think that a novel concept would be to replace the arrows and lame tribe of Mic-O-Say attachment to the name with a fire chief, fire truck, fire engine siren, dalmation patterned identity. You could change the arrowhead into a fire hose nozzle. You could still keep the name the same, the colors the same, and even the jerseys, pants, and socks the same. The helmet facemask would probably be black, yellow, or clear.

I live in New Mexico, but I'm from Kansas City. I love the Chiefs, but the Chiefs should grow with me. I don't really enjoy the fact that my team didn't catch on to the Cincinnati Bengals uniform wagon. Imagine if the Chiefs stayed the Chiefs, but the colors shifted every few years with the identity and logo~

I think everyone's right, that is the best Chiefs concept I've seen. I think it's my favorite because of the bright yellow in the logo. I like how you matched the home jersey stripe pattern with the away pants stripe pattern and vice versa. I want to see the Chiefs wear these some day.

Archived