Players in the "wrong" uniforms

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

His Tampa days are certainly an afterthought.  Nationally, nobody thinks about Tampa - ever.  There's a lot of people who have only seen him with the Cubs, that his brief run there has already been more memorable than his run with the Rays, despite how much they overachieved there.

If Tampa hadn't gone to the World Series with him I'd agree, but everyone heard about that team by virtue of their appearance against the Phils.

I guess an imperfect analogue (since there probably wasn't a great deal of difference in the media attention the Colts and Dolphins received back in the day) would be Don Shula. He's remembered primarily for his 25+ years in Miami, but he also led the Colts to one of the best seasons in NFL history to that point and a Super Bowl appearance (albeit the NFL's first loss to the AFL).

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, MCM0313 said:

I know he just led the Cubs to their first championship in over a century, but his time in Tampa will never be an afterthought as long as he is the only manager to take the Rays to a World Series appearance.

Joe Maddon's time in Tampa hasn't been erased, but already been forgotten. As of five days ago, he essentially just became Chicago's baseball version of Coach Ditka.

In fact, you could say the same about anyone on the 2016 Cubs roster. Guys like Ben Zobrist, Jon Lester, Miguel Montero and maybe even John Lackey and Aroldis Chapman will now be best remembered as a Chicago Cub. Much like every member of the 2004 Red Sox, the team and those players pretty much became linked for life.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2016 at 5:10 AM, Cujo said:

Joe Maddon's time in Tampa hasn't been erased, but already been forgotten. As of five days ago, he essentially just became Chicago's baseball version of Coach Ditka.

In fact, you could say the same about anyone on the 2016 Cubs roster. Guys like Ben Zobrist, Jon Lester, Miguel Montero and maybe even John Lackey and Aroldis Chapman will now be best remembered as a Chicago Cub. Much like every member of the 2004 Red Sox, the team and those players pretty much became linked for life.

I'm sincerely happy for the Cubs but Lester (and even Lackey)? It might be the right uniform for Cubs fans but Cubs fans only...

• Like 1

Wait wait wait... the Joe Maddon Tampa Bay "wrong uniform" argument is skewed by Cubs fans and the media because of the history that was just made. Rays fans will never forget Maddon. I'm a Marlins fan and being in Florida I'm exposed to the Rays more than many and, while still understanding Maddon's huge accomplishment with the Cubs, I can't agree with any Rays uniform being a "wrong uniform" for Maddon. Remember it is possible to have more than one "right" uniform even if one uniform seemingly stands above the rest.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 5:10 AM, Cujo said:

What they accomplished is huge and those players will always be linked now but there's more to that in deciding "right or wrong" uniform/team. To me when I think of those players, Zobrist is a Ray, Lester is Red Sox, Montero is a DBack, Lackey is an Angel, and Chapman is a Red.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Wait wait wait... the Joe Maddon Tampa Bay "wrong uniform" argument is skewed by Cubs fans and the media because of the history that was just made. Rays fans will never forget Maddon. I'm a Marlins fan and being in Florida I'm exposed to the Rays more than many and, while still understanding Maddon's huge accomplishment with the Cubs, I can't agree with any Rays uniform being a "wrong uniform" for Maddon. Remember it is possible to have more than one "right" uniform even if one uniform seemingly stands above the rest.

While I agree that I'll always remember him as the Rays' manager, I have to also agree that the green and black era uniforms are most certainly wrong for Maddon. The navy and Columbia blue are what I'll always think of with him.

• Like 1
3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

72557378-forward-tony-tanti-of-the-vanco

That is Tony Tanti, best known for his years with the Vancouver Canucks, wearing their 1990s set (first introduced in the 1989-90 season); he spent half the season (41 games, to be exact) in that set before he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

• Like 1

UBwef0L.png

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Don't see how that Browns ripoff can be anyone's right uniform...

And I will never understand how someone could not prefer this clean and dignified set to the jumbled mess that that team has worn since 1981.

Furthermore, the fact that this look resembles the Browns is not a drawback, especially considering that Brown himself founded the team.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And I will never understand how someone could not prefer this clean and dignified set to the jumbled mess that that team has worn since 1981.

Furthermore, the fact that this look resembles the Browns is not a drawback, especially considering that Brown himself founded the team.

It was boring, generic, derivative and copied their more famous arch rival. Other than that, yeah, this was a great set. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, BrianLion said:

That uniform fits the bland, wordmark helmet IMO. 

However, I think the 1981 set is beautiful and much more evocative of a bengal tiger theme. 

76028d08df54e06aff70c419f6583c8e.jpg837c9517fbfd0e10c6fe50ebfe0c0bb0.jpg

Hard to argue the iconic nature of the 1981 unis, they were cutting edge at the time they were unveiled.  That said, while I think the original uniforms were bland and definitely similar to the Cleveland Browns, I just dig that original helmet with that simple black font outlined in white.  "BENGALS".  I even bought a mini helmet of that version and I'm not even a Bengals fan. 

But there's no turning back, the tiger stripe helmets are awesome and has withstood the test of time.  

• Like 1