Players in the "wrong" uniforms

He's 45 in that photo.  He looks 70.  We've discussed countless times how people used to age faster back in the day, probably due to drugs or just not taking care of themselves, but man he looks bad.

Also looks like a clown in that clown hat they used to wear.  Looks like he's going to play golf at the retirement community.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/17/2020 at 11:59 PM, Davidellias said:

71Je5AH5E5L._AC_SY445_.jpg

Charlie Hough who was born in the 1940s, played for the Florida Marlins for two years.

Because Hough threw the first pitch in Marlins history, he will always be to some extent associated with that team, despite the fact that he was with them for only a short time in a long career. (Of course his main association is with the Dodgers; he can be seen in every showing of the clip of Reggie Jackson's historic three home runs in game six of the 1977 World Series.)

• Like 3

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 11:59 PM, Davidellias said:

71Je5AH5E5L._AC_SY445_.jpg

Charlie Hough who was born in the 1940s, played for the Florida Marlins for two years.

As a Miami kid who didn't start watching baseball consistently until the Marlins became a team, this is not a specifically "wrong uniform." I think there are ways to have a uniform still be positively associated with someone who may have a different "right" uniform. Obviously Hough had greater success before the Marlins but the only clips I keep seeing of Charlie Hough over the last thirty years have been him pitching in the Marlins' inaugural game. When I see Charlie Hough, I think Marlins 1993, not Dodgers. Of course I'm not saying his Dodgers uniform is wrong I'm just saying there can be right uniform and wrong uniform but there can also be a middle ground.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 1:42 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

As a Miami kid who didn't start watching baseball consistently until the Marlins became a team, this is not a specifically "wrong uniform." I think there are ways to have a uniform still be positively associated with someone who may have a different "right" uniform. Obviously Hough had greater success before the Marlins but the only clips I keep seeing of Charlie Hough over the last thirty years have been him pitching in the Marlins' inaugural game. When I see Charlie Hough, I think Marlins 1993, not Dodgers. Of course I'm not saying his Dodgers uniform is wrong I'm just saying there can be right uniform and wrong uniform but there can also be a middle ground.

That's how I feel about Roy Halladay.  His biggest moments and highlights were with the Phillies, and that's how many passive fans probably associate him, but he obviously became a star and played more years with Toronto, and that's probably technically his 'right' uniform.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

So I've had a thought

I could come up with a starting lineup of "Wrong Uniform" players for the Angels and come up with a damn good team

SP Nolan Ryan (Astros)
RP LaTroy Hawkins (Twins)
1B/DH Albert Puljos (Cardinals)
2B Rod Carew (Twins)

3B ???
SS ???
LF/1B Bill Buckner (Dodgers)
RF Reggie Jackson (Yankees)
CF Fred Lynn (Red Sox)
C Bob Boone (Phillies)
DH ???

Not sure about DH, SS or 3B as most the option that come to mind are players who have time to grow as Angels and have that team as their primary.

• Like 1

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

11 minutes ago, Davidellias said:

So I've had a thought

I could come up with a starting lineup of "Wrong Uniform" players for the Angels and come up with a damn good team

SP Nolan Ryan (Astros)
RP ???
2B Rod Carew (Twins)

3B ???
SS ???
CF Fred Lynn (Red Sox)
C Bob Boone (Phillies)
DH ???

Not sure about DH, SS or 3B as most the option that come to mind are players who have time to grow as Angels and have that team as their primary.

Dave Winfield for DH?  I have no idea what position he played for them, but his name just popped up.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, M4One said:

Dave Winfield for DH?  I have no idea what position he played for them, but his name just popped up.

I think he was a Right Fielder,

Maybe move Puljos to DH, Buckner to 1B (Which is sadly his most well known position) and find a new LF?

EDIT: Alternatively but way more controversially, put Puljols at DH, bring Jim Edmonds in at first and leave Buckner out in LF.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

Just off the top of my head without any research:

All Time Phillies Team of Players in Wrong Uniforms:

C - Lance Parrish (Tigers) or Benito Santiago (Padres/Marlins)

1B - Pete Rose (Reds)

2B - Joe Morgan (Reds)

3B - Tony Perez (Reds)

SS - Didi Gregorias (NYY)

LF - Raul Ibanez (SEA)

CF - Kenny Lofton (CLE)

RF - Dale Murphy (Braves)

SP - Pedro Martinez (BOS)

SP - Roy Oswalt (HOU)

SP - Cliff Lee (CLE)

SP - Jim Kaat (MIN)

SP - Fernando Valenzuela (LAD)

RP - Bobby Thigpen (CHW)

DH - Mike Sweeney (KC)

I'm counting Roy Halladay and Curt Schilling as Phillies, but I know there's arguments to be had there.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Davidellias said:

So I've had a thought

SP Nolan Ryan (Astros)
2B Rod Carew (Twins)

3B ???
SS ???
CF Fred Lynn (Red Sox)
C Bob Boone (Phillies)
DH ???

Added LaTroy Hawkins as the RP for now.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

I considered doing a full team for the Leafs, but I ran out of room just with goalies

Gerry Cheevers

czb7HulS-cTTRvljli_zZSqUPNFB5-ZfR3NbmYqN

Jacques Plante

il_570xN.1383028985_lkl5.jpg

Bernie Parent

138782-9201430Fr.jpg

Grant Fuhr

grant-fuhr-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-sk

Tom Barrasso

1a45bf5ccc30fac55c90670b17f9c7f1.jpg

J-S Giguere

108927053_original.jpg?1303096310

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Ok So I think I came up with my roster for the all time Angles "Wrong Uniform" team

Thoughts?

SP Nolan Ryan (Astros)
1B Bill Buckner (Dodgers)
2B Rod Carew (Twins)

3B David Freese (Cardinals)
SS Benji Gil (Rangers)
CF Fred Lynn (Red Sox)
LF Von Hayes (Phillies)
C Bob Boone (Phillies)
DH Albert Puljos (Cardinals)

• Like 1

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

• 4 weeks later...

In light of recent news. RIP Maradona.

WJ2yIZE.jpg

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17