Players in the "wrong" uniforms

What with the shark-jumping and all, I propose the following as reasonable guidelines:

1. The player in question must among the greatest of his sport: "hall-of-fame" calibre, or borderline (ex, Namath, Killebrew).

2. The player must be well-known, even by people who are not big fans of the sport (ex. Montana, Gretzky).

3. The player cannot be recently active (ex. Favre) -- his appearance in a strange uni must have happened long enough ago for people to have forgotten about it.

4. The player in question must be someone who is associated in the public mind with a very small number of teams (ex. Pippen, Ewing). Guys who are known for playing with multiple teams (ex. Canseco, Rodman) cannot qualify, no matter what uniform any given picture shows them wearing.

5. The player must not have appeared in his sport's finals in his "wrong" uniform. This will surely be the most controversial of all my guidelines. But I think that the point of a list such as this is to find obscurities; and the prolonged national media coverage of late-round playoff action will have removed the obscurity (and therefore the "wrongness") of this uniform for the player in question. For me (a 1970s-era New Yorker), this guideline disqualifies Willie Mays and Pele, who look completely right in their Mets and Cosmos gear, respectively, due mainly to their appearances in their sports' finals while wearing these unis. Also disqualified on these grounds would be Ray Bourque, as well as plenty of guys who won pennants and World Championships with the A's: Willie Randolph, Don Baylor, Dave Parker, Willie McGee. (If Seaver had been on the Red Sox' active roster for the 1986 World Series, then I'd say that he wouldn't qualify, either.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Who cares? It's a thread on an internet message board. It really doesn't need guidelines that will restrict it to naming 5 more players and then hitting the graveyard.

Well, maybe it does. This list has already hit the other (worse) extreme, where any unrecognisable active player who has ever changed teams is subject to mention.

Honestly, there are only a handful of these examples that make anyone take any special notice. Once you have already named Namath, Gretzky, the Babe, and a few others, there just ain't that many more.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

These may have been posted.

Chris%20Pronger.jpg

A young Chris Pronger.

051115_fedorov_vmed_4p.widec.jpg

He never looked right as a Duck.

pavoldemitra.JPG

Pavol Demitra on the Sens.

lafontaine_isles_480x285.jpg

LaFontaine on the Isles.

Yeah, Hull was born in Canada, and spent a lot of time there, but he also lived in Chicago with his Dad, where all his other siblings were born. So, while he had dual citizenship, more than that, in '86 Team USA was the one who showed interest in him playing for them, not Canada. Hull decided to stick with that loyalty throughout his career.

I admire both of their decisions.

I have always identified Hull in a USA jersey. Now, Brett Hull in a Flames jersey is odd by comparison

07F.jpg

I remember him in a Flames jersey--I was at the game where he got his first NHL hat trick--in a Flames jersey.

macinnis_460.jpg

Maybe not the wrong jersey as he arguably had as much success if not more in Calgary, but I always associated Al with the Blues.

Who cares? It's a thread on an internet message board. It really doesn't need guidelines that will restrict it to naming 5 more players and then hitting the graveyard.

+1.

I know the title says "legends", but it's amusing to see others in the "wrong" uniforms. Chuck Knoblauch is not a legend, but he still looks weird in a Royals uniform.

And just because he may still be active (perhaps) does not mean Favre's Falcons uniform does not serve the same purpose as Namath's Rams uniform.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

+1.

I know the title says "legends", but it's amusing to see others in the "wrong" uniforms. Chuck Knoblauch is not a legend, but he still looks weird in a Royals uniform.

And just because he may still be active (perhaps) does not mean Favre's Falcons uniform does not serve the same purpose as Namath's Rams uniform.

I agree. I enjoy this thread as is. My only problem is when people post images of hockey players without saying who they are. That's just a personal thing, since I'm not as much of an NHL fanatic as most people on this board. The names would be nice.

Otherwise, keep it going.

The topic title has now been changed. Enjoy.

Someone's in a hatin' mood today ...

:D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nah. If I'd've been hatin', I'd've closed it. Just steering things back on course. Unlike some others, I've enjoyed this thread, no matter if some of the postings are a bit obscure.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

+1.

People would know Knoblauch...the Madsen post though, really?

4254.jpg

This however is not forgivable. I lost respect for that son of a ..... when he went to the rangers. :evil:

Like it or not, that's just how it is. LaFontaine isn't the only vet who sold out to the Rangers only to flame out and quit....

Markus Naslund

naslund092708.jpg

Jaromir Jagr

amd_jagr.jpg

Pavel Bure

4360_Bure-Pavel.jpg

Wayne Gretzky

gretzky_rangers.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

Nah. If I'd've been hatin', I'd've closed it. Just steering things back on course. Unlike some others, I've enjoyed this thread, no matter if some of the postings are a bit obscure.

Who doesn't like to see hockey players they've never heard of in jerseys you couldn't recognize unless someone told you?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Before I get crucified analyze the pictures:

JS88.jpg

ON88PS.jpg

-Dan

Nothing 'wrong' with those photos. Some coaches still believe that you need to work your way up in order to select a jersey number, otherwise you are just assigned one out of training camp.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!