New uniforms' days: Are they numbered?

Claystation360

Double post and I like that unique font. All teams should have unique fonts.

There's this league called the AFL (and AFL2) that may just appeal to your aesthetic sensibilities.

And as for that Jags set, aside from the too-narrow numbering, it really wasn't THAT bad. Just a "meh" change. I wouldn't call it Bronco-level bad.

The set itself wasn't bad...it was just the numbering.

And boy, lemme tell you...that set they were rocking then and now still (sorta)...let's just say we should all be glad that's what they went with, cuz um uh...if the Jacksonville Jaguars had've taken the field back in 1995 in THESE:

2184157076_6d9282eb25_o.jpg

2183369671_7a99c2cfb3_b.jpg

So--yeah. (Thank whoever provided Mr. Lukas with those pictures...they came off a link in "The Blog".) And whoever greenlighted that particular shade of teal (?) must've been high off that hemp. And FOUR colors...wowee.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MUTHAFÚ¢?!N DOUBLE POST!!!

Damn web servers...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So they only had TV numbers on one side?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Shame about the helmet logo, though. So much better than what they ended up with.

Agreed. That was a better helmet, but thank goodness that jersey never saw action.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Something I've been wondering for awhile now:

If the Jags went ahead with their original unis, would they have been the first pro team to sport 4-color numbers? I know the Marlins have done it for their road and alternate jerseys since their "Let's pretend teal isn't one of our colors" makeover, but I can't think of another team that goes 4-color/layer.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've got the Style Guide sheet for those things...the numbers were atrocious:

JacksonvilleJaguars_SG_1997_02.jpg

The numbers weren't that bad. The helmet was the atrocious part, and that's the only thing that hasn't been changed!

I must say the Jags look a lot better now, though. The black pants and black numbers really did a lot for them.

The numbers weren't that bad. The helmet was the atrocious part, and that's the only thing that hasn't been changed!

The numbers might not look that bad on a style sheet, but in practice they're damn near unreadable.

It was hard to identify players, which kinda defeats the entire purpose of having numbers in the first place.

I gotta say, the Jaguars were going for something unique, innovative, and then-possibly (read: then) the future of NFL uniforms. I love it all except for the Jaguar shoulder yoke. That looks like complete ass, seriously.

This logo is pretty sweet..

608.gif

You can tell that the Jaguars logos now are a variation/modification of the original ones...

Current:

598.gif

Original:

605.gif

600.gif

bSLCtu2.png

Those numerals were absolutely horrible and the black stripe was pointless. Whether it matched up with the stripe on the pants or not, full length side panels just don't look good on a football uniform (Bills, I'm talking to you). Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings, etc. all have stripe/panels that don't go straight from the bottom of the pants to the bottom of the sleeve and that's why they don't look as bad as these.

Within a year of these, they fixed the numerals (before that season) and ditched the black stripe (prior to the next season) which were the only 2 things keeping this set down.

Shame about the helmet logo, though. So much better than what they ended up with.

Agreed. That was a better helmet, but thank goodness that jersey never saw action.

I respectfully disagree.

Putting the gold Jaguar head on a black helmet makes it pop so much better than pairing up the gold against the silver. Not to mention the fact that the over abundance of helmet stripes makes the helmet way too busy.

I would like to see the old leaping Jaguar on a black helmet. That might have been better than the decapitated Kitty, but I'd have to see it first.

I respectfully disagree.

Putting the gold Jaguar head on a black helmet makes it pop so much better than pairing up the gold against the silver. Not to mention the fact that the over abundance of helmet stripes makes the helmet way too busy.

I would like to see the old leaping Jaguar on a black helmet. That might have been better than the decapitated Kitty, but I'd have to see it first.

Powersurge, your wish is my command..........

jags_helmet.png

I respectfully disagree.

Powersurge, your wish is my command..........

jags_helmet.png

Hey, thanks!

That actually doesn't look too bad. I guess I'm still a bit partial to the larger Kitty head because of the detail of the pattern, whiskers, and tongue.

I don't think I'll ever understand what's so bad about the Jags' current helmets.

Now if only they'd remember that their primary color is (or should be) teal...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I didnt even knopw they had those unis! Yeah, those arent too good loking at all. I absolutely LOVE thier look now. the away set, with the black pants ans stuff is thier best set, followed by the all-black uni. I hope that they dont change anything soon, because what they have going now works in my opinion.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

You will continue to see nothing but unique fonts - but not for reasons of asthetics. Somebody discovered that you cannot copyright a block font, so sports leagues have gotten into designing unique fonts for their teams which can be copyrighted and controlled. This way, nobody else can copy a team's "identity" without being subject to a lawsuit or paying a licensing fee to the league. It also allows the league to limit customization to those customizers who are licensed (read: pay a fee to) the league.

There's this league called the AFL (and AFL2) that may just appeal to your aesthetic sensibilities.

And as for that Jags set, aside from the too-narrow numbering, it really wasn't THAT bad. Just a "meh" change. I wouldn't call it Bronco-level bad.

The set itself wasn't bad...it was just the numbering.

And boy, lemme tell you...that set they were rocking then and now still (sorta)...let's just say we should all be glad that's what they went with, cuz um uh...if the Jacksonville Jaguars had've taken the field back in 1995 in THESE:

2184157076_6d9282eb25_o.jpg

2183369671_7a99c2cfb3_b.jpg

So--yeah. (Thank whoever provided Mr. Lukas with those pictures...they came off a link in "The Blog".) And whoever greenlighted that particular shade of teal (?) must've been high off that hemp. And FOUR colors...wowee.

It's a damn shame you can't buy one of those unis...it's so early 90s-ish I could easily see myself picking one up.

I don't think I'll ever understand what's so bad about the Jags' current helmets.

I'm with you, Kevin. I think the Jaguars' helmets are the best in the NFL, along with those of the Seattle Seahawks.

Now if only they'd remember that their primary color is (or should be) teal...

Yeah... on the White jerseys, I wasn't a fan of the switch to Black as the main numeral color. I much preferred Teal. I'm also not a fan of the Black pants or Black alternate jerseys.

To me, the Jaguars should have two uniforms: Teal jerseys paired with White pants; White jerseys paired with White pants. Period.

Archived