Super Bowl XLII

rainmaker17

A few thoughts came to mind this morning:

-If only Wellington Mara was still around to see this.....

-I'm still getting around this: "ELI Manning, Super Bowl winning quarterback"

-Not the biggest Super Bowl upset, but this was one of the most memorable.

-If only the Pats went for the field goal in the first half....

-I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants misses the playoffs next season.

-The Giants should schedule all road games next season.

- Now that Manning brothers have Super Bowl rings... they should have a competition as to which Manning brother is superior... like Oreo Double Stuf Racing League? What? They already did?

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally maybe those in Boston can go back to being miserable. Not that I like NY but I am tired of hearing how great the Pats are, how Sox suffered etc. Boston and NY has won more then their fair share of Championships, but maybe this will bring back some of the old MISERABLE BOSTONIAN FLAVOR to the sports world again.

Nobody's talked about how the Red Sox have suffered, they've won two championships since 3 years, people know they're not suffering.

Damn right those teams are the best. There is no miserable flavor going on when you have the best team in the NFL. They're obviously not the champions, but when you lose only one game, you're still the team to beat in the NFL.

nope, the team to beat is the Super Bowl XLII Champions New York Giants. See this is why people have such hatred towards some Boston fans, you lost, get over yourselves and admit the Giants were the better team when it counted the most.

They were. No doubt, they won that game yesterday and the should have. But that was one game.

But I'd still take the Pats over the Giants if they were to play again next week, and the week after, for that matter. Would you?

Are u serious??????? Yes Its one game.... but its the one game that matter more than any other game and the Pats did not win it. PERIOD! END OF STORY!

This'll be my one and only post-Super Bowl contribution to this thread...

As a Patriots fan, I'm shocked, embarrassed and disgusted with the way they played last night. I think the result of the game was in part due to a bad offensive gameplan on New England's part, and some really stiff play on the d-line on the Giants' part. I don't believe the best team won last night, but the hottest one certainly did.

Over the last six years I've been privileged enough to see the Patriots win three Super Bowl championships, and the Red Sox win two World Series championships; I have no reason to be disappointed, however stunning this loss is. I will tip my cap to the Giants and wonder where the Patriots go from here. Nothing short of a championship will vindicate themselves, and I wonder if they can actually do it. It saddens me that such an impressive season, which broke so many records and set so many benchmarks, will be remembered only as the biggest chokejob in sports history. But, that aside, I still love my team, my coach, my quarterback, and my football organization which I still consider to be the best-run in all of the NFL. I will stick by them and don my blue Tom Brady jersey every gameday just as I've done every season since 2001.

Also, this proves that Brady is a great QB... but you can't put him amongst the greatest... yet.

Yes, you can and should. He has won three Super Bowls. That's one more than Elway, two more than Favre, three more than Marino, and so on. Tom Brady is the closest thing to Joe Montana that I have seen so far. He's got to be in the discussion of all-time greats. One loss in a Super Bowl doesn't change that.

BB52Big.jpg

As a Patriots fan, I'm shocked, embarrassed and disgusted with the way they played last night. I think the result of the game was in part due to a bad offensive gameplan on New England's part, and some really stiff play on the d-line on the Giants' part. I don't believe the best team won last night, but the hottest one certainly did.

Over the last six years I've been privileged enough to see the Patriots win three Super Bowl championships, and the Red Sox win two World Series championships; I have no reason to be disappointed, however stunning this loss is. I will tip my cap to the Giants and wonder where the Patriots go from here. Nothing short of a championship will vindicate themselves, and I wonder if they can actually do it. It saddens me that such an impressive season, which broke so many records and set so many benchmarks, will be remembered only as the biggest chokejob in sports history. But, that aside, I still love my team, my coach, my quarterback, and my football organization which I still consider to be the best-run in all of the NFL. I will stick by them and don my blue Tom Brady jersey every gameday just as I've done every season since 2001.

Wade Phillips said the the same thing after the lost.

As as fan of football you hade to love this game. Yes some of us would love to have seen pefection achieved and the Pats had there chance. It didn't happen. Let's face it we wil probally never see a team get this close or achieve perfection in our lifetime.

What the Giants did was historic in not only in victory in SB XLII but the basiclly shut down the league top 3 Offenses in reverse order (Cowboys,Packers,Patriots)

In the the end the Pats we retool, The Giants will probally improve, and rest of the league (including my cowboys) will need to catch up

PS. Blame the Pats loss on the release of the parade plans al la the Dallas Mavericks

They were. No doubt, they won that game yesterday and the should have. But that was one game.

But I'd still take the Pats over the Giants if they were to play again next week, and the week after, for that matter. Would you?

They were? No the Patriots were. They were perfect. They were the best team in the NFL. They were the team to beat. If we played the Super Bowl again next week, the Giants would still be the team to beat and the Giants would still come out with the victory. The Patriots were lucky to get the win in week 17. That's the little memo they don't get. They were lucky to face a Chargers squad in the AFC Championship that had a hobbling Rivers and Gates and a non-existant LT. I'm thoroughly convinced a fully healthy Chargers squad beats the tar out of the Patriots and yet you would all still be talking about how great that 17-1 Patriots team was.

YES. They are a great team. They had a great year but in the biggest game on the biggest stage of the year, they choked. END. OF. STORY. So when the season starts again next year, the Giants are the team to beat and Boston will just have to accept that. Once the playoffs start, records don't mean JACK. The Giants outplayed the Patriots on every level in every round of the playoffs. Boston knows this in their hearts but refuses to acknowledge. C'mon Boston. Take a defeat like the men that you claim to be. Yes, I'm even talking to your women.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

They were? No the Patriots were. They were perfect. They were the best team in the NFL. They were the team to beat. If we played the Super Bowl again next week, the Giants would still be the team to beat and the Giants would still come out with the victory. The Patriots were lucky to get the win in week 17. That's the little memo they don't get. They were lucky to face a Chargers squad in the AFC Championship that had a hobbling Rivers and Gates and a non-existant LT. I'm thoroughly convinced a fully healthy Chargers squad beats the tar out of the Patriots and yet you would all still be talking about how great that 17-1 Patriots team was.

YES. They are a great team. They had a great year but in the biggest game on the biggest stage of the year, they choked. END. OF. STORY. So when the season starts again next year, the Giants are the team to beat and Boston will just have to accept that. Once the playoffs start, records don't mean JACK. The Giants outplayed the Patriots on every level in every round of the playoffs. Boston knows this in their hearts but refuses to acknowledge. C'mon Boston. Take a defeat like the men that you claim to be. Yes, I'm even talking to your women.

I don't think The Patriots "choked." I think they got their asses handed to them by a team that, for one game at least, was better than they were. Saying The Patriots choked is taking credit away from the great game The Giants played yesterday. The Giants didn't get lucky, they didn't benefit from any bad calls, they simply dominated on defense and made plays on offense when they had to. The Giants won the game plain and simple.

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think I've ever been as excited with the outcome of a Super Bowl I am this year (Makes me want to get a Giants jersey, but I'll be over them soon.) . Absolutely beautiful end, and I'm glad the Patriots lost, a lot of people in Boston we're getting way too ahead of themselves, especially that book that was made.

Congratulations Giants, and Giants' Fans.

Hi, how are you?

I don't think I'll ever get the saying, "the better team didn't win." I always thought that the better team was the one that ended up with the trophy / flag / whatever. I mean, if the Patriots were the better team, how come they didn't win?

I'm being honest here. I got sick of that saying after hearing the Mets fans cry that mantra during the entire month of September. If you're the better team, you win when you're supposed to. The Giants won, they're the better team. If they played twice more and the Patriots beat them, then they'd be better. But they played once, they lost. Period.

The Patriots season, in retrospect, was like an internet relationship. Everything was going perfectly until they found out that the hot chick was really a dude.

philly.png

I just want to say, this is the best football game I have ever seen. I cheered so much for two team I didn't give a crap about. Manning to Tyree was the best plays I've ever seen. I had no idea how good the other Manning actually is.

Pats fans: Complain all you want about losing, but I'm sure I'm not the only Falcons fan that would happliy trade with you.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Now there's a Patriots fan that gets it. You're a fan of the losing team. Of course you don't think the best team won last night. Especially after going 16-0 in the season and winning both playoff games after that against VERY tough opponents. The Patriots had a damn fine season. They made a great playoff run beating a terrific Jaguars team and a beat up Chargers squad (thanks Colts...thanks for nothing).

The sad thing for Patriots fans was how the team's ego got in the way of victory. You could see it from play one. Thomas stuffs Jacobs for a mere 3 yd game and then Jacobs gets stuffed again for 2. Then the Giants walk slowly down the field and you're thinking "Wow this might be a game." Steve Smith bobbles a pass right into the hands of Hobbs and the Pats are celebrating like the game is over. THAT was when I truly stopped believing the Patriots would win this game. The fact that they later went for it on 4th and 13 with 6:49 remaining in the 3rd quarter and the pathetic deep passes on the last "drive" just sealed the deal.

I will say this though. Corey Webster gets to wake up this morning. Seriously, if he was going to be remembered as the guy that lost the superbowl because he tripped over the goal line and left Moss wide open, I wonder if the Corster wakes up this morning or if maybe, just maybe, Mary Kate would have gotten a phone call instead. What? Too soon?

-Daniel

I don't think The Patriots "choked." I think they got their asses handed to them by a team that, for one game at least, was better than they were. Saying The Patriots choked is taking credit away from the great game The Giants played yesterday. The Giants didn't get lucky, they didn't benefit from any bad calls, they simply dominated on defense and made plays on offense when they had to. The Giants won the game plain and simple.

You're right. Emotions got the better of me. Congrats to the Giants indeed. I've been so steamed and angry at Pats fans and their arrogant narcissism all year and then seeing it in the Patriots themselves during the game that all I've been focusing on is laughing at Boston all night and into the morning.

-Daniel

Finally maybe those in Boston can go back to being miserable. Not that I like NY but I am tired of hearing how great the Pats are, how Sox suffered etc. Boston and NY has won more then their fair share of Championships, but maybe this will bring back some of the old MISERABLE BOSTONIAN FLAVOR to the sports world again.

Nobody's talked about how the Red Sox have suffered, they've won two championships since 3 years, people know they're not suffering.

Damn right those teams are the best. There is no miserable flavor going on when you have the best team in the NFL. They're obviously not the champions, but when you lose only one game, you're still the team to beat in the NFL.

nope, the team to beat is the Super Bowl XLII Champions New York Giants. See this is why people have such hatred towards some Boston fans, you lost, get over yourselves and admit the Giants were the better team when it counted the most.

First, I didn't lose. They lost. Second, Im a Red Sox fan. I'm not a Patriots fan. but I hate the Giants. I was rooting for the Patriots, but only for this game.

That being said, the Giants are the team to beat in the way that everyone wants to beat the Super Bowl champions (Don't worry, they'll be beaten a lot next year). In the case of the better team, talent wise, its the Patriots. When a team comes three points from perfection, you cannot argue its greatness.

Giants fans are just as bad. I've never seen so many fans bitch and moan the majority of the season. Bandwagon? Damn right.

The Giants the better team when it counted? Really? I'm not stupid, that's obvious, they did win the game. The overall better team? Giants are lucky to be in the top tier of that category. The Giants played great, but this one loss cannot take away what the Patriots did all season. It can take away everything the Giants did wrong all season, but everything the Patriots did is still there.

Interesting and ironic...the 2008 Patriots have a lot in common with the '98 Vikings. A record-breaking offense, a spectacular season that ended with an upset loss...and Randy Moss.

Offense wins games, Defense wins championships.

Well technically in order to win a championship you also need to win the game. So that would mean that since offense wins games then offense can win championships too. Not to mention the fact that I think you misquoted it. Isn't it offense sells tickets but defense wins championships? In any case, it's a tired and overused cliche that isn't true.

BB52Big.jpg

First, I didn't lose. They lost.

I laughed really hard at that... not at you though. It's because I hear sooooo much about fans using "we" when describing their team... so when their team wins it's "WE Win" and when the team loses it's "THEY lose"? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

Going back to the game, I was rooting for the Giants but why in the world didn't Belichick challenge Ahmad Bradshaw's fumble recovery? A Patriot clearly had possession of the ball and it seems to me that when Bradshaw touched him, the play should have been ruled over and possession awarded to the Patriots. Is the rule really just whoever comes out of the pile with the ball?

Bet at the end of the game Bill would have liked to have that FG he passed up too. Of course Gostkowksi might have missed it but we'll never know.

Also, could anybody cover Wes Welker?

And everybody is rightly excited about that unbelievable Manning-to-Tyree play (already dubbed by some as "The Catch II), but that drive was remarkable on several counts: the 4th down conversion, the dropped pick, the 3rd-&-11 conversion...just a great finish to a great game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

some points.

• 1. We went to my parents place to watch the game. They invited us over for a bbq and the wife didn't want to cook. We watched it on their hd lcd tv. needless to say i am never investing in a hd tv. i can't believe how pixelated it was, that almost ruined my viewing experience especially when it would be clearer on my standard Emerson Tv.
    2. I really had no vested interest who won the game however towards the end i started to pull for the giants mainly because they were a childhood team of mine when they won the super bowl under parcells. The picture of Tuna with the giants above the mantle will remind us of that.
    3. Half time show. Best i've seen in a long time. Tom Petty performing....Pure awsomeness. Better than that mtv/pop/michael jackson/britney spears/JT crap they had runing for a few years. Thank god for titgate, we finally got some decent half time performances. I enjoyed the tom petty show more than i did the game itself. That really was the only reason i really wanted to watch the game anyway.
    4. Mannings great escape and joe montana like finish. Probably the best i've seen since Scott Norwood and the wide-right. Thank you Scott, my dad is forever in your debt. ^_^
    5. after the game, my dad went crazy. jumping up and down, yelling and screaming and at one point was bowing down at the tv when they were presenting the trophy to them. then procedes to tell me that i'm a no good bum for being a cowboys fan then goes back to celebration. Then this the best part, earlier in the week he buys some patriots gear in a garage sell. This probably sets off a homeland security alarm. anyway, tonight during his celebration, he gets a oil drum sized barrel puts the patriots gear in there, puts gas on it, pisses on it and sets fire to it creating a mini bon fire. Then says, "this is the third greatest day of my life - giants first super bowl win, giants 2nd super bowl win and tonight." it was an interesting trip back home.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Also, could anybody cover Wes Welker?

That's one way to look at it. The other way is that Brady had no one else to throw to. Granted, Welker had some key conversations (especially on the scoring drive near the end), but his damage was mostly limited to short pick-ups. I bet Belichick would have loved to get Randy Moss the Super Bowl record for catches in a game, but the Giants made him a non-factor for a lot of the game.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived