Forgettable sports teams

FiddySicks

I'll grant you the perception is reality argument, as that thought even ran through my head as I responded. Surprised by all of the NFL love. I recognize its standing in sports right now, but I don't know if all of its teams escape irrelevancy because of it. Parity hasn't worked for every team. And not every team gets on the national games. They may fill their stadium for 8 games a year, but does that outweigh teams that play 41 and 81? I don't know. I guess in some ways I think ESPN's constant coverage of even the most insignificant news (ahem, 3 offseasons of Favre-watch, for starters) overinflates the NFL's importance. And now we're back to that perception is reality argument...

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB: A's. Besides Dallas Braden's perfect game, can you name anyone else on that team? Wait is Braden still on the team? Who knows?

NBA: Kings: This is a team that should've won a championship in the early 2000's (same with the Nets but thats bias) but they were stacked with Bibby, Webber, Peja, and Hedo Turk all in their prime. Now, I can't name anyone on the team

NFL: Oakland. :shocked::shocked::shocked: what have they done since Super Bowl XXXVII what else have they done that has helped them win?

NHL: Easy, Panthers. I am surprised the Thrashers and Coyotes are can relocation rumors and none are coming from Florida. Seriously, if you ask someone on ESPN about the Florida Panthers, they will say "they're from carolina dummy."

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

MLB: A's. Besides Dallas Braden's perfect game, can you name anyone else on that team? Wait is Braden still on the team? Who knows?

NBA: Kings: This is a team that should've won a championship in the early 2000's (same with the Nets but thats bias) but they were stacked with Bibby, Webber, Peja, and Hedo Turk all in their prime. Now, I can't name anyone on the team

NFL: Oakland. :shocked::shocked::shocked: what have they done since Super Bowl XXXVII what else have they done that has helped them win?

NHL: Easy, Panthers. I am surprised the Thrashers and Coyotes are can relocation rumors and none are coming from Florida. Seriously, if you ask someone on ESPN about the Florida Panthers, they will say "they're from carolina dummy."

Arena leases are saving that franchise...

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

You are equating winning with relevancy, which is wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You are equating winning with relevancy, which is wrong.

Definitely. If anything Al Davis' insanity keeps the Raiders far more relevant when they lose than when they win.

And you're the one that wants the NHL back on ESPN so badly? Okay then...

6fQjS3M.png

Does Moneyball ring a bell to you?

I'd say the swirling relocation rumors have made them relevant again (albeit for the wrong reasons).

Nothing, but Al Davis and his string of busts have kept them relevant (again, for the wrong reasons).

The Panthers are the only team on your list with an actual case for irrelevance, but I'd say the Blue Jackets are more irrelevant. I remember the Panthers. I literally forgot the Blue Jackets existed until just now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Blue Jacks' financial woes have made them relevant again.

Which is sort of indicative of how irrelevant the Panthers are. They've had financial problems for a while now and they still don't warrant any attention. Canadian sports writers proposing sunbelt to Canada relocation scenarios always forget to mention the Panthers. that's how bad it's gotten.

I think ownership is content to eat significant losses on the team so that they can keep the master lease and book lots of concerts, but again, any day could be the day your owner takes the perp walk in this league, so sit tight.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think ownership is content to eat significant losses on the team so that they can keep the master lease and book lots of concerts, but again, any day could be the day your owner takes the perp walk in this league, so sit tight.

I like your scenario of the Pathers moving on a random Friday night in June, out of nowhere with no word of it leaking beforehand.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does Moneyball ring a bell to you?

I'd say the swirling relocation rumors have made them relevant again (albeit for the wrong reasons).

Nothing, but Al Davis and his string of busts have kept them relevant (again, for the wrong reasons).

The Panthers are the only team on your list with an actual case for irrelevance, but I'd say the Blue Jackets are more irrelevant. I remember the Panthers. I literally forgot the Blue Jackets existed until just now.

I just got dirked. :blink:

And you're the one that wants the NHL back on ESPN so badly? Okay then...

If the NHL comes back to ESPN, they would promote the heck out of hockey and the anchors will finally get some common sence. Right now all they care about is Lebron and the NFL.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

• 1 month later...

In the NHL the traditional irrelevant teams have been relevant for bad reasons (PHX, ATL, FLA, CLB, NYI) this leads me to name Carolina as the new most irrelevant team in the NHL.

They won a Cup five years ago, you dip.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

umm... yes, Trevor Cahil, Gio Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Andrew Bailey... they have some good arms on that team

MLB: Milwaukee Brewers. They have never won a world series, and they have only made the playoffs a few times. Not that many good players have played for Milwaukee. They have had some good players recently, but they haven't won anything yet besides a single Wild Card.

NBA: Charlotte Bobcats. They have never really done anything, and they have only made the playoffs once. Their single claim to relevancy is being owned by Michael Jordan.

NFL: Buffalo Bills. The last time they had real success was quite a long time ago. They play in a :censored:ty stadium, and they are in Buffalo. Teams in big cities like New York for example, gain relevancy just by being in a big city. Buffalo is not very big, and there isn't much to do. Has anybody in the history of man kind been to Buffalo on vacation? (Going to see relatives/friends doesn't count)

NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets. They haven't done crap, and most casual fans can't name anybody on the team besides Rick Nash, if that. Florida has been to the finals, and they have crazy tickets promotions. The Islanders play in New York, and they get publicity for bad ownership and a bad front office. Phoenix has the bankruptcy problems.... Columbus doesn't have anything good or bad.

Also, when teams are really bad for long periods of time (Clippers, etc.) they gain relevancy just by sucking. Mediocre teams are more irrelevant than bad ones.

I have a dream that one day, the Florida Panther owners will load everything they own into a Mayflower moving van, drive out of Miami in the middle of the night, realize they have nowhere to go, and leave said moving van outside the State of Florida Welcome Station along I-75 that gives out all the free juice.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

lol, every time I try to bump this thread with Panthers news, someone has to go in and make some stupid post about the Bills. I thought we agreed that the matter was settled and it was now a dedicated Panthers thread!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived