NCAA Basketball

Billy B

Illinois State lost its conference title game by 30 points. That couldn't have helped their resume.

To a National 5 seed. An underseeded 5 seed.

ISU lost to Drake twice during the regular season but the margin of defeat was only by three and six points for those two games. Jay Bilas already mentioned yesterday that Illinois State would be a shoo-in if they had lost to Drake by only three in the conference title game. I feel that ISU deserves a bid way more than Oregon or Kentucky does. Of course, if it weren't for those bubble busters like Georgia, San Diego, Temple, or George Mason, than it's likely that Illinois State would have made it in.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be the only one to get this joke, but I find it highly amusing that two schools more known for reaching the College World Series (which is in Omaha) will compete in the sectional that's held in... TA-DA! Omaha.

Also, it pisses me off to no end that Omaha will get to see Mayo vs. Beasley and I can't see it! :(

#4 for Wazzu? Ugh. Let's hope that we even make it to a game with North Carolina.

Not gonna happen! Upset time :D

Damn right they'll beat the Spewgars. Heck, it should be punishment for even putting Waz-Spew as a 4 seed. They weren't that good to earn a four seed to begin with.

ASU got screwed royal-style! I hope the UA "Mild"cats enjoy the early X-Mas present the NCAA gift-wrapped for them.

We're taking the NIT!

I would take Arizona over ASU in a heartbeat. And if BC makes the NIT, better watch your back. :D

Ummm.....as mentioned previously, Arizona State swept Arizona this season.

So? Arizona is far better. I don't think Maryland is better than UNC(I understand they only played once; but it was at UNC).

Hey, I'm just happy my Huskies ended up with a 4 seed. We ain't beating UCLA, though. No chance. Of course, Calhoun's boys have to get past San Diego and Drake first, but I think that's possible.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

KU wins the Big 12 - now onto the tournament where we will lose in the sweet 16 cause that's how we roll.

We can't win a national championship again cause our guy choke when it counts.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Annnd Bob Knight is the first guy this year to suggest a 128 team tournament this season. :wacko:

2 Final thoughts....Arizona State probably should have been ahead of Arizona by virtue of the season sweep (and better Conference standings)

I don't like the trend of the last two years of the committee pitting the good mid-major teams against each other in the 1st Round. The only way the midmajors can prove themselves is by playing the big boys, therefore it logically follows that they should have more opportunities to do so.

Virginia Tech probably got snubbed by another team in the ACC: Miami.

Virginia Tech earned the first-round bye, beat Miami in the ACC Tournament, and got beat on a last-second shot by the overall #1 seed in the country in North Carolina. But other than these points, I really don't know Miami's and Tech's resumes......

ASU got screwed royal-style! I hope the UA "Mild"cats enjoy the early X-Mas present the NCAA gift-wrapped for them.

We're taking the NIT!

I would take Arizona over ASU in a heartbeat. And if BC makes the NIT, better watch your back. :D

So? Arizona is far better. I don't think Maryland is better than UNC(I understand they only played once; but it was at UNC).

I'm not quite sure how you can rationalize "Arizona is far better than a team that beat them twice this season."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

We're taking the NIT!

I'm not quite sure how you can rationalize "Arizona is far better than a team that beat them twice this season."

OK, Arizona is 38th in RPI while State is 83rd, Arizona's SOS ranking is 2 while State's is 77. Non-Conference: Arizona has a 9-3 record, 5 RPI, 5 SOS. State: 10-2 record, 110 RPI, 296 SOS. The games against each other were very close, their conference records practically a wash; but those stats really set them apart a lot.

We're taking the NIT!

OK, Arizona is 38th in RPI while State is 83rd, Arizona's SOS ranking is 2 while State's is 77. Non-Conference: Arizona has a 9-3 record, 5 RPI, 5 SOS. State: 10-2 record, 110 RPI, 296 SOS. The games against each other were very close, their conference records practically a wash; but those stats really set them apart a lot.

The numbers you lay out are more indicative of the selection of opponents by the two teams as opposed to reflecting on each team's individual quality.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

We're taking the NIT!

The numbers you lay out are more indicative of the selection of opponents by the two teams as opposed to reflecting on each team's individual quality.

Then how would you rate them? Arizona had similar statistics against far better opponents.

We're taking the NIT!

Then how would you rate them? Arizona had similar statistics against far better opponents.

They are in a dead heat, with Arizona State getting the slight edge by virtue of the season sweep and the better finish in the Conference table.

Today, we are all otaku.

GBM, numbers mean nothing, it should have been what was on the field than what happened in the RPI, SOS. Arizona State was a far better school this season and I do believe because Arizona is a school based on prestige, Arizona State was screwed. Look what is on the field not on paper, ASU was the far better school. In 2 years when Lute is gone they will still be the better school. This year I believe we have seen the baton handed. ASU SCREWED

GBM, numbers mean nothing, it should have been what was on the field than what happened in the RPI, SOS. Arizona State was a far better school this season and I do believe because Arizona is a school based on prestige, Arizona State was screwed. Look what is on the field not on paper, ASU was the far better school. In 2 years when Lute is gone they will still be the better school. This year I believe we have seen the baton handed. ASU SCREWED

I don't know how you can say ASU was far better on the court. They had nearly identical conference records (9-11 vs. 9-10). Is there a formula that says who is better on the court? I frankly think that Arizona getting in on prestige is bull****, but that's my opinion. I don't think, either, that you can base "who is better" on only (and they were very close) head-to-head matchups alone when Zona did so much better in non-conference play(I know you said no numbers, but their non-conference RPI was 5). I don't know how you judge who is better on the court but the Committee person said they did talk to "basketball" people who talked about teams' style of play, etc., and that influenced their decision somewhat. So I would have to guess Zona wins "on the court" too.

I don't know how you can say ASU was far better on the court. They had nearly identical conference records (9-11 vs. 9-10). Is there a formula that says who is better on the court? I frankly think that Arizona getting in on prestige is bull****, but that's my opinion. I don't think, either, that you can base "who is better" on only (and they were very close) head-to-head matchups alone when Zona did so much better in non-conference play(I know you said no numbers, but their non-conference RPI was 5). I don't know how you judge who is better on the court but the Committee person said they did talk to "basketball" people who talked about teams' style of play, etc., and that influenced their decision somewhat. So I would have to guess Zona wins "on the court" too.

okay than talk to me on this. Did they beat 5 teams who were in the top 50 in the RPI? No ASU did, did they sweep their main rival this year? No ASU did, people I have talked to the past few hours agree that it was their prestige that got them that spot. They were an NIT team that bulls*** there way into the dance and were lucky to get in. So you say BS on prestige I say BS on the court. The better team was left out. You and I will disagree on this. Better leave it as is. ASU was screwed. ASU had the better record. ASU swept Arizona. Yeah rankings had a great deal in determining, but head to head should have been the number 1 key to look at how it should have been done. Arizona should have been the one left out. My opinion, and it's not going to change!

I don't know if anyone's asked this, but since both Ohio State and Florida did not qualify for the NCAA Tournament, when was the last time both finalists from the year before failed to qualify?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't know if anyone's asked this, but since both Ohio State and Florida did not qualify for the NCAA Tournament, when was the last time both finalists from the year before failed to qualify?

Muchas Gracias! That's kinda crazy that it's been that long.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/ma...ts/viewable_nit

NIT bracket is out. Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, and Arizona State get the one seeds.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/cbi/cbi_bracket08.pdf

The CBI's is out as well. Virginia, Washington, and Cincy are the only big conference schools playing in it.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived