Arena Rafters & Banners

If they want to have some "honoured numbers" for great players, I guess that's okay, but the best player in the history of the franchise should have his #12 retired outright.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 1 month later...

So the Rangers just retired Vic Hadfield’s number, officially reuniting The GAG Line. This is the 2nd time the number 11 has been retired (Mark Messier). Now, what makes this unique is that it’s not the first time the Rangers retired the same number twice. 

IwF8XCN.jpg

They retired 9 twice.

9nsPh1k.jpg

I’ve seen the Yankees retire 8 twice but is there any other team anywhere that retired 2 different numbers twice? 

XM4KeeA.png

The Canadiens have done it 3 times with numbers 5, 12, and 16 and the Maple Leafs have 6 pairs of the same retired numbers with 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, and 27. The latter is different though since most of those were honored and acknowledged by the team until they decided to formally retire them last year.

• Like 1

That's dumb.  If a guy is that significant, then hold his number out of circulation for a few seasons until the emotion dies down then decide what to do - but don't go back.  Retiring a number - especially after another significant player had it retired for them - is just silly.

The Phillies only retire numbers if the player makes it into the HOF (though they retired Richie Ashburn's #1 prior to his election.)  They retired Jim Bunning's number 14 in 2001, since he made the HOF as a Phillie - but not until 1996.

Here's the thing - tons of players wore 14 since him - including Pete Rose, who, if ever elected to the HOF will certainly be a Red, but still made a significant-enough impact in Phila that I think they could justify honoring him like that.

That would give them two 14s - and while not likely to happen, would be stupid if it did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's dumb.  If a guy is that significant, then hold his number out of circulation for a few seasons until the emotion dies down then decide what to do - but don't go back.  Retiring a number - especially after another significant player had it retired for them - is just silly.

The Phillies only retire numbers if the player makes it into the HOF (though they retired Richie Ashburn's #1 prior to his election.)  They retired Jim Bunning's number 14 in 2001, since he made the HOF as a Phillie - but not until 1996.

Here's the thing - tons of players wore 14 since him - including Pete Rose, who, if ever elected to the HOF will certainly be a Red, but still made a significant-enough impact in Phila that I think they could justify honoring him like that.

That would give them two 14s - and while not likely to happen, would be stupid if it did.

As we all should know by now, players can be superstitious, so something like a number can be a big thing to them.  Mark Messier, for example, had it written in on his contract with the Canucks that he wore number 11, even though it had been unofficially retired in memory of Wayne Maki, who had died of brain cancer.  Since Messier, no other player has worn that number.  So, it could be something like a player demanding a number and getting it, even if it had been worn by another significant player previously.  

Or, maybe it's a Pavel Bure situation.  He left the Canucks on really bad terms.  A few players have worn the number 10 after he left.  Eventually, the Canucks and Bure made up and they retired his number.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I agree with that. But you know what, I've been sitting on this wild conspiracy theory that most observed history of the New York Rangers is fictitious. I consider myself fairly well-versed in hockey lore, but I never know who the hell they're honoring. I think they're made up. I think I could do a man-on-the-street bit outside a Rangers game asking people if Andy Singer's number should be retired to properly commemorate the "Chorus Line" from those great Rangers teams of the early '60s, and I bet at least one guy would tell me that's what his dad has been saying for years.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, insert name said:

So the Rangers just retired Vic Hadfield’s number, officially reuniting The GAG Line. This is the 2nd time the number 11 has been retired (Mark Messier). Now, what makes this unique is that it’s not the first time the Rangers retired the same number twice. 

IwF8XCN.jpg

They retired 9 twice.

9nsPh1k.jpg

I’ve seen the Yankees retire 8 twice but is there any other team anywhere that retired 2 different numbers twice? 

The Chicago Cubs both have 31 retired for Fergie Jenkins and Greg Maddux.

The Chicago Blackhawks have 3 retired for Keith Magnuson and Pierre Pilote.

I'm sure there are many teams with a number retired for more than one person.  

6 hours ago, charger77 said:

Would the Blackhawks do it for Chelios and Seabrook?

I don't see any way they don't: Chelios's friendship ended with the Red Wings, now the Blackhawks are his best friend, so he's back in our good graces, and I'm guessing all the three-timers get their numbers retired: Toews, Kane, Keith, and Hossa are all headed to the Hall of Fame, Seabrook and Sharp fall short but are firmly in the retired-number tier of franchise players, and the case for Niklas Hjalmarsson might be borderline but I am very firmly yes on retiring #4.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't see any way they don't: Chelios's friendship ended with the Red Wings, now the Blackhawks are his best friend, so he's back in our good graces, and I'm guessing all the three-timers get their numbers retired: Toews, Kane, Keith, and Hossa are all headed to the Hall of Fame, Seabrook and Sharp fall short but are firmly in the retired-number tier of franchise players, and the case for Niklas Hjalmarsson might be borderline but I am very firmly yes on retiring #4.

Chris Chelios should rot in the hell that some people believe in for what he did to Brian Propp.  Thank somebody's god that Ron Hextall took care of business against that steaming pile of monkey crap.  If the world was fair, his number would have been retired posthumously by Montreal.  Scumbag. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Magic should do a “double retiring” or something for 1 - Penny Hardaway and Tracy McGrady. I also want 14 (Jameer Nelson) to be retired when he’s finally done making money to sit on a bench until the very end of the game, although that’s a long shot.

ExJworW.png

Situations like this are just really stupid:

i3uidf.png

The name on the bottom was who it was retired for, and all the other names are people that wore it since.  A very similar situation would occur if Roy Halladay gets into the HOF and they decide to retire 34.  I don't see them doing it, but I'm sure it would at least be discussed.  If they didn't consider it for Thome, then I doubt they'll do so for Halladay, though he had so many big-stage moments for them.

FWIW, they've held all the key numbers from the '08 championship team out of circulation since those guys left (11-Rollins, 26-Utley, 35-Hamels, 6-Howard, 8-Victorino(though not sure if that particular one is intentional)) 

• Like 1

During the Islanders' return to Nassau Coliseum the other day the broadcasters said the banners were replacements for the originals, which had been moved to Barclays and will be moved to Belmont eventually. So they have an entire second set of banners (it's like 30 banners at least) for their second arena.