Jump to content

Arena Rafters & Banners


Recommended Posts

It will be interesting to see what Montreal decides to do. Currently the Bell Centre only has banners for Stanley Cups & retired numbers, but considering that this was their most successful run in nearly 30 years I'm sure they'll want to do something to acknowledge it. Unless I'm mistaken, every team that has lost in the finals since Montreal last did in '89 has a banner commemorating it

 

Maybe they take a page out of the Bruins books and add one banner highlighting every season when they were a Cup finalist but didn't win. The Bruins include the seasons they won, but this would be a bit redundant for the Habs.

 

spacer.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

It will be interesting to see what Montreal decides to do. Currently the Bell Centre only has banners for Stanley Cups & retired numbers, but considering that this was their most successful run in nearly 30 years I'm sure they'll want to do something to acknowledge it. Unless I'm mistaken, every team that has lost in the finals since Montreal last did in '89 has a banner commemorating it

 

Maybe they take a page out of the Bruins books and add one banner highlighting every season when they were a Cup finalist but didn't win. The Bruins include the seasons they won, but this would be a bit redundant for the Habs.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Damn, I hate those banners. They look incredibly stupid next to the Stanley Cup banners and the iconic retired number ones. Just silly to need to recognize those mediocre accomplishments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

It will be interesting to see what Montreal decides to do. Currently the Bell Centre only has banners for Stanley Cups & retired numbers, but considering that this was their most successful run in nearly 30 years I'm sure they'll want to do something to acknowledge it. Unless I'm mistaken, every team that has lost in the finals since Montreal last did in '89 has a banner commemorating it

 

Maybe they take a page out of the Bruins books and add one banner highlighting every season when they were a Cup finalist but didn't win. The Bruins include the seasons they won, but this would be a bit redundant for the Habs.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Breaking the tradition of only putting up banners for Cup wins seems like an admission that they've sucked for 30 years and are desperate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 5:17 PM, Brass said:

Damn, I hate those banners. They look incredibly stupid next to the Stanley Cup banners and the iconic retired number ones. Just silly to need to recognize those mediocre accomplishments.

 

Calling conference championships & Presidents Trophies mediocre accomplishments is a pretty bold statement considering the Bruins have 1 Stanley Cup in the last 50 years.

 

On 7/9/2021 at 6:03 PM, ManillaToad said:

Breaking the tradition of only putting up banners for Cup wins seems like an admission that they've sucked for 30 years and are desperate

 

Well they can either commemorate the most successful campaign in nearly 3 decades, or they can maintain the delusion that they're the league's marquee franchise & that they're better than everyone else.

 

Other than a Carey Price number retirement, they could go another 20+ years without raising another banner.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

 

Calling conference championships & Presidents Trophies mediocre accomplishments is a pretty bold statement considering the Bruins have 1 Stanley Cup in the last 50 years.

 

You may want to check your math, but your point remains valid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I looked quick and thought the Prince of Wales banners were the Division Championship ones, which I believe they have/did have. The President Trophy and Division Winner banners are dumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Brass said:

I looked quick and thought the Prince of Wales banners were the Division Championship ones, which I believe they have/did have. The President Trophy and Division Winner banners are dumb.

 

Well when the Campbell & Wales trophies were introduced they were originally awarded to the regular season division winners. It wasn't until the '80s that they began awarding it to the playoff conference champs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2021 at 2:39 AM, packerfan21396 said:

Bucks socials had a gif of the 2021 banner, so here's what the rafters are going to look like in Fiserv Forum next season:

eDpjymT.png

Both banners look inconsistent. Sure, the 1971 banner is mirroring the original MECCA banner, but it doesn't mesh well with the 2021 banner. 

 

They already changed font for the "NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION" and "WORLD CHAMPIONS" texts. Might as well flip the order of the "WORLD CHAMPION" text and the logo. And yes, the font for "1971" text has to be consistent with the "2021" text, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, TheRealPepman said:

Both banners look inconsistent. Sure, the 1971 banner is mirroring the original MECCA banner, but it doesn't mesh well with the 2021 banner. 

 

They already changed font for the "NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION" and "WORLD CHAMPIONS" texts. Might as well flip the order of the "WORLD CHAMPION" text and the logo. And yes, the font for "1971" text has to be consistent with the "2021" text, too.

Well, like you pointed out, the 1971 banner is a recreation.  The 1971 is in Rockwell to match the font of the Milwaukee Bucks wordmark.  The actual 1971 banner uses Rockwell for the Milwaukee Bucks wordmark as well, but that's not accurate, so in this recreation, I used the actual wordmark which could make the 1971 even more out of place.  As for the new banner, I even created what I thought the new banner would look like by mirroring it exactly, but the information fits nicer the way the actual 2021 banner is designed.  I honestly don't mind it, it's like having period specific retired number banners.  Also, there may be a chance this means the 1971 banner gets redesigned to look similar.

 

naHkZzg.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Phillies made the controversial decision to retire Roy Halladay's number 34, even though at least two other players have worn it since he retired.  They were kinda backed into a corner since he didn't go into the HOF as a Blue Jay (not that he went in as a Phillie either) and when Bryce Harper signed, he turned down the number and said that they shouldn't give it out to anyone anymore.  

 

 

E8SRBF7XEAERjsU?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, Brass said:

 

Damn, I hate those banners. They look incredibly stupid next to the Stanley Cup banners and the iconic retired number ones. Just silly to need to recognize those mediocre accomplishments.

 

The more Bruins banners, the better, I say. It's a nice and necessary reminder that it's the Bruins' rink which the Celtics also happen to use. I'm still sore about them tearing out the yellow seats.

 

One thing I liked about the Joe Louis Arena is that the Red Wings jerked themselves off by putting up a banner for every semi-notable accomplishment such that the rafters were loaded with Wings banners. And they were good, simple banners, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Banners should be raised when you win a real thing.

 

Divisions are real things

Conferences are real things.

Titles are real things.

OIP.eVzy6_xn3e2iOJmuH2XbLgAAAA?pid=ImgDe

 

The President's Trophy is a real thing.    Whether or not it is a real accomplishment is debatable.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.