Arena Rafters & Banners

On 11/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I can't find one of Michigan State's newest Final Four hanging, looks like they may have changed the design

EHxy3sXWsAABxEM?format=jpg&name=smallImage result for michigan state final four banners"

banners-120219.jpg

That's the new look for Michigan State's Final Four and National Championship Banners

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

what the hell is this lol

spacer.png

I think they were trying to go for some pattern to make sure the latest two cup banners are in the middle, but when the banners are identical, it renders this idea pointless.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

22 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

They really should have updated their logo for the 2010, 2013 and 2015 banners.  Then the idea could have worked (somewhat).

If they're gonna do that they ought to use era-appropriate colors, logos and Cup images for the '30s banners.

JDz8Zeu.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Phillies retired Dick Allen's number 15 today, breaking their policy of only retiring numbers of HOFers (though he was likely to be elected by some committee this year if not for the covid).  The "owner" actually wrote a 3+ page policy on what the new policy is, which basically amounts to "we'll do it if we want to."

MPBrtX57hZhSTGulZKBaWB8YQrLVM3fnUGjKGR2S

I can't tell exactly where this is.  I'm assuming they'll have to repaint all the other walls since they do them in numerical order, and they had already planned for Haladay's 34 to go up this year.  For reference, here's the other ones:

14039569308_477d280851_b.jpg

phillies-retired-numbers.jpg

If Rose ever gets in, they'll probably have to add it to Bunning's 14.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

^Always hated how the Phillies did their retired numbers. Painted on brick and what, 3 feet high? That's bush league. Philly's better than that.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, CS85 said:

I think they were trying to go for some pattern to make sure the latest two cup banners are in the middle, but when the banners are identical, it renders this idea pointless.

I think I see the pattern--chronological, alternating between left and right (like how in US political debates they have the lowest-polling candidate on the far left of the stage, 2nd lowest on the far right, 3rd lowest second from left, etc.). Still dumb.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Really don't get the Halladay decision. He had two great years, one bad one, and one terrible one with Philadelphia, and he didn't even win a World Series. Even four great years would be borderline

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

55 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

Really don't get the Halladay decision. He had two great years, one bad one, and one terrible one with Philadelphia, and he didn't even win a World Series. Even four great years would be borderline

In part due to things he and his wife have said about their time there, and that he's logoless on his HOF plaque out of deference to the Phillies.  Also, while only two great years, he did have the perfect game and playoff no-hitter while with them, and got his true national exposure.

It also probably helped that Bryce Harper turned down the number and pushed them to retire it.

EDIT:  He's a weird case.  Obviously he had HOF cred with the Blue Jays, but he had his biggest moments while with the Phillies, and while he was only hear 4 seasons he "feels" like a Phillie (to a Phillie fan).  There's countless great players that pass through and never really connect.  Hell - there's great players that play their whole careers here and don't connect.  There was something different about him that (I really hate saying this) you really need to have been here to 'get'.  We claim half of him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BigBubba said:

^Always hated how the Phillies did their retired numbers. Painted on brick and what, 3 feet high? That's bush league. Philly's better than that.

They also have these statue thingies

Citizens-Bank-Park-Left-Field-Plaza-4.jp

rawImage.jpg

I assume the Nats will act like they've been there before for their next title.

As for now they have the following, what I assume to be permanent, additions marking the 2019 World Series title:

• A pennant over the scoreboard
  • A sign next to the division title signs on the RF overhang
  • A sign on the area formerly known as the Red Porch

(The big sign marking the 2018 All Star Game remains in CF)

Possible temporary additions:

• Sign on the OF wall padding in the RF corner
  • A sign over the entrance to the home clubhouse from the field
  • A flag flying next to the US and DC flags on the CF plaza
  • A logo atop the home dugout

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I'm not complaining, just observing.  Hell yeah, milk this one for all we got.   

90758391980.gif

On 9/4/2020 at 11:46 AM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

I assume the Nats will act like they've been there before for their next title.

As for now they have the following, what I assume to be permanent, additions marking the 2019 World Series title:

• A pennant over the scoreboard
  • A sign next to the division title signs on the RF overhang
  • A sign on the area formerly known as the Red Porch

(The big sign marking the 2018 All Star Game remains in CF)

Possible temporary additions:

• Sign on the OF wall padding in the RF corner
  • A sign over the entrance to the home clubhouse from the field
  • A flag flying next to the US and DC flags on the CF plaza
  • A logo atop the home dugout

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I'm not complaining, just observing.  Hell yeah, milk this one for all we got.   

That is showing a dead link on my end

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 12:34 AM, BigBubba said:

On 9/4/2020 at 1:24 AM, BBTV said:

In part due to things he and his wife have said about their time there, and that he's logoless on his HOF plaque out of deference to the Phillies.  Also, while only two great years, he did have the perfect game and playoff no-hitter while with them, and got his true national exposure.

It also probably helped that Bryce Harper turned down the number and pushed them to retire it.

EDIT:  He's a weird case.  Obviously he had HOF cred with the Blue Jays, but he had his biggest moments while with the Phillies, and while he was only hear 4 seasons he "feels" like a Phillie (to a Phillie fan).  There's countless great players that pass through and never really connect.  Hell - there's great players that play their whole careers here and don't connect.  There was something different about him that (I really hate saying this) you really need to have been here to 'get'.  We claim half of him.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but speaking as someone with no connection to Philadelphia the fact he was a Phillie for "only" four years surprises me, it feels it was much longer than that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but a detail I really love about how a lot of teams do their Stanley Cup banners is that they'll have the same design as the rest of them but in a different colour. It gives them continuity with the rest of the banners while also makes sure they stand out.

• Like 1