Arena Rafters & Banners

Why not say "NBA Cup" champions?  IST sounds ridiculous, even if that's what it was called.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m willing to bet that having a banner for the IST was a league-mandate to give the event legitimacy. The fact that the Lakers went with the design that they did reinforces that the mandate wasn’t wholeheartedly embraced.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

5 hours ago, LMU said:

I’m willing to bet that having a banner for the IST was a league-mandate to give the event legitimacy. The fact that the Lakers went with the design that they did reinforces that the mandate wasn’t wholeheartedly embraced.

No doubt in my mind it was done to give it legitimacy. In like 10 years it'll probably be normal. I just wish the tournament was referred to as the NBA Cup because that sounds way better and could get the casual sports fan intrigued.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

9 hours ago, LMU said:

It definitely was. A few days before the end of the tournament the reports were that the Lakers weren't planning on hanging a banner if they won, since they don't even hang banners for conference championships. Silver obviously wanted them to acknowledge it, and I guess they compromised by having one banner that they can add more years to if they end up winning it again.

The fact that they decided to put it with the Minneapolis banners shows you how the organization feels.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, tohasbo said:

A couple more....Don't have anything all together but here's the Saints....

9cozQ1x.jpgVIPkU3w.jpg

Florida Panthers...it was the best one I was able to locate

wI9Bie3.jpg

Do the Saints really have two banners for the 2006 NFC South Title?

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

Leave it to Google Streetview to give a better idea of the current NOLA setup.

Given the Saints' 50th logo on the side of the stands and the use of the Rams' old logo on all the screens showing the scores, Google's images are definitely from 2016. Dunno if I'd necessarily call that "current".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Given the Saints' 50th logo on the side of the stands and the use of the Rams' old logo on all the screens showing the scores, Google's images are definitely from 2016. Dunno if I'd necessarily call that "current".

2016's plenty recent, it was just...

oh.

oh no.

oh god.

• Like 3

ExJworW.png

With the Women's Beanpot being hosted at the TD Garden for the first time this year, the arena added its 47th banner last week before the semifinals.

Women's Beanpot banner raised to TD Garden rafters

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 2/1/2024 at 10:51 AM, kiwi_canadian said:

SOO Greyhounds have removed the John Vanbiesbrouck's retired number banner. The number 1 will continue to be retired but the banner won't hang.

OHL’s Soo Greyhounds remove John Vanbiesbrouck’s banner from the rafters

The comments on that are downright scary.  I really hope it's just trolls and not real people who feel that way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."