Arena Rafters & Banners

Funny cause the finalist banner looks better than the championship one. It just seems like UConn's name up top is an afterthought and I don't care for the "champions" name being smaller than the year of the title. They should switch it. 

• Like 1

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

1 hour ago, Alex Houston said:

Funny cause the finalist banner looks better than the championship one. It just seems like UConn's name up top is an afterthought and I don't care for the "champions" name being smaller than the year of the title. They should switch it. 

I think the UConn ones are weird because they have copies of their banners at the XL Center in Hartford where other pro teams play. So they wanted a banner that said UConn that also distinguished what sport it was for as well as if it was the men's or women's team.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, Cujo said:

Denver's recent addition.

OXLZVE5ABFOZPEZBCGBKDMCSCM.jpg

Don't like how the playoff banners just say 2023 while the division one says 2022-23.  I get why they did it, but they'd be better to be consistent and all have 2022-23 on them.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Those are awful.  Is that Colts one real, or a photoshop?  If real, that's among the dumbest banners I've ever seen in my life.

This is the first season the Phillies have qualified for the playoffs without winning either the division, NLCS, or WS.  I don't think they'll hang a flag for the WC, because they usually hang their flag as soon as they win whatever it is, and then replace it with the higher-ranked one if appropriate (point being, I think they'd have already hanged the WC flag if it were to ever exist.)

I'll be extremely disappointed if they celebrate the wild card or meaningless division series win (like the Blue Jays appear to do).  Don't think they will, but hoping they don't change their mind in the offseason.  

Also, their flags are white for division, blue for pennant, and red for WS.  There's no logical color for anything else, unless they did gray or powder blue, which would be dumb.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Saddledome last weekend and I counted 46 banners spread across 4 teams. That's got to be one of the most in terms of teams and combined banners, right? The only ones off the top of my head that I can see being higher is Staples and the TD Garden, but those both have less teams. Any other thoughts?

For the curious, the Hitmen have the most with 21, then the Flames with 18, the Roughnecks with five and the Wranglers have two.

The Flames and Hitmen banners are on big pipes at the opposite far ends of the arena, while the Roughnecks are on the first blue rafter to the left of the scoreboard (in this picture below from however many years ago) and the new Wranglers ones are on the first blue rafter to the right of the scoreboard (not in this picture).

Scotiabank-Saddledome_LICENSED.jpg

I'm in the Saddledome mostly for Hitmen games and first noticed last season that they started pulling the Roughnecks banners up into the rafters for those games, which I overheard an usher answering someone else saying that those were pulled up because of the Flames flamethrowers. Two weekends ago I was at a Hitmen game and the Wranglers banners were down as the Wranglers had only raised them the day before but during the Hitmen game last weekend, the Wranglers were pulled up also.

I'll be at the Ducks game in Calgary this season and plan to attend at least one Roughnecks game, so I'll have to remember to see which banners are out when.

IbjBaeE.png

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I was at the Saddledome last weekend and I counted 46 banners spread across 4 teams. That's got to be one of the most in terms of teams and combined banners, right? The only ones off the top of my head that I can see being higher is Staples and the TD Garden, but those both have less teams. Any other thoughts?

For the curious, the Hitmen have the most with 21, then the Flames with 18, the Roughnecks with five and the Wranglers have two.

The Flames and Hitmen banners are on big pipes at the opposite far ends of the arena, while the Roughnecks are on the first blue rafter to the left of the scoreboard (in this picture below from however many years ago) and the new Wranglers ones are on the first blue rafter to the right of the scoreboard (not in this picture).

Scotiabank-Saddledome_LICENSED.jpg

I'm in the Saddledome mostly for Hitmen games and first noticed last season that they started pulling the Roughnecks banners up into the rafters for those games, which I overheard an usher answering someone else saying that those were pulled up because of the Flames flamethrowers. Two weekends ago I was at a Hitmen game and the Wranglers banners were down as the Wranglers had only raised them the day before but during the Hitmen game last weekend, the Wranglers were pulled up also.

I'll be at the Ducks game in Calgary this season and plan to attend at least one Roughnecks game, so I'll have to remember to see which banners are out when.

TD Garden isn’t close, the Celtics hang less banners than the hitmen. Now if the hung individual banners for their retired numbers rather than consolidating them the Celtics would nearly double them. Regardless the bruins wouldn’t have enough banners to top them still I believe.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

TD Garden isn’t close, the Celtics hang less banners than the hitmen. Now if the hung individual banners for their retired numbers rather than consolidating them the Celtics would nearly double them. Regardless the bruins wouldn’t have enough banners to top them still I believe.

I forgot the Celtics do that for the retired players.

IbjBaeE.png

Nashville Predators honored former-GM David Poile with a banner on Wednesday night:

Couldn't find a clean photo of just the banner, but it matches the style of the Pekka Rinne banner installed previously with the initials "DP" in place of the jersey number:

Spoiler

17760702.jpeg

On 11/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

I think the UConn ones are weird because they have copies of their banners at the XL Center in Hartford where other pro teams play. So they wanted a banner that said UConn that also distinguished what sport it was for as well as if it was the men's or women's team.

Yeah, more or less.

XL-UCONNGame-1024x680.jpg

I will say, the UConn banners are super consistent, and I appreciate that. (Not featured, the Whalers and Wolf Pack banners.)

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

On 11/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, dont care said:

The TD Garden actually has 46 banners.

17 Celtics Championship Banners

3 Celtics Retired Numbers Banners

6 Bruins Stanley Cup Banners

6 Bruins Division/Conference/Presidents Trophy Banners

12 Retired Number Banners

1 Beanpot Champion Banner

1 Hockey East Champion Banner

The old Boston Garden had considerably more banners since the Bruins used to have a separate banner for every division and conference title.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

• 2 weeks later...