Winter Classic In Wrigley?

pcgd

I love this trend of more and more hockey games being played outdoors.

I'd take it a step further, and have the rookie game played on a frozen pond or stretch of river.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they're gonna have a huge demand, and that's why I don't get why they're not just doing it in Soldiers Field. Plus, at Soldiers Field you can get some tailgating going.

I can't believe you're from Chicago.

First off, every good Chicagoian calls it Soldiers Field... Didn't you ever see Da Super Fans?

superfans-756658.jpg

Second, as I understand it, in addition to the play-off concerns, the Park District (who run Soldier Field) and the Bears have had problems in the past about outside events at the stadium. It should come as no surprise that the NHL would have problems putting a game there...

Moose

I think they're gonna have a huge demand, and that's why I don't get why they're not just doing it in Soldiers Field. Plus, at Soldiers Field you can get some tailgating going.

First off, every good Chicagoian calls it Soldiers Field... Didn't you ever see Da Super Fans?

superfans-756658.jpg

Second, as I understand it, in addition to the play-off concerns, the Park District (who run Soldier Field) and the Bears have had problems in the past about outside events at the stadium. It should come as no surprise that the NHL would have problems putting a game there...

Moose

1) He's right, most everyone says it incorrectly

2) I'm a Packers fan

C) Playoffs? Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Thank you so much I was just about to post that. Read the side of the building.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

2) I'm a Packers fan

Same here. Hey, ya ever gone to a Sox game at Kaminsky Park?

Oh, man, you do not want to open that can of worms around me.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't suppose Toyota Park was ever seriously considered? Seems to me a soccer/lacrosse stadium would make for better hockey sightlines than a baseball park.

CCSLC signature.png

2) I'm a Packers fan

Same here. Hey, ya ever gone to a Sox game at Kaminsky Park?

Oh, man, you do not want to open that can of worms around me.

Right...and the Cheese Heads are such a classy part of Packer Lore.... :P

I think that they worry (Park District) about the time of year and thinking that the Bears will make a playoff run on a natural grass field. Trying to keep that playable while laying ice in a section of the football field. Most of remember how crappy Candlestick/Monster Park was following a Giants season and how the Raiders and Dolphins deal with re-sodding issues themselves. The CFL season was over in Edmonton, and Ralph Wilson Stadium as Fieldturf. This summer, FC Barcelona will play Chivas (the real one) at Soldier Field and aside from the $40 parking fee, I really don't see that there is an issue if it is not during Bears home dates.

Personally, I think that they need to bring back the Chicago Sting and play in Wrigley. Whomever buys the Cubs and the stadium may need the revenue.

Kaminski Park

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wild v. Stars at TCF Bank Stadium or the Twins Stadium, 2010

Nah, the 2010 game will be at the New Yankee Stadium.

But I have a feeling all of the owners will want to have a nice payday with the outdoor stadium game so by 2011 any team that can will have one.

I love this trend of more and more hockey games being played outdoors.

But I want it to go further. I want to see NBA games played outdoors. In the winter. Like the Pistons vs. the Cavaliers at Comerica or what used to be the Jake. Man, that would be fun.

haha my sig.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Y'all are missing the greatest possibility for an outdoor game. Kings vs. Rangers on the beach of Santa Monica in late afternoon as the sun sets the first Saturday after New Year's, because you don't want to compete against the Rose Bowl itself. It can be done because years ago in the first Frozen Fury, the Kings and Rangers played outdoors in Vegas. It can be done especially with technology today and it'd be great. Of course I did think about Maui, but they don't have a team. I'm looking for ratings people, after awhile an outdoor game will be just that, an outdoor game and you won't be tuning in because of the game being outdoor, but because of the teams playing. When you need that next spectacle, this is the answer.

I don't suppose Toyota Park was ever seriously considered? Seems to me a soccer/lacrosse stadium would make for better hockey sightlines than a baseball park.

I think this is a really good idea. Wrigley Field is just terrible as the are tons of bad seats, bad slightlines and areas that are open to the elements. Being in a more intimate setting would totally rock.

MildlyPsycho.png

Realsig.png

I think this is a really good idea. Wrigley Field is just terrible as the are tons of bad seats, bad slightlines and areas that are open to the elements. Being in a more intimate setting would totally rock.

No. No. No.

Toyota Park was never considered. I doubt that a lot of Chicagoans, let alone anybody outside the area, have even heard of the place. It's not a famous venue, and I think that's what the Classic is about. It's not about sightlines.

It's also pretty far away and isolated. And on the south side.

I don't think this would be a good idea.

(Toyota Park is also really small.)

- BTW, most people do not call it Soldiers Field. And using Da Super Fans as an example of real Chicagoans is, lacking a better tem, assinine. It's a caricature (sp?) of Chicagoans, and a bad one at that.

I hope no97 was being sarcastic.

Archived