Winter Classic In Wrigley?

pcgd

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's 80% of Wrigley Field's capacity? I'm happy for that market, I really am, they deserve a big event... :)

Wrigley holds ~40,000, so figure 32,000, however, there is a long tradition of building temporary bleachers for football, World Series (don't laugh), soccer and other events at the ballpark. For a great history of the ballpark, read Stuart Shea's Wrigley Field: The Unauthorized Biography.

Moose

I think they're gonna have a huge demand, and that's why I don't get why they're not just doing it in Soldiers Field. Plus, at Soldiers Field you can get some tailgating going.

That's pretty cool. I hope the NHL will continue with Winter Classics, it's a great idea. One per season would be enough, though...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

:cry: I want one in New York

But I think Wrigley is an excellent venue and Wings vs Blackhawks is a good rivalary and the Hawks appear to be turning the corner.

And I do agree Pullux one a year keeps it a special event

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So I guess the Rangers/Bruins game not gonna happen outdoors anymore. I know there was issues with the old Yankees Stadium being used. One cause it will be turned over to the city at the end of MLB season and concerns of some of the pipes in Yankee Stadium being used in the winter time.

As much as I wanted to see a Flyers/Pens game at Penn State, this probably makes the most sense for the league. I do, however, think that although it may make more sense to have the game at Soldier Field (for attendance and tailgating purposes), it would probably be better suited at Wrigley because it would give a new dynamic to the event which was only held in football stadiums before.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

That would be great if they play the game at Wrigley, although I think Soldier Field would be the better choice. I'm hoping that I would be able to find a way to get tickets, this would be a great game.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That would be great if they play the game at Wrigley, although I think Soldier Field would be the better choice. I'm hoping that I would be able to find a way to get tickets, this would be a great game.

I bet the problem with using Soldier Field is the fact that the Bears could potentially need the stadium for a playoff game. I know it's a longshot for the Bears to make the playoffs, but you have to have it planned out for every scenario.

I think they're gonna have a huge demand, and that's why I don't get why they're not just doing it in Soldiers Field. Plus, at Soldiers Field you can get some tailgating going.

Wrigley Field is a very famous venue. Soldier Field (especially since the remodel) is less so. This is a made for TV event, attendance is secondary. Thus they are going to put it in the more famous stadium in hopes to draw a few extra viewers. Not to mention it is easier to hold the event in Wrigley as they won't have to scramble to build the rink like last year to work around Bears football.

I can't believe you're from Chicago.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love this trend of more and more hockey games being played outdoors.

But I want it to go further. I want to see NBA games played outdoors. In the winter. Like the Pistons vs. the Cavaliers at Comerica or what used to be the Jake. Man, that would be fun.

Archived