Dear ESPN

buzzcut

Valdosta, GA as Titletown, USA?????

On one hand, i'm glad it's not Boston or New York. On the other, who the heck voted for Valdosta so many times?

Sorry ESPN, Titletown, USA will always(and should) be Green Bay(as a Vikings fan, I should be envious, but it should be right).

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can Val-whatever, GA be "Titletown USA" if I, a sports fan, have never even heard of it??

I didn't think anything on SportsCenter could be possibly be worse than Who's Now. I have just been proven wrong.

6uXNWAo.png

How can Val-whatever, GA be "Titletown USA" if I, a sports fan, have never even heard of it??

I didn't think anything on SportsCenter could be possibly be worse than Who's Now. I have been proven wrong.

Nah, Who's Now was still worse. After all, how could you explain Sid the Kid being eliminated in Round 1 and Tiger winning the whole thing? It was a product of the ESPN Hype Machine. At least this contest didn't fall victim to that, because if it did I GUARANTEE Boston would've won.

espnsig.gif

I didn't think anything on SportsCenter could be possibly be worse than Who's Now. I have been proven wrong.

Nah, Who's Now was still worse. After all, how could you explain Sid the Kid being eliminated in Round 1 and Tiger winning the whole thing?

I hate to break it to you, but in America, Tiger is 9372 times more popular than Sidney Crosby.

6uXNWAo.png

ESPN got their wish. We are debating something that was as pointless as it was stupid. They do this :censored:, people talk about how dumb it is, and then here we are posting in an entire thread devoted to the outcome of said stupid ESPN event. Sheer :censored:-ing genius on their part.

BB52Big.jpg

Nah, Who's Now was still worse. After all, how could you explain Sid the Kid being eliminated in Round 1 and Tiger winning the whole thing?

I hate to break it to you, but in America, Tiger is 9372 times more popular than Sidney Crosby.

Yea that's true, but Crosby was matched up against Derek Jeter in the 1st round, and while I know Jeter is more popular (only because he plays for the Yankees), he's still not more "now" than Crosby; his marquee accomplishments all pretty much happened five or more years ago.

Like I said, chock it up to the Hype Machine... I'm still convinced that the reason hockey isn't as popular is because it isn't given enough exposure on networks like ESPN. And they can't give us the BS that hockey isn't popular in the States, because there are still a good number of hockey fans (way more than soccer fans, that's for sure, and yet soccer gets preferential treatment from BSPN).

espnsig.gif

Valdosta? What? First of all, how the hell did that po-dunk town ever get in it? Hands down it's Los Angeles, betwen the Lakers, Dodgers, UCLA, USC, and the fact that it's hosted TWO Olympics... no one else comes close.

Did anyone pay attention to their piece on SC? I voted for them on merit and I didn't even vote for my hometown. As the home to the most state and national high school championships (between only 3 schools) and the success of Valdosta State they are very deserving.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Ah, the great void of summer, when ESPN uses kitschy promotions to regain viewers and the Sportscenter anchors clearly have never seen half of the sports they're covering before that night of highlights. (Beach soccer? Really?)

No worries, gents, football season is just around the corner.

Yea that's true, but Crosby was matched up against Derek Jeter in the 1st round, and while I know Jeter is more popular (only because he plays for the Yankees), he's still not more "now" than Crosby; his marquee accomplishments all pretty much happened five or more years ago.

Like I said, chock it up to the Hype Machine... I'm still convinced that the reason hockey isn't as popular is because it isn't given enough exposure on networks like ESPN. And they can't give us the BS that hockey isn't popular in the States, because there are still a good number of hockey fans (way more than soccer fans, that's for sure, and yet soccer gets preferential treatment from BSPN).

You silly puckheads are so cute when you're angry.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well, it's better than that town from Ohio that was nominated I guess. The town's HS hasn't won a state title in football since 1980 and none in a playoff system, and did nothing in any other sport, but still got nominated somehow. Hell, my town could make a better case for Titletown than that.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Explain to me how Green Bay is Titletown USA. I'm well aware of the 12 Championships. However, they have won only 3 Super Bowls (which trails the Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, and Raiders).

Valdosta, Georgia?

Valdosta High is the winningest program in the history of High School football.

6 National Championships

23 State Championships

41 Regional Championships

Here's their Head Coach in 2001 explaining:

Our program is 86 years old, and has been through 12 head coaches. We have only been below a .500 winning percentage five out of the 86 years. We have accumulated 39 region championships, 23 state championships, and six national championships. Here is a little fact to help you better understand how tough our region is. A team from our region has either won or played for a state championship 40 times in last 52 years. Valdosta is the winningest high school football team in America. Our record is 782-160-33. To put that into a better perspective for you, we could lose every game for the next 60 years and still have a winning percentage above .500. Of course if this were to occur I would no longer be the coach

Cross-town Lowndes High has 4 state titles of their own.

Also, Valdosta State has 2 National Championships of their own.

Just because you haven't heard of Valdosta doesn't diminish their accomplishments.

I bet when the Olympics come around you wouldn't have heard of 80% of the athletes, yet they are the best at what they do.

Nah, Who's Now was still worse. After all, how could you explain Sid the Kid being eliminated in Round 1 and Tiger winning the whole thing? It was a product of the ESPN Hype Machine. At least this contest didn't fall victim to that, because if it did I GUARANTEE Boston would've won.

It lost me when Tom Brady beat Galactus.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

ESPN got their wish. We are debating something that was as pointless as it was stupid. They do this :censored: , people talk about how dumb it is, and then here we are posting in an entire thread devoted to the outcome of said stupid ESPN event. Sheer :censored: -ing genius on their part.

Exactly. Getting bent out of shape over an ESPN poll / contest / gimmicky thing is like getting bent out of shape over WWE wrestling. It's a work, kids.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Uhh, except Parkersburg, WV has 193 state titles, and 182 since 1950. Valdosta? Titletown? I think not.

(Not like anyone actually gives a :censored:. Right?)

I'm talking football.

Parkersburg High 11 State titles (3 of which were won without a tournament, merely voted on by writers)

Parkersburg South has won 1 State title (2003)

Archived