MLB 2009

mania

Also, if the team struggles and ends up having a poor record at some point in the season, it just looks bad to have a patch that announces how good you were before this year.

That's a good point.

Didn't the 2004 Marlins do this?

I'm against this, but just because I'm against patches in general.

I thought the Cardinals either did it or there were rumors of them planning on doing it. I could be wrong.

The Cardinals wore patches in '07 only on the home uniforms. I think it's stupid, but not as bad as when the Marlins wore their 10th anniversary champion patches.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My review of the new MLB 2009 uniforms

Atlanta: I don't like the all-navy cap with the road uniforms, which are still one of the best road uniforms in baseball. Though the navy alternate jersey made it's debut last season, I still don't like them. They would look much better with "Atlanta in red with white outline above red tomahawk on navy" Grade - D

Baltimore: I like the addition of "Baltimore" on their road uniforms. I'm very impressed with everything the Orioles have done with their uniforms. The new logo is a great improvement over the last one. The baseball diamond made the last logo look too busy. Grade - A

Boston: Why did they change their road uniforms? The ones they had before were perfect. I don't like the new navy lettering & numbering. They should at least added a red trim. Still don't like the red alternates. The Navy alt. jerseys are fine though. The Red Sox should be one of those teams that doesn't need a alternate uniforms along with the Yankees, Tigers, Phillies, Giants, Dodgers, or Cardinals. I can live with the Red Sox new primary & alternate logos.

Grade - C

Minnesota: The 1982 throwbacks are nice! Way better than the sleeveless alternates the Twins also have. I know the original 1982 uniforms had the pull-over uniforms, but the updated throwbacks look much better. Just don't bring back the powder blue uniforms like the Blue Jays did last year (though even those look better than what the Blue Jays currently wear.) Grade - A+

Philiadelphia: I know that the Phillies' retro uniforms debuted last year, but they have added a blue heltmet to match their blue caps. I don't care for the blue caps, but the rest of the uniforms are nice. Grade - B

Pittsburgh: The Pirates were one of the few teams that could pull off the sleeveless look. That said, the new uniforms with sleeves are just as great. The black alternate uniforms are sharp. And the best part? No more of those disgusting red alternate sleeveless jerseys! Grade - A+

Tampa Bay: Still not in love with these uniforms as there is too much dark blue in baseball. (Green is sadly underused in baseball uniforms.) As for the Rays new navy alternate jerseys, don't like them that much. The "Rays" script should be light blue or white. Grade - D

Texas: The Rangers had never had truly great uniforms. The ones they had before were okay (not great, but not awful either). As for the new ones, I don't like the "TEXAS" script on the home uniforms. Also don't care for the new red jerseys. Grade - D

Washington: I still don't care for the Nats' home jersesy, but their new road jerseys are a huge improvement over the previous road uniforms. The red alternates are meh, but I do like the blue "DC" alternates. The Nats should have made a new home uniform with a "DC" logo on the left side similar to the Yankees "NY" logo, Tigers "old English D" logo, etc. Grade - B

That's my 2 cents.

Source used

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=mlb

3389572201_5e9313abd0.jpg

Stupid.

So now the Blue Jays are playing catch-up to the Raptors in terms of uniform design? Holy Facepalm, Batman.

"See, the Maple Leaf lets everyone know we're from Canada, eh!" Yes, and so does the fact that your team name includes the word Toronto. Geez. Of all times, now seems like the least necessary for Canadian teams to develop this sort of inferiority complex.

Put the damn bird back in the leaf, change the rest of the uniform design back to 1997, and you've got something. Otherwise, ugh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ugh.

The Braves have one of the best caps in the bigs - why bother with an alternate?

Of course, they also have beautiful uniforms, but they insist on selling ugly-ass alternates as well.

I wish the Braves would make all their tomahawks the same on all jerseys. I wish they would make the blue tomahawks with red outline that you see on the alternates on the home and away too.

I could not agree more. While they're at it, I wish that they could add numbers back to the front. I like the look they had when they were in Milwaukee.

Here's a repost of what the new road uni will look like for the Braves (actually an action shot from last year's game @ Milwaukee).

Atlanta%20Braves%20v%20Milwaukee%20Brewers%205wsdDwL0zKKl.jpg

Still looks too drab. It just doesn't go along with the set. The only way it would work is if they redesigned the road uni (mainly flipping the red and navy around).

Here's to hoping that this change will only last a week. Let's all hope it will be short-term. But, at least the all-navy helmets won't clash with the navy jerseys.

The only time the all-navy caps looked good was when they first wore them in the late 1960's, and the script on the road jerseys was plain navy.

Those look terrible, guys. BallWonk is on the money about the red bill being a Braves Thing and now they ruined it.

I agree they should never change that for the home set, but I REALLY like the all blue hat with the grey roads. McWonderful was right, tasty.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I'm all about the all blue cap. But it needs to go with the all blue jersey. The red bill Atlanta cap is one of the best in baseball. Plus (as was mentioned before) the Bravos would have to change the current road uni to make it work. The Braves home and road should never be messed with, it's the two alternates that need some work. I still love them though.

So are the Jays still getting a blue alternate or what? Havent seen any news lately.

Also, that Maple Leaf on the jersey is horrible. No red in the jersey except in the sleeve patch...

beLEAF

I'm not to crazy about the All-Blue hat, it's okay but I really hate that it is going to be used so much this season, it's not bad with the Road Alt, but I would rather see more red on the Road Alt.

I was playing The Show and when I wear the Navy Alts. they were the Hat with the Tomahawk A on it, are they planning to wear it like that this season? If so, Im all for it, just because I love those hats :D

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

I'm not to crazy about the All-Blue hat, it's okay but I really hate that it is going to be used so much this season, it's not bad with the Road Alt, but I would rather see more red on the Road Alt.

I was playing The Show and when I wear the Navy Alts. they were the Hat with the Tomahawk A on it, are they planning to wear it like that this season? If so, Im all for it, just because I love those hats :D

The tomahawk hat (which I also love) is only for the red alternate. Every time I play the Show, I see something else wrong with the uniforms. If you play the Marlins and they wear the black alternate, you will notice that right above the sleeve patch, there will be an all black duplicate of that patch. All of the jerseys button down all the way, even the Spring training/BP uniforms. I honestly think those guys need to hire some of us to get it right for them because it's obvious they can't do it themselves.

It's a drab and less interesting version of an iconic cap. Tasty! No, unnecessary, like the A's road, Cubs road, Cardinals road, etc. There was nothing wrong with what the Braves wore when they rattled off a multitude of divisional titles. Both of their alternate jerseys are really ugly. The alternate hats are ugly. The radial arching is ugly. Who wins the East every year on national television and dilutes that brand? Dumbdumbheads, that's who.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's a drab and less interesting version of an iconic cap. Tasty! No, unnecessary, like the A's road, Cubs road, Cardinals road, etc. There was nothing wrong with what the Braves wore when they rattled off a multitude of divisional titles. Both of their alternate jerseys are really ugly. The alternate hats are ugly. The radial arching is ugly. Who wins the East every year on national television and dilutes that brand? Dumbdumbheads, that's who.

Cardinals road caps are far from unnecessary.

If they had at least left the button on top red, so that the only change from home to road would be the bill from red to navy, then it would just be total and utter crap instead of pure s**t like it is now. A red outline around the 'A' or a red 'A' with or without a white outline would still be more appropriate with the current road uniforms than these caps, but still would not be good. Then they'd look like either the Nationals or Cardinals road caps. And a solid red 'A' with no outline wouldn't show up too well on the navy cap, the when the cardinals had their red 'STL' on a navy cap (with red bill) in the past, it didn't look too bad. But still, the point is, the navy crown/red bill/white 'A' is and always should be the home AND road cap for the Atlanta Braves. Though, count me as one who wouldn't mind seeing what it'd be like to switch the tomahawk on the home and away jerseys back to navy. It'd be interesting to see if it would improve or lessen the look of the set.

Archived