2008 World Series

Swiss

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So basically either they finish the game, or it's a mini-doubleheader tomorrow?

Tomorrow is an off-day. They would just lose the travel day.

BTW, question for all of you. Is this the worst officiated World Series ever? So far every game there have been pivitol bad calls. Game 2 there was the Crawford's bunt, and Rollins HBP. Game 3 was the tag at third in the first innig that was missed. Tonight there have been some questionable ball calls. I'm sure someone will bring up 1985 but that was one call and Cardinals completly self-destructed after that. Overall it's been a tough fall classic for this crew.

Game 6 isn't until Wednesday and it's also being played in Tampa Bay -- so I would say a doubleheader is verrry doubtful. :P

Oh yeah. Slipped my mind.

So yeah, I get it now. I kinda wanna see this game get played in a torrential downpour, in a way that Wesley Snipes and Robert de Niro would love ala The Fan.

BTW, question for all of you. Is this the worst officiated World Series ever? So far every game there have been pivitol bad calls. Game 2 there was the Crawford's bunt, and Rollins HBP. Game 3 was the tag at third in the first innig that was missed. Tonight there have been some questionable ball calls. I'm sure someone will bring up 1985 but that was one call and Cardinals completly self-destructed after that. Overall it's been a tough fall classic for this crew.

There was nothing worse then Don Deckinger in 1985, Orta was out by 5 feet.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Once this becomes official, do you think Major League baseball would ever dream of calling the deciding game of a world series? It looks like it's pouring there.

I was wondering the same thing. Do the playoffs have modified rules or do they follow standard rules? I'd really hate to see this end on a shortened game.

The Phillies are now three quick outs away from making this game official.

I would hate to see a shortened game result in crowing a World Champion, but I suppose that's just another one of MLB's insane rules -- really no way around it. <_<

Actually Curty, there is no shortened game in the postseason I believe, so it must be completed or its Game 5 pt deux tomorrow.

Well, the guys on FOX just said the game was "official" after 5 innings. I dunno what they really mean by that if you're saying all postseason games have to go the full nine.

6uXNWAo.png

Once this becomes official, do you think Major League baseball would ever dream of calling the deciding game of a world series? It looks like it's pouring there.

I was wondering the same thing. Do the playoffs have modified rules or do they follow standard rules? I'd really hate to see this end on a shortened game.

I would hate to see a shortened game result in crowing a World Champion, but I suppose that's just another one of MLB's insane rules -- really no way around it. <_<

Actually Curty, there is no shortened game in the postseason I believe, so it must be completed or its Game 5 pt deux tomorrow.

Well, the guys on FOX just said the game was "official" after 5 innings. I dunno what they really mean by that if you're saying all postseason games have to go the full nine.

They may just be talking about how if the game had been called in the third or fourth inning, the game would be replayed from the first inning tomorrow as opposed to picking up where they left off.

IUe6Hvh.png

Maybe it has changed in the last 10 years but the Yankees played an ALDS game against the Rangers in 1998 or 1999. They had a huge lead, and were clearly going to sweep and they had a 9-0 lead in the 7th inning and they resumed the game at 1Am.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

I would hate to see a shortened game result in crowing a World Champion, but I suppose that's just another one of MLB's insane rules -- really no way around it.

They may just be talking about how if the game had been called in the third or fourth inning, the game would be replayed from the first inning tomorrow as opposed to picking up where they left off.

Could Buck and/or (God help us) McCarver at least explain baseball's postponement rules to us during all these short delays? Seriously. <_<

6uXNWAo.png

Maybe it has changed in the last 10 years but the Yankees played an ALDS game against the Rangers in 1998 or 1999. They had a huge lead, and were clearly going to sweep and they had a 9-0 lead in the 7th inning and they resumed the game at 1Am.

That's different, that's same night stuff. If they have reason to believe it will clear up within' a few hours, they'll resume, I'm sure.

If they don't think the rain will let up, I think they will call the game and award the Phillies the World Series Trophy. It would be very controversial either way, I would think.

IUe6Hvh.png

Game 6 isn't until Wednesday and it's also being played in Tampa Bay -- so I would say a doubleheader is verrry doubtful. :P

Oh yeah. Slipped my mind.

So yeah, I get it now. I kinda wanna see this game get played in a torrential downpour, in a way that Wesley Snipes and Robert de Niro would love ala The Fan.

The end of that movie bothers me so much. Not only would they have called the game, not only was the lighting in the stadium terrible (as it is in most sports movies, apparently), but also the huge video screen where the batters eye should be frustrates me. ^_^

And yeah, I think it would be declared an official game. I really hope it doesn't come to that, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

That's different, that's same night stuff. If they have reason to believe it will clear up within' a few hours, they'll resume, I'm sure.

If they don't think the rain will let up, I think they will call the game and award the Phillies the World Series Trophy. It would be very controversial either way, I would think.

MLB is not calling this game and handing the trophy on a rain shortened game. It would be too controversial and would never be lived down. They will have them play through it or wait all-night if necessary. I can see a lengthy delay but if they didn't post-pone game 3 they sure as well aren't calling off this game and World Series.

EDIT: If the Rays end up tieing the game in this inning they will put the tarp on an possible call the game. Because then at worst it would be resumed tomorrow and not end the series.

Hey, the question is about the worst officiated World Series ever... not the worst call in one game.

Deckinger was dead wrong in 1985 but, how was officiated the rest of the 1985 World Series? Good or bad in an overall?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Yeah, that ending was stupid...hell, the whole movie was stupid. It's one of my favorite terrible movies. :P

But yeah, Upton has to be the fastest man in the history of baseball to steal a base in that condition. It almost looks unplayable out there.

Well, if they really want to, they can play out the rest tomorrow evening, which weather channel right now claims is the earliest it will clear up.

For what it's worth, I say damn the TV money and finish the game out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

MLB is not calling this game and handing the trophy on a rain shortened game. It would be too controversial and would never be lived down. They will have them play through it or wait all-night if necessary. I can see a lengthy delay but if they didn't post-pone game 3 they sure as well aren't calling off this game and World Series.

I didn't mean to suggest I think that that's what they will do... I meant it in that I don't think the rules aren't different for the World Series in that and that I don't think they'd send everybody home and resume play tomorrow.

I think they'll play through it, personally. And I hope they do, this is awesome.

IUe6Hvh.png

Really, this game needs to be suspended or called off or whatever. If it were regular season, the teams would have been sent to the clubhouses an hour ago.

Oh, and now it's 2-2 with Rays players advancing bases due to slippery balls.

6uXNWAo.png

Hey, the question is about the worst officiated World Series ever... not the worst call in one game.

Deckinger was dead wrong in 1985 but, how was officiated the rest of the 1985 World Series? Good or bad in an overall?

The following night Deckinger was behind home plate and in the Cardinals heads, there were ejections left and right and the Cardinals unraveled arguing every close call he made. They lost 10-0.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

The Rays have just scored to tie the game at 2-2 and have given the officials the PERFECT opportunity to suspend this farce and finish it when the weather is better, even if that's tomorrow or the next day.

EDIT: They just took the opportunity to do the right thing coming out of the commerical break. They got so, so lucky that the game is now tied.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived