2008 World Series

Swiss

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Danley shouldn't be allowed near home plate ever again.

...and the Phils offense with RISP sucks. Flat out sucks.

Tampa got their win.....fine. Sweep them back home...

That's what we said... :D

Oh and I'm going to enjoy these short times while Price isn't the next Johan Santana while they're still here. :)

How does an umpire call a guy out on strike three, and then allow the guy to take first base? Seriously, forget the fact that it was clearly a swing, how can an umpire appeal after he makes a call? I agree - the HP umpiring has been a joke (on both sides.) That was probably the most egregious error of them all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Price has definitely been erratic...but it's a rookie pitching in the World Series and not giving up at least a boatload of runs. He's decent, but not great.

This is Price's first full season of pro ball, he was the top pick in the 2007 draft I think he will be fine, and look what he did to Boston in Game 7.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Price has definitely been erratic...but it's a rookie pitching in the World Series and not giving up at least a boatload of runs. He's decent, but not great.

This is Price's first full season of pro ball, he was the top pick in the 2007 draft I think he will be fine, and look what he did to Boston in Game 7.

Yeah, he's deifnitely gonna get better. He has ALOT of potential. He's just not all the way there yet. Kinda reminds me of Matt Ryan (had to do it again...sorry guys.).

How does an umpire call a guy out on strike three, and then allow the guy to take first base? Seriously, forget the fact that it was clearly a swing, how can an umpire appeal after he makes a call? I agree - the HP umpiring has been a joke (on both sides.) That was probably the most egregious error of them all.

I agree that the umpire f***'d up by starting one call and then appealing, but it was not clearly a strike. Every replay showed he stopped with the bat straight. If it was clearly a strike, the first base umpire would've rung him up on the appeal. I thought he held up just in time. That said, the umpire shouldn't have changed his mind after making one call, so yeah, he probably should've been out, but not for swinging. Because that's what the umpire called.

Football officiating (college and pros) has been horrendous this season, and now MLB. What the hell is wrong with officiating in sports this fall?

Another rant. BJ Upton grounded into a double-play in game 1 (I believe he did in his first at bat, but I didn't see that one. I'm referring to later in the game), and could've beaten it out. It went to third and it wasn't a quick dp by any means, yet Upton wasn't even in the same video frame as first base when Howard caught it, and ended up walking across the base instead of running through it, yet, Baldelli, and guy who's missed seasons with a physical problem of the legs, which was even discussed last night about how they start to burn about the 5th or 6th innings and he's learned to deal with it, beats out a potential dp that was hit to short and a lot more quickly turned than the one Upton hit into in game 1. And Upton's would've scored a run, I believe. Or at least gotten a guy to third with 2 out. He's been great this postseason, but they need to get him husseling again. He's gonna end up costing them some important runs later in the series.

I wish I knew David Price was a future star when I met him very briefly back in March... seriously, who goes to a Spring Training game without a Sharpie :(

Our conversation was...

DP: What do you want me to sign?

CC: Eh, I don't have a pen.

DP: Okay. (walks away)

2318160404_d90a7eac31.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I wish I knew David Price was a future star when I met him very briefly back in March... seriously, who goes to a Spring Training game without a Sharpie :(

Our conversation was...

CC: Eh, I don't have a pen.

DP: Okay. (walks away)

2318160404_d90a7eac31.jpg

Conversation should have been:

CC: Go find a pen, then sign the bill of your cap for me, rook!

DP: Okay. (walks away to go find a pen)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Its clearing up here a little. 7pm 20% chance of rain, 8-10pm 10%, and back up to 20% between 10-Midnight. Cant believe this thread has seen no action in a 24 hour span. That lack of Boston-LA series is killing this board's ratings too I guess. Anyway, Id like to take the time to thank Matt Garza for this:

"I've done my early scouting, and I'll tell you what," Garza told NBC this week. "Facing that Phillies lineup compared to facing the Red Sox lineup, the Tigers' lineup or the Yankees' lineup, you get a little bit of a break with the Phillies' lineup."

Someone in that clubhouse needs to sit him down, and tell him in no uncertain terms, to shut the hell up. Thats the dumbest thing that he couldve done.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Bulletin board material is overrated. If you're a pro athelete and it takes someone "disrespecting" you for you to get motivated, you have no business being a pro athlete.

As for the rain, I'm in the NW section of the city, and it was absolutely miserable all day... though it went from a hard downpour with intermittent wind to just a light drizzle about five minutes ago. This could be the little "window" that the weather guys were talking about. It's pretty warm out too (at least compared to the last few days) - around 62.

Well I was just walking to the train station to get down to Center City to watch the game, and the rain picked up to near monsoon levels. I need to be at the Linc tomorrow at 8:00 AM to work at the Eagles game, so I can't risk being out all night to see a rain-delayed game, so I just turned around and walked home. Judging from the TV, the rain looks a little lighter down at the stadium - but I'm not sure if it is moving from south to north, in which case they're probably going to be OK, or from west to east (or N to S), in which case they're :censored:d.

The field drains exceptionally well, so I'd imagine the game will eventually be played, but I can't see it starting on time.

My friend works for the Phila. Inquirer and is doing some TV work for this series - I just saw him on a TV segment getting soaked - he texts me "it was fine until 5 minutes before they went live - then a f'ing downpour."

In a related story, there is still no word on my request for media credientials for this series. He keeps telling me some crap about how you actually need to be, you know, "in the media" to get them. Sounds like BS to me.

It's also getting a little foggy - I can usually see the tops of the skyscrapers from my bedroom, but tonight I can't even see the red "airplane" lights.

Back to back HR's by Utley and Howard have the Phillies up 4-1!

edit: Ooooh... Crawford was out. That's way too tough a call to make in real time, though.

I can give a pass to the ump I guess cause the bare hand eliminates or at least alters the traditional glove/base noises he can judge by, but that is definitely one he has to make under normal circumstances.

Archived