2008 World Series

Swiss

So basically either they finish the game, or it's a mini-doubleheader tomorrow?

Game 6 isn't until Wednesday and it's also being played in Tampa Bay -- so I would say a doubleheader is verrry doubtful. :P

Oh yeah. Slipped my mind.

So yeah, I get it now. I kinda wanna see this game get played in a torrential downpour, in a way that Wesley Snipes and Robert de Niro would love ala The Fan.

The end of that movie bothers me so much. Not only would they have called the game, not only was the lighting in the stadium terrible (as it is in most sports movies, apparently), but also the huge video screen where the batters eye should be frustrates me. ^_^

And yeah, I think it would be declared an official game. I really hope it doesn't come to that, though.

The game doesn't get called at the end because Robert De Niro is the home plate umpire.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Rays have just scored to tie the game at 2-2 and have given the officials the PERFECT opportunity to suspend this farce and finish it when the weather is better, even if that's tomorrow or the next day.

And they have. Phillies fans will probably feel screwed by the tarp's late arrival.

The World Series would have ended and Philly would be champs had the game ended due to rain before the Rays tied it.

6uXNWAo.png

So basically either they finish the game, or it's a mini-doubleheader tomorrow?

Tomorrow is an off-day. They would just lose the travel day.

BTW, question for all of you. Is this the worst officiated World Series ever? So far every game there have been pivitol bad calls. Game 2 there was the Crawford's bunt, and Rollins HBP. Game 3 was the tag at third in the first innig that was missed. Tonight there have been some questionable ball calls. I'm sure someone will bring up 1985 but that was one call and Cardinals completly self-destructed after that. Overall it's been a tough fall classic for this crew.

There was nothing worse then Don Deckinger in 1985, Orta was out by 5 feet.

Hey, the question is about the worst officiated World Series ever... not the worst call in one game.

Deckinger was dead wrong in 1985 but, how was officiated the rest of the 1985 World Series? Good or bad in an overall?

The following night Deckinger was behind home plate and in the Cardinals heads, there were ejections left and right and the Cardinals unraveled arguing every close call he made. They lost 10-0.

That's the Cardinals fault though. I never heard a legitimate complaint about how Deckinger umped that game 7.

And here is another point people forget about that call, it would have only been the 1st out of the inning. A lot of people act like there was 2 outs and the inning and game would have ended. That's not the case. In fact, the Cardinals had other opprtunities for outs (including a dropped pop up) and blew it.

BTW, I called it, tarp is on the field now that it is a tie-game. BTW, Bob dupey is lying when he says the tarp would have gone on if it wasn't tied. He has to say it but anyone who watched baseball knows this is how the decision to put the tarp on is usually made.

Great job, baseball. The field was unplayable last inning, and you couldn't have called it? Unbelieveable.

Baseball was in a no-win situation. They couldn't have put the tarp on before last inning and risk the series ending on a rain shortened game. They had to wait try to hold out to see if the game would get tied. That actually happens all the time in these type situations during the season. It's just it is more magnified and the stakes are higher. I remember a Yankees-Orioles game in April where the umps waited for the inning to end before putting the tarp on and both managers were yelling at the ump.

Baseball did the right thing. You might not like it as a Philly fan but they did the right thing.

Great job, baseball. The field was unplayable last inning, and you couldn't have called it? Unbelieveable.

Baseball was in a no-win situation. They couldn't have put the tarp on before last inning and risk the series ending on a rain shortened game. They had to wait try to hold out to see if the game would get tied. That actually happens all the time in these type situations during the season. It's just it is more magnified and the stakes are higher. I remember a Yankees-Orioles game in April where the umps waited for the inning to end before putting the tarp on and both managers were yelling at the ump.

Baseball did the right thing. You might not like it as a Philly fan but they did the right thing.

But should they have done it before the inning? If they're willing to stop the game and have it resumed tomorrow, surely they shouldn't have made the teams play in the conditions that they had to for that final half inning, right?

edit: Or no, because it wasn't tied?

IUe6Hvh.png

But should they have done it before the inning? If they're willing to stop the game and have it resumed tomorrow, surely they shouldn't have made the teams play in the conditions that they had to for that final half inning, right?

edit: Or no, because it wasn't tied?

It would not have concluded if they put the tarp on before the inning. Like I said baseball was trying to hold out as long as they could before putting the tarp on while the game wasn't tied because they knew it probably would have ended the game. Once the Rays tied the game the saw the perfect opprotunity to put the tarp on because t won't potenitally end the game. Had the Rays not scored that halfinning (or would have taken the lead) they would still be playing on the bad field. Theoritically, your right if they were willing to put it on at the half inning break they should have been willing to ut it on before the inning. However, pratically if they would have put it on and the game (and series) ended it would have been a disaster for baseball.

While I don't know any official rulings, suspending it at the end of an inning seems a lot more reasonable than in the middle of one. Score should not be considered, imo.

I agree.

It's like... oop! It's tied! Let's stop it now!

I mean, they let the Phillies play defense in bad weather, they should let the Rays handle the same conditions.

philly.png

While I don't know any official rulings, suspending it at the end of an inning seems a lot more reasonable than in the middle of one. Score should not be considered, imo.

I agree.

I mean, they let the Phillies play defense in bad weather, they should let the Rays handle the same conditions.

I know it muct be really though as a Phillies fan, but MLB was in a bad situation there. If they called it like they probably would have in a regular season game, then they likely don't go back out there tonight and the Phillies get the trophy after a game that ended in the 6th inning.

The other option which they chose (and were right in doing so in my opinion as an unbiased baseball fan) was to keep playing and either hope the rain lets up or hope the Rays tie it. If the Rays didn't tie it in the 6th, I think they would have kept playing. But they got lucky that the Rays tied it when they did.

Just think about how controversial it would be if a team won the World Series in a shortened game. MLB made the best out of a bad situation.

EDIT- Seeing what Selig said about a rain delay possibly over an hour, if that was the backup plan they should have executed it while the Rays were still at bat. That run the Rays scored was in terrible weather that helped the Rays get it across.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I agree.

I know it muct be really though as a Phillies fan, but MLB was in a bad situation there. If they called it like they probably would have in a regular season game, then they likely don't go back out there tonight and the Phillies get the trophy after a game that ended in the 6th inning.

The other option which they chose (and were right in doing so in my opinion as an unbiased baseball fan) was to keep playing and either hope the rain lets up or hope the Rays tie it. If the Rays didn't tie it in the 6th, I think they would have kept playing. But they got lucky that the Rays tied it when they did.

Just think about how controversial it would be if a team won the World Series in a shortened game. MLB made the best out of a bad situation.

Although, as I noted before, Bud basically just said he would have forced everyone to stay in the ballpark, even for a day or 2 in a rain delay.

Archived