Group Project: NFL Reserve Division

fishheatcats

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've had a lot of homework in the past few days, and more homework means more time devoted to procrastination, and more time procrastinating means I've spent more time on this concept, and that means I've finished way ahead of when I expected to.

Without further ado, I present the New York Giants affiliate, the Albany Apes.

I chose the name Apes because I wanted something that relates to the Giants on some level. The name I originally liked was the Titans, but I couldn't use that for obvious reasons. Then I thought of the image of King Kong in New York and how iconic that is, and King Kong of course is a GIANT ape. Then after looking at pictures of some apes (mostly gorillas), I noticed the clear relationship in imagery between a huge gorilla on all fours and a 300-lb linemen in his stance. The logo I imagined was kind of a gorilla version of the old Pats logo. I found a good example online (it was for a t-shirt company), and just went from there.

ApesLogoSheet.png

The jerseys are simple, like the Giants jerseys, and use very similar colors. I also drew inspiration from their helmet when developing mine. I also included a small "ny" logo below the collar to connect back to the parent club.

ApesHomeSet.png

ApesRoadSet.png

After posting these and viewing them, the blue looks a lot lighter than it did in illustrator and I don't know why. Imagine the whole set with a slightly darker and truer "royal" blue. After I get some c+c I'll fix the color and re-post these.

great logo. i would attach the bottom of the right side "A" make it symmetrical. Also i would think silver would be a great color as in "silverbacks"

I thought about silver actually, but I couldn't find a good way to incorporate it into the logo and as a result I didn't want to just throw it into the jerseys. Maybe I'll take another look at that. Silverbacks would be a pretty cool nickname for the team (like the G-Men or something). As far as the bar on the bottom of the 'A', I wanted it asymmetrical. It is supposed to look a little like the tail on the 'y' in the 'ny' logo or the bar that is below the Giants wordmark. On the helmets it looks like a motion line going front to back.

That is the reasoning behind the logo.

Love the name Apes. Brings a couple images to ones mind. Uniforms are what you expect for a minor league team, very close to the originals. (Nothing wrong with that.) One thing that's REALLY bothering me though, is the blue ape on the blue helmet. Have you tried white helmets?

20082614530.png

1 more tiny thing. when i see the "ape" logo i think "wow the ny giants have a new logo" because the ape has the "NY" on it. put the "AA" on it instead

i think the white helmet with the red :"AA" and the blue ape head

Well, here's mine the Columbus Browns (I know, I'm creative :P ):

Logos and Helmet:

ColumbusBrownsLogoSheet.png

Jerseys:

ColumbusBrownsJerseysSheet.png

Pants:

ColumbusBrownsPantsSheet.png

C&C Please

Someone mentioned using the Bulldog as a primary and switching the nickname, and I think you could take it a step further by having the team in Canton to pay some homage to the team they used to have of the same name.

Thanks for the comments guys (few as they were). I guess the blue logo/blue helmet comment didn't get a great response. Here are two other options, a red helmet and a white one. Let me know what you think:

HelmetOptions.png

Personally, I still think I like the blue helmet more, but if the logo gets lost in it as y'all said than I obviously can't use it. My second choice is the white one I guess (it looks really good with the away set), but I think with a white helmet and white pants the home set just lacks color. But maybe not. I've been looking at this too much to be a good judge myself.

Any other thoughts on the 'ny' in the primary logo? I did it because ny can stand for the state of New York as well, and it lets everyone know that this is a Giants affiliate (many other teams here are just recycling old logos as the whole look anyway), and lastly the logo appears on the jersey and the gorilla is wearing a jersey so I wanted to keep there. Anyone else think I should change it?

IN MY OPINION THE BEST MINOR LEAGUE (BASEBALL) TEAMS HAVE THEIR OWN IDENTITIES

MOST DO OTHER THAN THE BRAVES FARM CLUBS

Dude, seriously, it's right next to the 'A' button. How hard is it to push it once?

I know it's been addressed, but here goes.

capslockfw8.jpg

Avsman.png

Dennis.gif

Have you ever looked at sports logos...ON WEED?

Dude, seriously, it's right next to the 'A' button. How hard is it to push it once?

capslockfw8.jpg

That pic has been posted numerous times with him, probably so in this very thread. Plus, he has since turned off the caps lock (though he now only uses lower case, but it's a start.)

Check before resplying to an old post with a smartalic response, please.

capslockfw8.jpg

That pic has been posted numerous times with him, probably so in this very thread. Plus, he has since turned off the caps lock (though he now only uses lower case, but it's a start.)

Sorry. I was reading through the posts and there didn't seem to be any end in sight. Once I saw that he turned off the CAPSLOCK, it was too late. I apologize. I thought I should wait, but just couldn't.

Also, its reply, not resply. And smart aleck, not smartalic.

Avsman.png

Dennis.gif

Have you ever looked at sports logos...ON WEED?

So I have been working on my concept some more and I've come to some conclusions. Here is my update and you tell me if it was for the better.

SJ-Gold-Rush-3.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...Gold-Rush-3.png

I decided to get rid of the oval in the logo all together and I lost the color black in the concept as well. I also came up with some other idea/options for the logos and uniforms. Let me know if you like any of the others better.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...primary-3-7.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...ordmark-2-7.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...-helmet-2-4.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...ts--socks-2.png

I will try to add some action shots later on. Is there going to be a cut off time put into effect anytime soon? It does seem to be going on for a long while now. Just thought I would ask. It has been nice to go over the concept and make changes with out being in a "rush". Ha! Sorry for the pun. Didn't see that until I wrote it.

Anyways, great job on all the concepts so far.

Sorry. I was reading through the posts and there didn't seem to be any end in sight. Once I saw that he turned off the CAPSLOCK, it was too late. I apologize. I thought I should wait, but just couldn't.

Also, its reply, not resply. And smart aleck, not smartalic.

It would be great if these threads were full of concepts and accompanying comments and criticism. I posted a concept 2 days ago and a subsequent update and have received a grand total of 3 comments from 2 people. Meanwhile we have 20+ pages of comments on someones use of capitals. WTF is this forum for? I'd appreciate some C+C and don't care what case it comes in. This is ridiculous.

Thanks for the comments guys (few as they were). I guess the blue logo/blue helmet comment didn't get a great response. Here are two other options, a red helmet and a white one. Let me know what you think:

HelmetOptions.png

Personally, I still think I like the blue helmet more, but if the logo gets lost in it as y'all said than I obviously can't use it. My second choice is the white one I guess (it looks really good with the away set), but I think with a white helmet and white pants the home set just lacks color. But maybe not. I've been looking at this too much to be a good judge myself.

Any other thoughts on the 'ny' in the primary logo? I did it because ny can stand for the state of New York as well, and it lets everyone know that this is a Giants affiliate (many other teams here are just recycling old logos as the whole look anyway), and lastly the logo appears on the jersey and the gorilla is wearing a jersey so I wanted to keep there. Anyone else think I should change it?

The blue helmet is definitly the best. And I like the "NY" on the logo and uni's. But i think you should darken the blue just a tad. It's to light for my tastes. Great job Stuckey.

jNTsTyQ.png

So I have been working on my concept some more and I've come to some conclusions. Here is my update and you tell me if it was for the better.

SJ-Gold-Rush-3.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...Gold-Rush-3.png

I decided to get rid of the oval in the logo all together and I lost the color black in the concept as well. I also came up with some other idea/options for the logos and uniforms. Let me know if you like any of the others better.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...primary-3-7.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...ordmark-2-7.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...-helmet-2-4.png

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k358/dc...ts--socks-2.png

I will try to add some action shots later on. Is there going to be a cut off time put into effect anytime soon? It does seem to be going on for a long while now. Just thought I would ask. It has been nice to go over the concept and make changes with out being in a "rush". Ha! Sorry for the pun. Didn't see that until I wrote it.

Anyways, great job on all the concepts so far.

I love the subtraction of the oval and the color black. A good upgrade.

jNTsTyQ.png

It would be great if these threads were full of concepts and accompanying comments and criticism. I posted a concept 2 days ago and a subsequent update and have received a grand total of 3 comments from 2 people. Meanwhile we have 20+ pages of comments on someones use of capitals. WTF is this forum for? I'd appreciate some C+C and don't care what case it comes in. This is ridiculous.

you should check out the Sports in General threads if you think this one is bad... <_<

about your concept : the ape head in your secondary logo seems forced in there. I'm a mediocre artist at best, so I have no idea how to fix that, or even if you should, but maybe joining the one A to the other would fix that. also, i'm not feeling the line that wraps around the back on the legs of the pants. i love the primary logo and the woodmark fits it perfectly. of the three helmets, I'd go with the white, but if you're gonna add silver maybe you could try that. I haven't seen too many silver helmets here yet. worth a try maybe?

Archived