New IIHF Jerseys in action

beesharps

I know the Spengler Cup isn't IIHF, but here is Canada's ad plastered jerseys from that tournament. They appear to be the same template as the Canada ones now.

spengler_60258.jpg

For some reason they wear the old Hockey Canada logo, which was dumped after the 1994 Worlds, for the Spengler Cup only.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the Spengler Cup isn't IIHF, but here is Canada's ad plastered jerseys from that tournament. They appear to be the same template as the Canada ones now.

spengler_60258.jpg

For some reason they wear the old Hockey Canada logo, which was dumped after the 1994 Worlds, for the Spengler Cup only.

I wonder why they chose to cram the number onto the front of the jersey like that when they didn't need to.

As for the World Junior jerseys, I like them as a whole a lot more than the last batch of nearly identical templates, the over reliance on vertical stripes, sleeve "stripes" that started, and for some bizarre reason, stopped mid-arm, and those stupid, unexplainable zebra stripes on the sides.

This batch has way more individuality in comparison, the return of horizontal striping, yet with a few common elements like the sleeve number placement that ties the set together without making it all seem cookie-cutter. It's not a return to the exciting world of the 2005 World Championships, but it's a lot better than the low point of Torino 2006.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

spengler_60258.jpg

I wonder why they chose to cram the number onto the front of the jersey like that when they didn't need to.

As for the World Junior jerseys, I like them as a whole a lot more than the last batch of nearly identical templates, the over reliance on vertical stripes, sleeve "stripes" that started, and for some bizarre reason, stopped mid-arm, and those stupid, unexplainable zebra stripes on the sides.

This batch has way more individuality in comparison, the return of horizontal striping, yet with a few common elements like the sleeve number placement that ties the set together without making it all seem cookie-cutter. It's not a return to the exciting world of the 2005 World Championships, but it's a lot better than the low point of Torino 2006.

I actually like the old ones better.

I can't get into these new jerseys at all, I miss the black in the jersey alot.

I know only a few people feel like this though, haha.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Behold the first shots of Kazakhstan's new jerseys. Borat's home nation has always had my favourite international uniforms, and these are no different. Notice the flag emblem on the socks! :

http://www.iihf.com/channels0809/wm20/pict...%20-%20GER.html

Whuh-whuh-wi-wuh! Very niiice!

I'm excited to see this 5'4" player they have!! Keep an eye out for #11!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Behold the first shots of Kazakhstan's new jerseys. Borat's home nation has always had my favourite international uniforms, and these are no different. Notice the flag emblem on the socks! :

Theo "rat bastard" Fleury??

Theo "rat bastard" Fleury??

You mean Theo "drunk at 10 am" Fleury? ^_^

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I can't stand the white Canada jerseys. They look like some cheap imitation you could buy at K-Mart. The red ones look nice, though, especially when they're beating some hapless former Soviet republic 15-0.

The American jerseys are really nice.

I can't stand the white Canada jerseys. They look like some cheap imitation you could buy at K-Mart. The red ones look nice, though, especially when they're beating some hapless former Soviet republic 15-0.

The American jerseys are really nice.

You do know that Kazakhstan has once beaten Canada at the World Juniors right? I believe it was 6-3. It was mentioned on TSN when Canada was playing Germany when they were talking about how a lot of nations want the IIHF to make the U20's a 8 nation tournament instead of a 10 team one.

A while back, I contacted Hockey Canada about this, and the response I got was that it was due to the Spengler Cup's sponsorship advertising on the uniforms. Companies like Esso, Nike, RBC, Telus, etc. pay a lot of sponsorship money in order to be associated with Hockey Canada and it's brand, while the Spengler Cup sponsors obviously don't. Hockey Canada honours and protects it's relationship with it's corporate supporters by using a different logo at the Spengler Cup.

Probably because there are no sleeve numbers, with sponsorship patches in their normal place.

A while back, I contacted Hockey Canada about this, and the response I got was that it was due to the Spengler Cup's sponsorship advertising on the uniforms. Companies like Esso, Nike, RBC, Telus, etc. pay a lot of sponsorship money in order to be associated with Hockey Canada and it's brand, while the Spengler Cup sponsors obviously don't. Hockey Canada honours and protects it's relationship with it's corporate supporters by using a different logo at the Spengler Cup.

For the record, I prefer the old logo. After searching for a long time, I managed to get my hands on a Tackla jersey from around 1992 and a slightly older one from the last time the WJC was in Ottawa.

Visit Blogging the Bracket, SBNation's Bracketology and College Hoops Rambling site and Follow me on Twitter

Reasonable minds can differ, but I'm right. - Jay Bilas

Is it me or do the numbers for Russia look like the Canucks numbers and the Czech Republic numbers look like the Thrashers numbers?

Im not sure about the Russians, but the U.S.A uses agency fb like the Canucks do, and you are right about the Czechs

Very interesting, was always curious about this and wondered what it was all about.

Thanks for sharing.

IMO Finland had the nicest jerseys of the tourney:

finland_IIHF_2008_jersey.jpg

This in Canadian red and white would have been the perfect jersey for Canada.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

If Canada kept a waist wordmark included, I don't know if it would be perfect, or even nice. The word Canada would be spelled a total of 4 times on the jersey. ^_^

If Canada kept a waist wordmark included, I don't know if it would be perfect, or even nice. The word Canada would be spelled a total of 4 times on the jersey. ^_^

Wait ... does SUOMI mean Finland?

I always thought it was a brand?

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Wait ... does SUOMI mean Finland?

I always thought it was a brand?

You nailed it!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Archived