SB XLIV logo

buckeyecal

I haven't read all 7 pages of the thread, but I don't like how the last few Super Bowl logos don't have the host city name.

They never did

There are always two versions of the Super Bowl logo; the ones with the host date, and the ones without.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't read all 7 pages of the thread, but I don't like how the last few Super Bowl logos don't have the host city name.

They never did

There are always two versions of the Super Bowl logo; the ones with the host date, and the ones without.

All of the Super Bowl logos on this site that are listed as the primary logo have the site on them, except last years, this years, and next years.

It looks like the font is a wider version of the fonts the NFL had been using on their site (not so much anymore), but it can be seen in the Playoff logos and such.

I guess it's kinda similar to Achean, but not quite.

6510.gif

I really, really like this Super Bowl logo so far, probably my favorite since XXXIX

EDIT: By the way, whoever said it was the font used in the SB XL logo, it looks like you're right

mimeefyh11lc05r1agke.gif

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I did happen to see that Super Bowl 44 logo on Wikipedia the other day and to be honest I don't really like it. My favorite logo in the last 5 Super Bowls (43 included) would have to be Super Bowl 41 (XLI). The colors are perfect given they are practically the same color as the host team Miami Dolphins. Last year's Super Bowl (42) wasn't too bad, the color of the state of Arizona wasn't too far off from the base color of the Arizona Cardinals home uniforms. Next year's logo, however, has that kind of screaming feel to it. It's basically saying "RAHHHH!! FEAR ME!!! I'M THE LOGO FOR SUPER BOWL 44" because of how big the XLIV is, as well as the red on black (it could be orange but it is probably either my eyesight or monitor resolution that shows it as red).

That being said, I'm glad I'm a part of the sports logo forums.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but I did happen to see that Super Bowl 44 logo on Wikipedia the other day and to be honest I don't really like it. My favorite logo in the last 5 Super Bowls (43 included) would have to be Super Bowl 41 (XLI). The colors are perfect given they are practically the same color as the host team Miami Dolphins. Last year's Super Bowl (42) wasn't too bad, the color of the state of Arizona wasn't too far off from the base color of the Arizona Cardinals home uniforms. Next year's logo, however, has that kind of screaming feel to it. It's basically saying "RAHHHH!! FEAR ME!!! I'M THE LOGO FOR SUPER BOWL 44" because of how big the XLIV is, as well as the red on black (it could be orange but it is probably either my eyesight or monitor resolution that shows it as red).

Welcome.

On a side note, I think a lot of people are losing sight of why perhaps the logos nowadays don't resemble those of yesteryear. Patches. These are going on the jerseys every year now. They need something bold and simple, not intricate. I think that is a big reason the logos look the way they do.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Welcome.

On a side note, I think a lot of people are losing sight of why perhaps the logos nowadays don't resemble those of yesteryear. Patches. These are going on the jerseys every year now. They need something bold and simple, not intricate. I think that is a big reason the logos look the way they do.

Great point. I still don't excuse it though. SBs XXXII, XXXV and others had game day patches that far exceed the present five logos (obviously including XLIV). Simplicity is one thing, being a monolithic corporate bore is another.

Welcome HP.

newsig.jpg

Thanks for the welcome.

Like I mentioned in my initial post, I think the league should do whatever they can to make the logo colors very similar to the host team (if the host city has a team; 2007 NBA All-Star game in Las Vegas that has no pro team comes to mind here). 41 and 42 like I said were very good. 43 is ehh in my opinion. I'd like to see XLV have Cowboys-related colors, and XLVI have Colts-related colors/logos. It's not that hard to design a Super Bowl Logo.

Just a few comments on posts a few pages back before I became a forum poster:

Slickster - Ford Field in Detroit isn't entirely a closed stadium, Super Bowl XL was played there only 3 years ago

IronChefShark - Super Bowl XLIX is tentatively scheduled to be played in Kansas City, MO, if the city can get enough funding to renovate Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium (KC Royals)

Thanks for the welcome.

Like I mentioned in my initial post, I think the league should do whatever they can to make the logo colors very similar to the host team (if the host city has a team; 2007 NBA All-Star game in Las Vegas that has no pro team comes to mind here). 41 and 42 like I said were very good. 43 is ehh in my opinion. I'd like to see XLV have Cowboys-related colors, and XLVI have Colts-related colors/logos. It's not that hard to design a Super Bowl Logo.

The team-motif (pirate theme) idea has been used in Tampa for SB XXXV:

2347.gif

The NFL's basic parameters for a Super Bowl host city (at least, as of 2003) were:

- Stadium capable of holding 70,000 capacity.

- Stadium must be in an NFL city market (i.e., no Los Angeles area because there's no franchise there).

- City has a minimum of 30,000 hotel rooms within a 30-mile radius of the playing site.

- City has an average January temperature of at least 50 degrees, with no recent history of snow (whatever "recent history" means).

Of course, exceptions are made (Detroit and Indianapolis come to mind). My guess is that there are further stadium-specific parameters that aren't public that eliminate some older facilities, and the temp requirement eliminates Charlotte in all probability. You also won't see the Louisiana Superdome hosting a Super Bowl anytime soon thanks to Katrina, despite the work that was done on it.

So what is wrong with the Superdome? I know the storm did a lot to the venue, but how is it not Super Bowl caliber?

Here's a hunch: Nothing severely wrong with the Superdome; Does New Orleans have the 30,000+ rooms available for such an event or are there still X amount of people displaced from Katrina/Rita?

Bingo. Even for the next few years, a New Orleans Super Bowl would be a drag on the town.

Miami, Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Arizona, Indianapolis and Atlanta will be the rotation for a while, just as Miami, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Pasadena and Houston were back in the early days. After Miami's next turn though, a city might be lucky to get it once a decade. XLI proved that the world wouldn't come to an end if the game was played in "weather," so maybe some cities that otherwise wouldn't be among the chosen are in the running in the future.

Sorry to diverge from the discussion of the logo itself, but I just saw this thread...

What, are you kidding me? A Super Bowl being a drag on the town? This is a city where tourism is the second-leading industry. Tourism is the lifeblood of our economy-- I guess the NBA was worried about the All-Star Game being a 'drag on the town' when they awarded to us for last season, and why the 2012 Final Four was awarded to us. No t to mention the 2008 BCS National Championship Game, and the last three Sugar Bowls.

30,000+ hotel rooms? Geez, we have MUCH more than that now in Orleans Parish alone, even without the Hyatt re-opening (which will occur before the 2012 Final Four, of course)...

Heck, we get more people in town for Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest every year than we do for a Super Bowl....

The only thing that's missing for future Super Bowls to be awarded to New Orleans is a long-term lease for the Saints. And that's on its way...

State close to Saints deal and Super Bowl bid

Good on the city of New Orleans on their recovery.

New Orleans had been out of the Super Bowl rotation before Katrina (last SB was in Jan. 2002), and that was because of the uncertainty of whether the Saints would be around. The NFL and the Saints were trying to strong-arm the city and the state to build a new stadium before the storm.

So to say Katrina is the reason for the Saints being out of the SB rotation for lack of hotel rooms, etc. is only partly true. But it appears now that the NFL would be satisfied with the Saints getting some certainty in N.O. a few years out and that a new stadium isn't a caveat for getting the SB.

I like the XLIV logo. At first I really didn't care for it. The more I stare at the cleaned up version... the more I like it. I like the Illusion of depth and dimension, yet only 3 colors are used.

By the way: Ford Field IS completely enclosed and Climate controlled. They have large windows that allow nutural light inside. Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy has a large retractable roof segment and retractable wall at each end. Not sure if it is climate controlled though.

Kauffman is currently undergoing renovations. Arrowhead will be soon or it has started alredy. Although, the new plans do NOT call for a roof on Arrowhead.

I like the XLIV logo. At first I really didn't care for it. The more I stare at the cleaned up version... the more I like it. I like the Illusion of depth and dimension, yet only 3 colors are used.

By the way: Ford Field IS completely enclosed and Climate controlled. They have large windows that allow nutural light inside. Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy has a large retractable roof segment and retractable wall at each end. Not sure if it is climate controlled though.

Kauffman is currently undergoing renovations. Arrowhead will be soon or it has started alredy. Although, the new plans do NOT call for a roof on Arrowhead.

This.

They wanted to put a sliding roof that could be used for Kauffman and Arrowhead, but the plans weren't approved. Kansas City WILL NOT be getting a Super Bowl.

They will however be getting the All-Star Game within 5 years, but that's for another thread.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I like the new logo for next year. A good point was made a few posts up. Most people don't like the new logos coming out because they don't look like the ones from 10-15 years ago. But they have to make these things into patches for the jersey. Not all logos convert well into patches. So while I still think some of the logos are not all that great, with XLIV they are taking a step in the right direction. Would be nice if they could use some different colors though.

On a side note, welcome to CCSLC HP

Decent logo, better than a lot lately. Probably frustrating for the logo designer who probably had a more intriguing design aspects that were sacrificed for this toned-down version.

Not that anyone should expect a palm tree or water just because the game is in Miami (or "South Florida" as the committee will call it), but perhaps something just a little recognizable to say that's Miami. The art deco logo (XXXIII) was a great example of this, even though it kind of looks "90s." Thought I'd never say that.

I think a lot of the logos throughout sport in the mid-late 90s were inspired and influenced by cartoons and I can see how the XXXIII logo follows this trait.

Now having the art deco used already, certainly another Miami theme could have been entwined.

Oh but they did! The XLIV duplo logo represents the vast emptiness of the beautiful orange seats during a weekday Marlins game at this wonderful gargantuan stadium.

This.

They wanted to put a sliding roof that could be used for Kauffman and Arrowhead, but the plans weren't approved. Kansas City WILL NOT be getting a Super Bowl.

They will however be getting the All-Star Game within 5 years, but that's for another thread.

Correct, as you know on Ford Field. It is totally enclosed. Kaufman is already aluded to with other threads and they will have more beer/liquor stands. As for Kansas City, Arrowhead will not have a roof, but from Fieldofschemes.com, the Chiefs got additional money:

The Missouri Development Finance Board unanimously approved $25 million in state tax credits Tuesday for what is expected to be a $50 million project to build a new indoor training facility at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph, improve Arrowhead Stadium and make infrastructure upgrades at the Truman Sports Complex.

The Kansas City Star adds: "Unlike many projects receiving tax credits, all the work done on this one will benefit publicly owned facilities: The sports complex is owned by Jackson County, while the training center will be the property of Missouri Western." Yet another example of journalists not understanding that you don't benefit from owning a stadium, you benefit from controlling its revenues.

The improvements to be completed by August 2010 include:

-$15.5 million to expand the scope of Arrowhead's upper deck, widening it far beyond originally planned with additional concession stands and more public gathering places.

-$4.77 million to increase from eight to 18 the number of elevators for people with disabilities.

-$4.19 million to expand the Hall of Honor.

The other common-area improvements presented Tuesday included $6.2 million for parking lot and road repairs; $7.3 million in concrete coatings; and nearly $400,000 to improve drainage on ramps.

Spain described the expenses as unanticipated ones discovered after the original scope of the project had been set.

Not sure how you "discover" the need for more concession stands, but there you go. The Chiefs will be kicking in $50 million of their own money toward the new expenses, so when Missouri taxpayers admire the new concrete coatings at Arrowhead Stadium, they can rest easy that only one-third of it is made up of their money.

Archived