2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

Did not see that coming, especially against the Angels.

I'm officially pulling for a LAA-LAD world series.

As a baseball fan that would be the most attractive matchup, but as an eastern time zone dweller I would hate it

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire Boston Red Sox roster needs to schedule some appointments with a good cardiologist, because they had no heart this entire series. They played like it was some throw away series at the end of September. However, I shouldn't feel that bad. They made the playoffs and have won two World Series titles in the last six playoff series.

Nice comeback by the Angels. That's the beauty of baseball. I wish them luck the rest of the way and hope they can bring the World Series championship back to the AL!

Now, it's Bruins/Patriots time!

Really good sportsmanship Brass, not many fans know how to take losses, especially when dealing with consistently good teams. Don't know if a Yankees fan would have said that :) (kidding).

Especially as a Boston fan, I try to make up for the fans who are trying to find an excuse for the Sox losing. :wacko:

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The entire Boston Red Sox roster needs to schedule some appointments with a good cardiologist, because they had no heart this entire series. They played like it was some throw away series at the end of September. However, I shouldn't feel that bad. They made the playoffs and have won two World Series titles in the last six playoff series.

Nice comeback by the Angels. That's the beauty of baseball. I wish them luck the rest of the way and hope they can bring the World Series championship back to the AL!

Now, it's Bruins/Patriots time!

Really good sportsmanship Brass, not many fans know how to take losses, especially when dealing with consistently good teams. Don't know if a Yankees fan would have said that :) (kidding).

Especially as a Boston fan, I try to make up for the fans who are trying to find an excuse for the Sox losing. :wacko:

I am still shocked at how un-Red Sox like the Red Sox were in this series. They played like a team that had no interest in playing October baseball. Strange.

I really thought the Angels could win that series but I would have never guessed they'd do it as easily as they did. Papelbon blows a two run lead...at home...in a playoff game? WTF? Maybe the success of '04 and '07 has made The Red Sox less hungry or something. All I know is that The Boston team I saw in those three games was about as lifeless as Pirates-Mets game in late September.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I am still shocked at how un-Red Sox like the Red Sox were in this series. They played like a team that had no interest in playing October baseball. Strange.

I really thought the Angels could win that series but I would have never guessed they'd do it as easily as they did. Papelbon blows a two run lead...at home...in a playoff game? WTF? Maybe the success of '04 and '07 has made The Red Sox less hungry or something. All I know is that The Boston team I saw in those three games was about as lifeless as Pirates-Mets game in late September.

I'd say your thoughts are right on. They treated all three of these games with an "Oh well, there's still tomorrow" attitude. There was just little to no emotion and above all else, the Boston Red Sox did not deserve to win that series. Like I said before, good luck to the Angels the rest of the way. Seems like they have an emotional sparkplug in Torii Hunter, and take it from someone that witnessed Kevin Millar for an entire season - that type of players helps big time come October!

Speaking of Papelbon, I have a feeling that was the last time we'll see him in a Red Sox uniform. He's entering the final year of a deal and has made it clear on numerous occasions that he doesn't care what city he's playing in, as long as he "sets the bar for what closers receive". The city of Boston isn't big enough for his ego anymore and I say good riddance.

what the hell is ccslc?

I'd say your thoughts are right on. They treated all three of these games with an "Oh well, there's still tomorrow" attitude. There was just little to no emotion and above all else, the Boston Red Sox did not deserve to win that series. Like I said before, good luck to the Angels the rest of the way. Seems like they have an emotional sparkplug in Torii Hunter, and take it from someone that witnessed Kevin Millar for an entire season - that type of players helps big time come October!

Speaking of Papelbon, I have a feeling that was the last time we'll see him in a Red Sox uniform. He's entering the final year of a deal and has made it clear on numerous occasions that he doesn't care what city he's playing in, as long as he "sets the bar for what closers receive". The city of Boston isn't big enough for his ego anymore and I say good riddance.

He does not have enough service time to be a free agent.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm glad to hear that about Papelbon from a Sox fan. It made my day to see his stupid angry gorilla face turn into a sad face today. On another note, I feel stupid for criticizing the re-signing of Erick Aybar this year, rather than letting Brandon Wood play in the bigs all year. Aybar's been clutch lately, and he's a huge reason the Angels won the series against Boston.

He does not have enough service time to be a free agent.

I'm talking a trade, possibly. Though he hasn't played a tremendous amount in the bigs, I still feel confident if tomorrow I was told Daniel Bard was the new Red Sox closer.

And Shum, I've never really been a fan of Papelbon. That stupid fist pump he does after he records an out, mixed with his endless supply of show-boating just doesn't sit right with me.

what the hell is ccslc?

And Shum, I've never really been a fan of Papelbon. That stupid fist pump he does after he records an out, mixed with his endless supply of show-boating just doesn't sit right with me.

Papelbon sure knows how to pose for the cameras. I think that whole glove to the face, slow move to the stretch, turns and lowers head then stares menacingly at the hitter bit is all for TV. He knows Fox and ESPN eat that :censored: up. He's probably imagining McCarver and Buck getting all worked up over his "intensity."

I know this sounds crazy but I've always believed closers are pretty easily replaced. And I'd never drop a ton of money on one in free agency. They're rarely as good when they switch teams for some reason.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I know this sounds crazy but I've always believed closers are pretty easily replaced. And I'd never drop a ton of money on one in free agency. They're rarely as good when they switch teams for some reason.

See: Francisco Rodriguez

VmWIn6B.png

R.I.P. Baggy Dome :(

Not to worry, they still have Fav... er... the Vikings. I'm disappointed in the Twins baserunning, but I'm more disappointed in Craig Sager's wardrobe

While that might be true, it hurts to know that the legendary navy blue outfield baggy with the massive Dodge Ram ad will never be stapled over the pushed-back Metrodome bleachers again.

6uXNWAo.png

I hastly had the remark this afternoon which included denumbering my Pap jersey, but decided against it, and as this day's gone by, I've found myself running from the insanity I told my girlfriend right after the final out: "So much for that, a wasted summer of baseball"....

I think i've been wearing the same beer goggles many many many fans in "RSN" have been wearing, where we've gotten accustomed to winning it all, or coming freaking last inning close. Tonight i've gotten around to being thankful for another great year of Baseball I got to watch, and even though I felt like we coul dhave taken another trophy, best of luck to the Angels, in bringing down the Empire on the ALCS. Would be kind of nice to see an all LA WS, but I wish no success in Manny "Lady Pills" Wood, but it may be nice for baseball. Anything but the empire, or i'll hear it for 6 months worth of smack talk... :lol: Farewell 2009 Season, here's to Opening Day '10...

This Phillies-Rockies game started at 10:07pm, right?

This game is approaching four hours, and they're not even in the 9th inning yet.....

Don't they play tomorrow morning/afternoon as well?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For those who did not see the Red Sox losing, obviously and this is being said in hindsight, did not pay attention from the All-Star break on. The Red Sox were what barely .500. They lost what 10 of 12 to the Yankees. Basically, the Red Sox lost their heart. Or as I said a while ago, they are finally paying for selling their soul to the devil to win a World Series or two, and things have finally reverted back to normal as the Red Sox choke away another 100 years and find ways to lose to the dreaded Yankees. If you ask me, this works out well for the Angels, as they'll probably beat New York 4-2. As far as the Dodgers go, if they face the Phils, they'll beat them in 6, if they face the Rockies, they'll beat them in 5. Either way, I see a Freeway Series and it going 7 games.

This Phillies-Rockies game started at 10:07pm, right?

This game is approaching four hours, and they're not even in the 9th inning yet.....

Don't they play tomorrow morning/afternoon as well?

I believe game 4 is Monday at 6 PM ET, game 5 (if nec.) Tuesday at 8 PM ET.

Archived