2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

The Summit League champs are the Bison from North Dakota State!

They become the first time in 39 years to earn their first bid to the tourny in their first season of eligibility. The last team to pull that off: Long Beach State in 1970.

WHOO HOO!

I grew up a UND Fighting Sioux fan, but I cheer for all things North Dakota when it comes to the national stage. Go Bison!

edit: It always annoys the crap outta me how the national reporters/announcers say Bison. It's "Byezun" , not "BYE-SSON"

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two more teams joined the Big Dance last night...

In a huge upset, Cleveland State takes the auto bid from the Horizon League by beating Butler. This turns the Horizon League into a two-bid league for the second time in three seasons.

Also moving on is Western Kentucky. The Hilltoppers held off South Alabama to win the Sun Belt. Remember, this is the same school that reached the Sweet 16 a year ago.

Tonight, two bids are on the line.

Big Sky Championship

#6 Montana State Bobcats vs. #2 Portland State Vikings

March teaches us two things: Sometimes, the best team in a conference isn't always the regular season champions and any team can get hot at the right time. It makes sense that in the Big Sky, the two teams that prove those reasons square off as Portland State, the team many consider to be the best team overall, faces off with red hot Montana State

Northeast Championship

#2 Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers at #1 Robert Morris Colonials

RMU has been the best team in the NEC all season. What better way for them to prove themselves then to win at home against the team that won the tourny last season

Now, the other games today as some of the big boys get going...

Atlantic 10 1st Round - At Atlantic City, NJ

-La Salle vs. St. Louis

-St. Joesph's vs. Charlotte

-Duquesne vs. UMass

-Richmond vs. St. Bonaventure

Big East 2nd Round - At New York City

-DePaul vs. Providence

-St. John's vs. Marquette

-Notre Dame vs. West Virginia

-Seton Hall vs. Syracuse

Big 12 1st Round - At Oklahoma City

-Nebraska vs. Baylor

-Texas vs. Colorado

-Oklahoma State vs. Iowa State

-Texas A&M vs. Texas Tech

Big West 1st Round - At Anaheim

-UC Irvine vs. UC Davis

-UC Riverside vs. Cal State Fullerton

Conference USA 1st Round - At Memphis

-Marshall vs. Rice

-UCF vs. Southern Miss

-Tulane vs. East Carolina

-Houston vs. SMU

MEAC 1st Round and Quarterfinals - At Winston-Salem, NC

-Bethune Cookman vs. Maryland-Eastern Shore (1st Round)

-Morgan State vs. Florida A&M (Quarterfinals)

-South Carolina State vs. Hampton (Quarterfinals)

Mountain West 1st Round - At Las Vegas

-Colorado State vs. Air Force

Pac-10 1st Round - at Los Angeles

-Oregon State vs. Stanford

-Washington State vs. Oregon

SWAC 1st Round - At Birmingham, AL

-Jackson State vs. Texas Southern

-Alabama State vs. Alabama A&M

Congrats to Robert Morris and Portland State, the two latest to earn a bid to the dance.

No bids today, but plenty of action.

ACC 1st Round - At Atlanta

-Virginia Tech vs. Miami (Florida)

-Clemson vs. Georgia Tech

-Maryland vs. North Carolina State

-Boston College vs. Virginia

Atlantic 10 Quarterfinals - At Atlantic City, NJ

-Xavier vs. St. Louis

-Temple vs. St. Joseph's

-Rhode Island vs. Duquesne

-Dayton vs. Richmond

Big East Quarterfinals - At New York City

-Louisville vs. Providence

-Villanova vs. Marquette

-West Virginia vs. Pittsburgh

-UConn vs. Syracuse

Big Ten 1st Round - At Indianapolis

-Minnesota vs. Northwestern

-Michigan vs. Iowa

-Penn State vs. Indiana

Big 12 Quarterfinals - At Oklahoma City

-Kansas vs. Baylor

-Kansas State vs. Texas

-Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State

-Missouri vs. Texas Tech

Big West 2nd Round - At Anaheim

-Pacific vs. UC Davis

-UC Santa Barbera vs. Cal State Fullerton

Conference USA Quarterfinals - At Memphis

-Tulsa vs. Rice

-UAB vs. Southern Miss

-Memphis vs. Tulane

-UTEP vs. Houston

Mid-American Quarterfinals - At Cleveland

-Ball State vs. Central Michigan

-Buffalo vs. Kent State

-Bowling Green vs. Ohio

-Miami (Ohio) vs. Akron

MEAC Quarterfinals - At Winston-Salem, NC

-Norfolk State vs. Bethune Cookman

-North Carolina A&T vs. Coppin State

Mountain West Quarterfinals - At Las Vegas

-BYU vs. Air Force

-San Diego State vs. UNLV

-Utah vs. TCU

-New Mexico vs. Wyoming

Pac-10 Quarterfinals - At Los Angeles

-Arizona State vs. Arizona

-Washington vs. Stanford

-California vs. USC

-UCLA vs. Washington State

SEC 1st Round - At Tampa

-Kentucky vs. Ole Miss

-Mississippi State vs. Georgia

-Alabama vs. Vanderbilt

-Florida vs. Arkansas

Southland 1st Round - At Katy, TX

-Nicholls State vs. Texas State

-Sam Houston State vs. UT San Antonio

-Stephen F. Austin vs. Southeastern Louisiana

-Texas A&M Corpus Christi vs. UT Arlington

SWAC Quarterfinals - At Birmingham, AL

-Prairie View vs. Mississippi Valley State

-Arkansas Pine Bluff vs. Southern

WAC Quarterfinals - At Reno, NV

-Boise State vs. New Mexico State

-Utah State vs. Fresno State

-Nevada vs. San Jose State

-Idaho vs. Louisiana Tech

Where is Eric when you need him.

Arizona State has defeated Arizona 68-56, Now it's onto the Semi-Finals versus Stanford or Washington. Even though we all know that it will be Washington.

Arizona State is 5-0 last 2 years against the mildcats.

Washington is next.

Arizona State has defeated Arizona 68-56, Now it's onto the Semi-Finals versus Stanford or Washington. Even though we all know that it will be Washington.

Washington is next.

No Love for the Wolverines, Gary? They just blew out Iowa, and probably locked up a spot in the tourney. Everyone had them in already, and they just had to avoid playing themselves out of the field by losing to Iowa. They avoided that, and it is looking really good for them now.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Washington is next.

No Love for the Wolverines, Gary? They just blew out Iowa, and probably locked up a spot in the tourney. Everyone had them in already, and they just had to avoid playing themselves out of the field by losing to Iowa. They avoided that, and it is looking really good for them now.

They have love from me lol. Just was paying attention to the Arizona State game more. I was supposed to be at the game, but instead i'm stuck in Michigan because of the death of my grandpa.

So on that note

FORK EM DEVILS!

GO BLUE!

Baylor just beat Kansas in the Big XII quarters. Biggest upset so far.

Oh how sweet it is. B)

Helps Mizzou's path to a Big XII Title. Oklahoma is now the favorite, and may still win it, but I think Mizzou would stand a chance against them. This drops KU from a potential 2 seed in the NCAA tourney to at least a 3, no doubt.

In a huge upset, Cleveland State takes the auto bid from the Horizon League by beating Butler. This turns the Horizon League into a two-bid league for the second time in three seasons.
Dustin, I think you're being slightly generous by assuming Butler is in. You can't have losses against teams like Cleveland State and make the field easily? They're a bubble team.

LvZYtbZ.png

Dustin, I think you're being slightly generous by assuming Butler is in. You can't have losses against teams like Cleveland State and make the field easily? They're a bubble team.

Aren't they ranked? I think it's impossible to go from ranked to "on the bubble" in one game.

By that same logic, Kansas should be out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Aren't they ranked? I think it's impossible to go from ranked to "on the bubble" in one game.
The tournament committee does not care about rankings - they've left ranked teams out before (and before you say it, yes, this was the era of the 64-team tournament.)

LvZYtbZ.png

As much as I despise Kansas, it really isn't the same thing. Yes, Butler is ranked, but they're in a mid-major conference as opposed to a major conference like KU, and don't play as tough a schedule. I still think Butler will be in, but it's not as definate now.

Have you seen his logic? He stated that if it was him, only the conference winners would get in. So a 31 team tournament

How can a team that was in the Top 25 for a good chunk of the season be on the bubble? They also have a Top 25 RPI ranking, which the committee places more emphasis on then ranking.

Oh, and need I mention the wins over Xavier, UAB, two wins against Cleveland State, Northwestern, and Davidson.

As much as I despise Kansas, it really isn't the same thing. Yes, Butler is ranked, but they're in a mid-major conference as opposed to a major conference like KU, and don't play as tough a schedule. I still think Butler will be in, but it's not as definate now.

It is the same thing...because Butler lost to a mediocre opponent in the Conference tournament, will thinks they should be out. As Baylor is a mediocre opponent, Kansas should be out for their defeat as well. At least in willland anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How can a team that was in the Top 25 for a good chunk of the season be on the bubble? They also have a Top 25 RPI ranking, which the committee places more emphasis on then ranking.

Oh, and need I mention the wins over Xavier, UAB, two wins against Cleveland State, Northwestern, and Davidson.

Just nit-picking, but I thought that since the RPI is easily skewed, the committee placed more emphasis on a team's wins against high RPI teams than their actual RPI. I mean, Duke is currently rated ahead of UNC in the RPI, after getting swept by them in the regular season.

Either way, I think Butler should get in.

Archived