2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

Damn. I left my parents' house right before the first OT started and didn't know 'til 5 minutes ago how long this went.

I don't really care for Syracuse, but I absolutely hate UConn and Jim Calhoun so I'm definately glad the Orange won. While this was indeed a classic, I still think the Big East gets too much love from ESPN because it's the region of the country the station's in.

But what a helluva game.

On another note of interest, to me and maybe others in the midwest I guess, Mizzou is the only team seeded in the top 4 of the Big XII to make it to the semifinals. They take on Oklahoma State, probably the hottest team in the conference right now, tonight and Texas and Baylor play the other game.

At this point, I'm predicting North Carolina, Memphis, Louisville and Michigan State as the number 1 seeds for the Big Dance. Though, after all the upsets in all the conference tourney's yesterday, there really are no safe predictions at this point.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to sound like willmorris, but Memphis cannot get a #1 seed over the triumverate of Oklahoma, Pitt, and UConn.

Last I checked winning a conference tourney isn't mandatory to receive a #1 seed.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I hate to sound like willmorris, but Memphis cannot get a #1 seed over the triumverate of Oklahoma, Pitt, and UConn.

Last I checked winning a conference tourney isn't mandatory to receive a #1 seed.

How about winning a game in the conference tournament? Said triumverate failed to do that. Why reward them for failing and punish Memphis for success?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know, but what they've done all season, how they dominated their conference (yes, I know it's a weaker one, but not quite down to a mid-major level), I feel, when compared to the resumes of the others, can be considered a better choice. Memphis should be in a bigger conference because they really are a higher quality team, but they still should've done enough that they should get the nod over the others, who have more losses and lost in their Conference Tournament Quarterfinals.

Why is it fair to say Memphis shouldn't be a 1 seed, but ESPN claims that Virginia Tech should be a lock for the tournament, even though they're 9th in the ACC, went 7-9 in conference play, and have an 18-13 overall record? There is too much ACC/Big East bias, and really all big conferences get too much credit, though those are the main offenders. Why can't some mid-major or smaller major conferences get some love? They think only the major conference teams, no matter how bad they are, should make up the whole damn tourney and should only be the ones considered for higher seeds. It's ridiculous.

How about winning a game in the conference tournament? Said triumverate failed to do that. Why reward them for failing and punish Memphis for success?

Last I checked, winning a game in the conference tournament isn't mandatory to receive a #1 seed, either. Memphis isn't being punished...they'll get a #2 seed and be happy with it.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Last I checked, winning a game in the conference tournament isn't mandatory to receive a #1 seed, either. Memphis isn't being punished...they'll get a #2 seed and be happy with it.

It does help, though. And if say Michigan State and Memphis do win their Conference tourneys, wouldn't that be worth rewarding with a 1 seed compared to Connecticut's inability to finish Syracuse last night and Pittsburgh's difficulties when confronted with adversity.

I will admit I kind of want to see Pitt get a 1 seed, if only because I am of the belief that if the 16 over 1 upset would ever happen, Jamie Dixon's perpetually underachieving Pitt squads would be involved.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So a top team like Memphis shouldn't be rewarded for dominating their conference during the regular season and tourney, not to mention having a good non-conference showing, but Pitt and UConn should be rewarded for not even making the semifinals, or even winning a game, in their conference tournament, added to the fact that their regualr season is rather lateral to Memphis's? They had a few struggles in a much tougher conference regular season and Memphis dominated a lesser conference, but I think that makes it rather even. And then you add the conference tournaments in there...

Little bit of a double-standard wouldn't you say?

So a top team like Memphis shouldn't be rewarded for dominating their conference during the regular season and tourney, not to mention having a good non-conference showing, but Pitt and UConn should be rewarded for not even making the semifinals, or even winning a game, in their conference tournament, added to the fact that their regualr season is rather lateral to Memphis's? They had a few struggles in a much tougher conference regular season and Memphis dominated a lesser conference, but I think that makes it rather even. And then you add the conference tournaments in there...

Little bit of a double-standard wouldn't you say?

Not at all...just compare the conferences. Or don't, because you can't compare the C-USA to the Big freaking East!

Thank God, only 1 OT.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived