2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

Syracuse has re-ignited my love of college basketball. Maybe it's March Madness, maybe it's just a freak of nature, but holy crap, this team has some damn heart.

'Cuse basketball is always going to have a fan in me.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome aboard :)

Staying with the new fan theme, Kristof Ongenaet is officially my favorite player on the Orange now. Watching these past few games of his, he's no doubt an invaluable player on Cuse. He may not get in the box score or highlights, but he has just as much heart as anyone on the court and makes so many fantastic little plays that help the Orange.

And I just love eastern european players :) Antanas Kavliaskus (or whatever his last name was) was my favorite college bball player a few years back on Texas A&M, partly because he's lithuanian (my heritage), partly because his first name is my middle name, and partly because he worked just as hard as any other player.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I wonder if this run is gonna kill Syracuse in the NCAA Tournament. They've played 115 minutes of basketball in about 26 hours, and will play at least 40 minutes tomorrow. They're basically on nothing but fumes and adrenaline, now.

Their run is kind of reminding me of UGA's marathon-like run through the conference tournament last year. One helluvah weekend, but will it come back to bite them come next week?

Without knowing who Syracuse will face in the NCAA's, I'm betting they won't reach the Sweet 16.

I wonder if this run is gonna kill Syracuse in the NCAA Tournament. They've played 115 minutes of basketball in about 26 hours, and will play at least 40 minutes tomorrow. They're basically on nothing but fumes and adrenaline, now.

Their run is kind of reminding me of UGA's marathon-like run through the conference tournament last year. One helluvah weekend, but will it come back to bite them come next week?

Without knowing who Syracuse will face in the NCAA's, I'm betting they won't reach the Sweet 16.

I had the same feeling watching tonight's game against WVU. This run is reminding me too much of the 2006 Big East Tourney run that Gerry McNamara completely took over. An exhilarating, but draining (and excessive in the context of qualifying for the NCAAs) BET followed by a huge first-round letdown in the Big Dance. I think this team is different, deeper, and better, but I can't help but get painful flashbacks watching this Tourney unfold.

That being said, this has been an amazing couple of games so far that even my neurotic nagging fears couldn't overtake. I watched tonight's game in a middle seat on a cross-continental flight and had to fight every temptation to scream and gesticulate, lest I cause an "in-air incident". I had a Syracuse shirt on and people congratulated me as I walked down the aisle to use the bathroom. I love March Madness.

And not that anyone really cares all that much, my Binghamton Bearcats are going to their first ever NCAA Tournament! Woot! :woot:

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

And not that anyone really cares all that much, my Binghamton Bearcats are going to their first ever NCAA Tournament! Woot! :woot:

This is relevant to me because I know that Kornheiser is going to throw a party on PTI. Congrats, though!

Damn, Toney Douglas is good. I went down to the Dome today looking for tickets. Prices were ridiculous, but we did get a good deal on tickets for tomorrow.

I did shake hands/high-five/fist bump all of the Tar Heels coming out of their hotel to the bus though. That was awesome.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

That makes 4 Upstate teams in the tourney so far(Binghamton, Cornell, Siena and Syracuse is a lock), hopefully 5 with UB tonight. What a year for Upstate basketball. 4 maybe 5 out of 10 D1 teams made it. As for downstate, 0/12. ^_^

saBS.png

It's going to be Tennessee and Mississippi State for the SEC title tomorrow. I'm pumped.

For those of us in the South, the Auburn-Tennessee game was the final broadcast of the SEC on Raycom Sports (Previously Jefferson Pilot then Lincoln Financial Sports). This ends a 30 year run of spectacular coverage. After the game, Dave Baker, Dave Neal, Barry Booker, Joe Dean Jr., Tim Brando, Larry Conley, and Tom Hammond all reflected and bid their farewells. It was quite emotional, and very fitting.

I hate to see it go, and it only makes me hate ESPN even more...

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

Syracuse has re-ignited my love of college basketball. Maybe it's March Madness, maybe it's just a freak of nature, but holy crap, this team has some damn heart.

'Cuse basketball is always going to have a fan in me.

Syracuse is a great team to root for. Like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, or many of the other big-time programs, they've got a rich, storied history and a national championship to their credit. However, they don't nearly the same legion of annoying, cult-like fans, so they're actually fun to root for. They're the only underdog of the college basketball royalty set.

And the difference between this run and that of 2006 is that 2006 was Gerry McNamara and four guys, and they needed that BE championship to even get into the tournament. They've got depth this year and aren't nearly as dependent on one guy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's going to be Tennessee and Mississippi State for the SEC title tomorrow. I'm pumped.

For those of us in the South, the Auburn-Tennessee game was the final broadcast of the SEC on Raycom Sports (Previously Jefferson Pilot then Lincoln Financial Sports). This ends a 30 year run of spectacular coverage. After the game, Dave Baker, Dave Neal, Barry Booker, Joe Dean Jr., Tim Brando, Larry Conley, and Tom Hammond all reflected and bid their farewells. It was quite emotional, and very fitting.

So, will the ACC championship be the last Raycom game ever?

Just for the SEC. I'm pretty sure that they will still do ACC games.

Just for the SEC. I'm pretty sure that they will still do ACC games.

According to Wikipedia, you're right.

I hope ESPN will make it better though. It was hard to find the Raycom SEC games. They were usually on Fox Sports South alternate.

MISSOURI TIGERS: 2009 BIG XII TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!

:boogie:(dance):boogie:

Dude I'm so pumped haven't got to seen much of them this year but I watched the Title game today and this team is primed for a long run in the Tournament they should be about a 3 seed.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived