2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

I don't think Tradition played into Arizona getting in at least I hope not but who actually thinks they deserved to get in wins over Gonzaga and Kansas are impressive especially the blowing out of the National Champs, 9-9 in the Pac 10, 62nd in the RPI and 0-9 on the road that's horrible I mean they'll put up a good fight against the Utes and maybe even upset them.

We say it every year the the committee should look at who should be in who should be out we should just look forward to a great tournament.

Sorry. No way Arizona should have made it in over St. Mary's or San Diego State. And UW/Miss. State is going to be a tough matchup.

I'm looking as an outside observer and as one who really didn't follow college basketball this year, but I keep hearing something that is horribly disturbing to me. I keep hearing about St. Mary's who lost their best player and I hear this, "once they lost him they aren't a tournament team." That is horrible and short-sighted. When did one player become the gauge of whether a team is good or not? It's not 1 vs. 5, or 1 vs. 12. It takes a full team to win games, and I don't care what anyone says, a 26 win and 2 loss team is heads and tails above a team that has a record like Arizona which is a terribly average at best team. This is not the Arizona teams of Lute Olsen, it's an average program and stop living off the past of Lute Olsen. Who got paid off for teams like Arizona to make it? St. Mary's as a team won 26 games, not their one player. If it was their one player winning those games and scoring every point, you have an argument, but how many times did he alone outscore the opponent for the full game? I'm taking a guess, never. The NCAA selection committee needs to get the mindset of injuries being more important than a team's performance. What they are saying is that one player means more to a team than the team as a whole. And you wonder why basketball has become so individualistic? If that was the case then the Dodgers wouldn't have been allowed to play in the 1988 World Series. They beat a team with better talent because they were a better team that believed they could. It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it makes it that much better. You can tell that the people who select the teams have never played on a team sport, because they have no concept what a team is.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, sounds like I missed much since I took my unscheduled leave on Friday, so let me to get to it.

1.) The Arizona-St. Mary's situation. I do agree that Arizona probably shouldn't of gotten in, but I see it in two ways: Arizona managed to garner a few impressive wins (Gonzaga, Washington) while St. Mary's couldn't get a win over an NCAA bound team (Sorry, Providence and San Diego State doesn't count). The other reason... Despite Arizona stinking it up at the end, they weren't blasted out of the water like St. Mary's.

2.) My other beef is with Alabama State being in the play-in game (Call it the Opening Round Game and I'll call you a PC Monkey). This team went 21-9 while being in a weak ass conference. If this is about the two weakest teams in the field, then it should be Chattanooga vs. Morehead State tomorrow night while Alabama State takes the spot of Chattanooga as the West's 16 seed.

3.) U-Dub in Portland. This will be fun... Ohhh. When I heard they were going to play Mississippi State in the 1st Round, the first thing I thought of was that Flame is going down... HARD!

Well, sounds like I missed much since I took my unscheduled leave on Friday, so let me to get to it.

1.) The Arizona-St. Mary's situation. I do agree that Arizona probably shouldn't of gotten in, but I see it in two ways: Arizona managed to garner a few impressive wins (Gonzaga, Washington) while St. Mary's couldn't get a win over an NCAA bound team (Sorry, Providence and San Diego State doesn't count). The other reason... Despite Arizona stinking it up at the end, they weren't blasted out of the water like St. Mary's.

2.) My other beef is with Alabama State being in the play-in game (Call it the Opening Round Game and I'll call you a PC Monkey). This team went 21-9 while being in a weak ass conference. If this is about the two weakest teams in the field, then it should be Chattanooga vs. Morehead State tomorrow night while Alabama State takes the spot of Chattanooga as the West's 16 seed.

3.) U-Dub in Portland. This will be fun... Ohhh. When I heard they were going to play Mississippi State in the 1st Round, the first thing I thought of was that Flame is going down... HARD!

Having personally seen the garbage that is UT-C basketball, I fully agree. I was shocked to not see them in the play-in game. But watch the game if you can, their coach is a little fiery man who tends to break clip boards on a regular basis.

In non-tourney news - App has fired head coach Houston Fancher. Though I never thought he was the best coach, I'm not as excited about a new coach as I thought I would be. I guess after hearing he just had a baby girl, I became softer to him. The school is paying his something like $120,000 salary next season, so I guess he will be good to go for at least a year. An early rumored favorite for the new job is Winona State's coach - Mike Leaf.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Having personally seen the garbage that is UT-C basketball, I fully agree. I was shocked to not see them in the play-in game. But watch the game if you can, their coach is a little fiery man who tends to break clip boards on a regular basis.

The Chattanooga coach does that? If so, then having to face Hasheem Thabeet is going to mean at least 4 or 5 broken clip boards.

The Chattanooga coach does that? If so, then having to face Hasheem Thabeet is going to mean at least 4 or 5 broken clip boards.

Oh he did it plenty when facing Dante Minter and Jeremy Clayton. I believe it was a half court alleyoop that did the poor piece of wood in.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

I did not know this until yesterday, btu the NCAA can opt out of the CBS contract after next year. I don't think they will as the NY Times story states the obvious.

NCAA Can Opt Out After 2010 Tournament- NY Times

The N.C.A.A. has a major decision to make within the next 12 months: stick with its 11-year, $6 billion contract with CBS to carry the men?s basketball tournament through 2013, or exercise an option to get out after next season. Options like the N.C.A.A.?s exist to permit leagues or other sports organizations to capitalize on better financial markets than existed when a deal was signed.

But the economy is so weak that only the most optimistic forecaster can spot more than vague stirrings of a recovery by March 2010. If the N.C.A.A. opts out, then it will exchange the certainty of CBS?s fees in 2011, 2012 and 2013 ? above the annual average $545 million ? for the hope of a March Madness free-agent payoff. Tough choice.

The financial world has changed drastically since the deal was signed on Nov. 18, 1999 (although it did not go into effect until 2003, after a previous deal expired). The Dow Jones industrial average stood at 11,035.70 that day, but it closed Monday at 7,216.97; Citigroup stock was at $56.25 and is now at $2.23; Bank of America has fallen from $65.38 to $6.18; and General Motors from $69.81 to $2.52.

CBS?s $6 billion bid looks overly rich nine-plus years later, but the network was protecting its turf, a lesson it learned when previous management let its N.F.L. rights go to Fox in 1993.

Sean McManus, the president of CBS News and CBS Sports, said that he had had informal talks with the N.C.A.A. about an extension. ?We have a pretty good track record of renewing all our deals well before they expire,? he said by phone Monday.

St. Mary's did defeat Utah State and Morgan State, two teams currently playing in the NCAA tournament.

Widen the field, and have four play-in games.

This game scares the bejeezus out of me. Toughest 13-seed by far. Varnado's a maniac. I think UW wins, but it will be close.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

St. Mary's did defeat Utah State and Morgan State, two teams currently playing in the NCAA tournament.

Widen the field, and have four play-in games.

This game scares the bejeezus out of me. Toughest 13-seed by far. Varnado's a maniac. I think UW wins, but it will be close.

1. The Utah State win came without Patty Mills, which happens to be the whole damn focus on the Gaels' arguement for getting in. If they would of been better when he was injured, this would be moot. But, no. They had to whine and bitch and moan about how much better they were with him. Hell, they even looked like crap in that extra game they added against Eastern Washington. And Morgan State? Well, since I'm in the mood to be a smartass: St. Mary's beat Morgan State, who beat Maryland. Does that make St. Mary's better then Maryland?

2. No. I say ditch the Play-In game. You really think that saving one at-large bid is that important?

3. <_< The game is in Portland... It's going to be a pseudo-home game for the Huskies. There's no way Mississippi State can compete. Washington is going to march into Glendale and get beaten by UConn for the third time in 10 years in NCAA Tourny play.

I think all the 16 Seeds or maybe just 1 more should have a play in game they could be a bit more entertaining but there's nothing better then desperate college basketball teams going at it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So Drew...after watching the play in game, I really think the AI is mistaken on the outcome of Morehead State's game with Louisville.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I just tuned in to the UNLV-Kentucky NIT game. What's the reason for the game being at Memorial Coliseum instead of Rupp?
I heard it's because there's a high school basketball tournament at Rupp this week.

Until I looked it up, I thought that Kentucky got pissed off with them only making it to the NIT, so they kicked them out of Rupp. :P

But yeah, you know that state is crazy about basketball when the high school basketball tournaments takes precedent over the college b-ball team.

I just tuned in to the UNLV-Kentucky NIT game. What's the reason for the game being at Memorial Coliseum instead of Rupp?
I heard it's because there's a high school basketball tournament at Rupp this week.

Ah. I wonder which is making the most $...

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

When my friend told me about that name about two weeks or so ago, I thought he was trying to pull some stupid joke on me, and didn't believe him, I didn't even look it up until I saw the Alabama State conference championship game, and I couldn't believe it. What a name.

saBS.png

When my friend told me about that name about two weeks or so ago, I thought he was trying to pull some stupid joke on me, and didn't believe him, I didn't even look it up until I saw the Alabama State conference championship game, and I couldn't believe it. What a name.

Yep...this dude's definitely going on my All-Name squad.

Grlenntys Chief Kickingstallionsims...Jr. Think Imma slot him somewhere between Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Kaipo-Noa Hiwahiwa Akahi Kaheaku-Enhada (but somewhere below God Shammgod) on my list of All-time faves.

(With, of course, honorable mention going to the great Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yep...this dude's definitely going on my All-Name squad.

Grlenntys Chief Kickingstallionsims...Jr. Think Imma slot him somewhere between Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Kaipo-Noa Hiwahiwa Akahi Kaheaku-Enhada (but somewhere below God Shammgod) on my list of All-time faves.

(With, of course, honorable mention going to the great Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo.)

What about Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje?

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived