2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

Two more bids have been given out.

Congrats to the Chattanooga Mocs and the VCU Rams!

Chattanooga took advantage of the home court to beat the weary College of Charleston Cougars and earn the SoCon title.

VCU ran roughshod over George Mason to earn the CAA title and, if Duke fans remember, these guys are a real pain to beat.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pac-10 Tournament pairings have been announced

First Round

#8 Oregon State vs #9 Stanford

#7 Washington State vs #10 Oregon

Second Round

Oregon State/Stanford vs #1 Washington

#4 Arizona State vs #5 Arizona

#3 California vs #6 Southern California

Washington State/Oregon vs UCLA

My predictions

Stanford over Oregon State

Washington State defeats Oregon

Washington beats Stanford

Arizona State beats Arizona

California beats Southern California

UCLA beats Washington State

Semifinals

Arizona State defeats Washington in Triple Overtime

UCLA over California

Finals

Arizona State over UCLA

Someone is still a soreass from what the Huskies did in Seattle against the Sun Dorks. :P

I have a prediction too: U-Dub is going to run rampant in the tourny, bring home the title and get themselves a nice little 5 seed or, if the pieces fall correctly, a good 4 seed.

No hopeful, they will beat the Huskies.

Who would like to explain why dunking a ball in pre-game drills is a technical foul?

That's the dumbest shee-ot I've heard about in sports since the Tuck Rule.

Where is this a technical? I never heard of that rule.

saBS.png

Who would like to explain why dunking a ball in pre-game drills is a technical foul?

I do know that as a mascot, we're not allowed to do anything with dunks as a halftime show or promotion, hence why you never see those types of halftime shows at NCAA games.

I would assume it's just to prevent wear and tear on the rims. I know it's probably extreme, but that's the only reason I can really come up with.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

College. It happened earlier tonight.

A Saint Mary's player dunked a ball in the pre-game layups (with the refs on the court), and before the ball was tipped off, a Gonzaga player got two free throws because of that technical foul. So Gonzaga had points on the board with 20:00 on the game clock before the opening tip.

It can't be a safety issue...they allow dunks during the game. It can't be a taunting thing...the other team is nowhere around, and I doubt someone on the opposing team is going to get offended because a guy on the other team can dunk a ball.

That's just dumb.

bills already did the work for me. Congrats to Siena... and that other school from Spokane... for reaching the tourny.

Today, three bids are on the line.

Horizon League Championship

#3 Cleveland State Vikings at #1 Butler Bulldogs

Didn't we see this last year? Butler knocked off CSU at home to win the Horizon League title last season and once again, these two will meet. Butler has locked up an at-large bid, but they don't want to disappoint the home crowd

Summit League Championship

#1 North Dakota State Bison vs. #3 Oakland Golden Grizzlies

This is the opportunity all DI schools strive for. For NDSU, this is their first season as an official Division I school and they would love to reach the NCAA tourny in their first attempt. Standing in their way is Oakland, who has been there and done that

Sun Belt Championship

#1 Western Kentucky Hilltoppers vs. #6 South Alabama Jaguars

Last season, both of these teams made the tourny. WKU won the auto bid while South Alabama got a rare at-large for the Sun Belt. This season, there will be no at-large bid for the conference and the winner goes on to the tourny, plain and simple

In today's action...

Big East 1st Round - At New York City

-Cincinnati vs. DePaul

-Georgetown vs. St. John's

-Notre Dame vs. Rutgers

-Seton Hall vs. South Florida

Big Sky Semifinals - At Ogden, UT

-Portland State vs. Idaho State

-Weber State vs. Montana State

Mid-American 1st Round - At Cleveland, OH

-Central Michigan vs. Eastern Michigan

-Kent State vs. Northern Illinois

-Western Michigan vs. Ohio

-Akron vs. Toledo

MEAC 1st Round - At Winston-Salem, NC

-Delaware State vs. Hampton

-Florida A&M vs. Howard

WAC 1st Round - At Reno, NV

-Hawaii vs. Fresno State

A Saint Mary's player dunked a ball in the pre-game layups (with the refs on the court), and before the ball was tipped off, a Gonzaga player got two free throws because of that technical foul. So Gonzaga had points on the board with 20:00 on the game clock before the opening tip.

It can't be a safety issue...they allow dunks during the game. It can't be a taunting thing...the other team is nowhere around, and I doubt someone on the opposing team is going to get offended because a guy on the other team can dunk a ball.

That's just dumb.

But the kicker is that you can dunk it during shootaround before the refs come out. There is like 5 minutes you can't dunk.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Summit League Championship

#1 North Dakota State Bison vs. #3 Oakland Golden Grizzlies

This is the opportunity all DI schools strive for. For NDSU, this is their first season as an official Division I school and they would love to reach the NCAA tourny in their first attempt. Standing in their way is Oakland, who has been there and done that

Although I didn't go there, as a person originally from the Fargo area and the son of two NDSU grads, let me say, "Go Bison!"

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

That's just dumb.

But the kicker is that you can dunk it during shootaround before the refs come out. There is like 5 minutes you can't dunk.

Which leads to this question: Why is dunking a ball (with the refs are on the court) during shootarounds a technical foul?

I always thought that dunking during warmups was a high school rule only.

But if it's not, then I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to dunk after the buzzer sounds for halftime. I was at a high school game where a player dunk two seconds after the buzzer sounded for halftime (he left the ground after the buzzer went off) and got a technical for it. I'm pretty sure the rule is something like: a player can not touch the rim when the clock is not within the minutes of the half, as in the player can touch the rim from 20:00 on the clock to 0:00 in the first half, and within 20:00 and 0:00 in the second half.

Cincinnati's catastrophic late season collapse just became slightly more catastrophic.

DePaul was winless in the Big East regular season.

Helloooo NIT!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

That's just dumb.

Which leads to this question: Why is dunking a ball (with the refs are on the court) during shootarounds a technical foul?

Under NFHS and NCAA men?s rules, players are not allowed to dunk the basketball before the game or during intermissions until the jurisdiction of the officials has ended (NFHS 10-3-4; NCAA 10-3-13). The women?s game has no such provision. The penalty for such action, however, is decidedly different. I remember when I was about 8 or 9, some games in Dc and Baltimire used to start at 4-3 before tip off. It is illegal to dunk or grasp the rim before teh game starts, however if the officiating crew, who holds what is called "elastic power", does not appear on court until 5 minutes prior to the start of the game, they cannot see or call it.

In high school, the player is charged with a technical foul and the coach is also charged indirectly. Whenever the coach is charged (directly or indirectly) with a technical foul, he/she loses the privilege of using the coaching box (for states utilizing the optional coaching box). The game begins with two free throws for team A and the ball is awarded to team A for division line throw-in opposite the table. The possession arrow would then be pointed toward team B?s basket. In an NCAA men?s game, an indirect technical foul is charged to the team B player. Since the technical is indirect, it does not count toward the player?s five fouls for disqualification or the team foul total. Team A is awarded two free throws to begin the game and the ball shall be put in play with a jump ball. In an NCAA women?s game, no penalties would be assessed.

The Summit League champs are the Bison from North Dakota State!

They become the first time in 39 years to earn their first bid to the tourny in their first season of eligibility. The last team to pull that off: Long Beach State in 1970.

Coming down to the wire for the Sun Belt Title between So.Alabama and The Hilltoppers from Western Kentucky I'd be down for seeing Big Red next week who wouldn't.

wku.jpg

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived