2009 NCAA Basketball Thread

Drew22

Well at least the first minute was competitive.

8:22 to go in the first half and Michigan State just cut it to under 20 down.

Disappointing year for UNC, they didn't get to 40 wins.
Anyone else and I would chalk this comment up to sarcasm, but with you I just don't know. In case you were being serious, any year you win the championship is never a disappointment, not a single player or coach cares about their win total right now.
Trust me, if I was AD of UNC, I'd fire any coach who couldn't consistently win 40 games a year. The standards should be that high at that school.
So you have grabbed "most insane fanbase/athletic department" honors from Kentucky. What's your next move?
So you're telling me you wouldn't be happy with an athletic department who is committed to excellence by wanting 40 wins a year?

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else and I would chalk this comment up to sarcasm, but with you I just don't know. In case you were being serious, any year you win the championship is never a disappointment, not a single player or coach cares about their win total right now.
Trust me, if I was AD of UNC, I'd fire any coach who couldn't consistently win 40 games a year. The standards should be that high at that school.
So you have grabbed "most insane fanbase/athletic department" honors from Kentucky. What's your next move?
So you're telling me you wouldn't be happy with an athletic department who is committed to excellence by wanting 40 wins a year?

I'd rather my athletic department were slightly more rational, realistic, and possessed perspective, and understanding of the nature of college basketball. 40 wins a year is an insanely unattainable goal.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd rather my athletic department were slightly more rational, realistic, and possessed perspective, and understanding of the nature of college basketball. 40 wins a year is an insanely unattainable goal.
With the talent that UNC's basketball team has, there is no reason they should not win 40 games each year.

LvZYtbZ.png

Teams don't even play 40 games in a year. UNC played 38 total. I think the laws of mathematics is a good reason why they shouldn't win 40 games each year.
But UNC would have played 40 had they not lost some of the games they did.

LvZYtbZ.png

Teams don't even play 40 games in a year. UNC played 38 total. I think the laws of mathematics is a good reason why they shouldn't win 40 games each year.

Next thing you're going to tell me is the AFC is the superior conference

No, they wouldn't have. Three of their four losses were regular season conference losses (BC, Wake, Maryland) and not tied to any in-season tournament. Their fourth loss was to Florida State in the ACC Conference semi-finals. If they would've won that game, they would've played one more (conference championship v. Duke) still falling one short of 40 games played.

Bottom line, if UNC ran the table completely, they would've been 39-0.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

It wouldn't be a major American championship game without willmorris coming through and saying some crazy nonsense.

Hey, at least another of his irrational thoughts wasn't proven wrong this time right?

Oh.... wait.....

It wouldn't be a major American championship game without willmorris coming through and saying some crazy nonsense.

WillMorris has spoken. The Tar Heels can now officially begin their celebration...then head straight to practice as punishment for falling short of 40 wins.

BB52Big.jpg

Well as a Spartan of course we're all a bit disappointed, but quite an outstanding run this young team put together. Certainly nothing to hang our heads about in East Lansing. I see this team only improving on this next season.

I was really hoping Goran could win one before he left, and he was really the only one who played well tonight. Either way, you are right, nobody really expected them to go this far after the way they started the season. It also seems there isn't going to be a riot in East Lansing, so maybe the students realize there is nothing to be disappointed about. It looks like both Michigan teams exceeded expectations, and hopefully Michigan can keep improving and make it a real rivalry again.

MegatronSig2.jpg

First off, props to Roy Williams and Carolina on another National Championship.

Mission. Accomplished.

Also, one of the greatest college careers of all time has come to a close. So long Psycho T.

I couldn't agree with you more. A classy finish to a classy college career.

Most experts say Hansbrough won't be able to make the transition to the pros, but I am one who wouldn't mind seeing him prove 'em all wrong.

6uXNWAo.png

He'll be fine in the NBA. He's adapted through his years at Carolina. He's added jumpers and other mid range moves. All it will take is a coach telling him where he needs to improve.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

WillMorris has spoken. The Tar Heels can now officially begin their celebration...then head straight to practice as punishment for falling short of 40 wins.
To be honest, I want to see a class be able to say they were four-time unbeaten, national champions, with 160 wins on the career. Anything less should be considered a failure at UNC, given the talent they have.

Besides, if you set high goals like that, you are bound to be driven to succeed. It's just like setting a goal of 38 wins in the EPL, or 96 wins (in 96 games) in the NBA, or 173 wins (in 173 games) in major league baseball - you have to set goals to reach, and anything less is a failure.

LvZYtbZ.png

That is utterly ridiculous. I can't even form the words to describe how ridiculous that really is.

"You just won the title, but you didn't have 40 scheduled games and win them all running away, so you're fired." Really, why wait for the end of the season? Fire the coach and replace all the players once they lose one game, right?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

That is utterly ridiculous. I can't even form the words to describe how ridiculous that really is.

"You just won the title, but you didn't have 40 scheduled games and win them all running away, so you're fired." Really, why wait for the end of the season? Fire the coach and replace all the players once they lose one game, right?

Not as impossible as it seems - Arsenal ran unbeaten a few years ago in the EPL. It can be done, and I wouldn't be happy as the AD of UNC unless the Tar Heels were doing it consistently in all sports. Remember, we're looking for a commitment to excellence - and 39-1 is not an excellent team, as they failed.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived