76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

I for one, find this to be great news. I love those uniforms and the old logo. Hopefully this will be the end of Hip-Hop

:blink:

(Also, you know old school jerseys are big in Hip Hop right?)

Hip Hop = the Sixers deranged rabbit mascot.

hiphopx500.jpg

...why is he wearing batting gloves?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm partial to these Phila unis:

chamberlain.jpg

They wore a blue version of that a few times during the Shawn Bradley era. Having a tough time finding pics of them in action though. It may only have been a preseason game or two.

31-49628-F.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I for one, find this to be great news. I love those uniforms and the old logo. Hopefully this will be the end of Hip-Hop

:blink:

(Also, you know old school jerseys are big in Hip Hop right?)

hiphopx500.jpg

Hanz and Franz want their bodysuit back.

hans_franz.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

hiphopx500.jpg

...why is he wearing batting gloves?

Because that's "urban"? At least to a team of white consultants who believed that raving a 'roided up rabbit with a punny name and such attire is "urban" and should appeal to fans of the Sixers.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For the record, I'm a fan of the wide-shouldered set that they had before tinkerinig with the stripes last season.

I'd rather them have kept that home white jersey, elevated the blue to primary road, and use the PHILA-red as the alt. Their addition of black never bothered me much - only it's use as a primary jersey color.

That was certainly the obvious solution, I still don't see why they didn't do that!

The Sixers are also the perfect team for alt jerseys, since they could never really decide whether to have blue or red primary jerseys.

But I think this is sure better than nothing...then they can rebrand down the road but at least keep their "real"color set.

This will leave the Jazz and Hawks as the only teams in "wrong"colors. I guess the Hawks won't go back any time soon with the success they've had.

This is a great decision. The white jerseys just look so clean and fresh in their simplicity. They are somewhat unique in the NBA too, in that they are royal blue and red as opposed to navy and red. I've always loved that logo too.

But the thing about the Celtics, Red Wings, Lakers, Yankees---they never jumped the bandwagon. They stuck with what they had, without changing anything due to what was trendy. Creating their own classic, timeless look. They stayed true to their roots.

The Sixers on the other hand dumped their classic look for oh, about a decade, and are now deciding to switch back because they see that that's what's 'in', that's what is 'trendy.' In my opinion, that's how you lose your supporters. The Sixers are a mediocre team anyway. Their look is the least of their problems. Switching back to the colors of your glory days sure won't make you play like the glory days.

Totally agree with the classic, timeless look, but if you notice though, the Lakers have slightly updated their look, the Celtics added a black and green alternate, etc. so updating is great when done with the tradition. Also, the 4 teams you listed are all perennial contenders. More examples include USC football, Notre Dame (regardless of their recent hard times), Penn State, Ohio State, UCLA basketball, the Packers, the Steelers, Duke, the 49ers etc. All rich in history and WINNING tradition.

I think updating is great for teams who lack that winning tradition. Arizona Cardinals, California Golden Bears, Golden State Warriors, Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Dallas Mavs etc.

Some just go against the grain: UNC should have never updated, UConn had great uniforms during the Rip Hamilton years, the Clippers are in dire need of an update,

LAKERS | BRONCOS | GOLDEN BEARS | PAC-12 FOOTBALL

The retro Sixers look is classic...the modern one is not.

Good to see they're going back to the design where their history is-a few tweaks and it will be a good look used for many years to come!

P.S. About that "red, white, & blue" and "blue & gold" complaints, I don't see anything wrong with that...they're cool color schemes!

bYhYmxh.png

Interesting nugget in today's Uni Watch:

According to this story, the Sixers will be switching to their 1982-83 uni design next season. But I?ve seen next season?s Sixers jersey, and I can tell you that it?s not quite as simple as an ?82-?83 throwback. Sorry, can?t tell you more, but I just wanted to say that the story as stated on that page isn?t quite accurate.
kU6ns.gif

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

Add me to the list.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

^ I have championed those jerseys for years on these boards. I am in the camp of a Pistons style revamp of either the 82-83s or the mid-90s. Either way I am very happy to hear this news.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

Add me to the list.

And in addition, I think the home unis looked even better...

ai_rookie.jpg

(Yep, that's really A.I.)

6uXNWAo.png

I just hope it's an updated version of their old logo without unpleasant surprises. Their old one is really outdated.

The current one they do use is more outdated. That reeks of mid-90s garishness. The zeitgeist has come full circle, and the '83 logo looks fresh, clean and simple now. No curved font, no goofy ball motion swoop, and no BLACK! Thank the maker. The Iverson era is dead. Long live the future.

Archived