Sports Logos

random_ax

We're all pretty much here because we like logos, uniforms, team colors, etc. Do you ever get grief from friends, family or co-workers for actually caring what shade of blue a team wears or if the team adds black to its logo or if there's more stripes on the jersey? Most of my friends couldn't care less about a logo or color change (unless it's jarring) or the addition of some stripe etc. To them, it's about the game and the stats and the players and the rest is just window dressing. They can hardlly believe that anyone would care about throwbacks, changes or modifications like the dolphin having a "meaner look".

Just curious. Are you pretty much alone in your circle of friends in caring?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i'm around my friends watchin a game I'll outburst something i notice, then stop myself, but they're so used to it they just tell me to go ahead and say it.

They have even started saying stuff about logos and uniforms occasionally, just because they know I'm interested. Usually I know of the change a few weeks earlier than when they say it.

My mom tries to act interested when I mention a logo/uniform change, but truly she's not haha.

And my dad always says "I don't care about any team's logos or uniforms except my own" (meaning strictly Cavaliers, Indians, Browns, Buckeyes).

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm basically known as the 'Encyclopedia of Worthless Crap' to most of my friends, so when I make a point about uniforms, my friends don't really think anything of it anymore. Actually, my friends always ask me about new hockey uniforms coming out.

Nope. Because I understand that I'm a freak, and not everyone has my sickness, so I don't sit there and complain to anyone about it... that's what this board is about. Have I made choices of what games I'll go to and see what teams are playing based on uniforms? Yep. I went to an Angels game last year because they were giving away their 70's lower case "a" and halo cap and wearing the 71 uniforms for 70's night. I didn't sit in the stands and whine about how the Angels wore their current helmet with the uniform, I just sat quietly disappointed. I know most people could care less. I did tell a friend when I was buying tickets for a group outing to what was then the Long Beach Ice Dogs, that I bought the game I did because I liked the uniforms of the Trenton Thunder, and I'll tend to watch a game between two teams that have good uniforms. She found that interesting and never heard of that. She was a sports fan, from Boston. I just keep my sickness to myself. I don't need professional help, I have it under control. :P

my friend bought an Ickey Woods Bengals jersey off of Ebay. He goes "check this out, it's authentic" My initial reaction was to tell him that the block number font was wrong, that Ickey Woods never wore the NFL shield on his collar, that he never wore tackle twill numbers, that his last name was never outlined in orange and that he never wore dazzle material on the shoulder inserts. But I thought back to a time when another friend showed me his new Carson Palmer Bengals jersey from ebay and my first reaction was to say "you know the number font is off, the round part of the 9 isn't supposed to be raised that high." He says "how can you tell?" to which I replied "how can you not?" It was really obvious but everyone in the room gave me a lot of grief. I got my Palmer jersey and showed everyone to which they all replied "what does it matter?"

I was also once at a Super Bowl party and they showed a shot of the stadium and I said "hey, they changed the endzone template this year" I got a lot of weird looks.

so now I've learned that if a team comes onto the TV with a new alternate jersey or an MLB team wears its BP jerseys during a game or a team has an inaccurate throwback then I obsess over it privately until I can come on here and spill all my thoughts. That's the beauty of this place.

PvO6ZWJ.png

To them, it's about the game and the stats and the players and the rest is just window dressing.

First off, there's no reason a person can't be obsessed with the uniforms and logos and also be obsessed with the game and the stats and the players. Plus, when you visit any sport's Hall of Fame, it all boils down to artifacts and uniforms, and suddenly you become the guy with the answers.

Second, and this is speaking as straight man to other straight men, while I understand that most male sports fans look askance at caring or knowing too much about the uniforms, in my experience most women have the opposite response. And frankly, if it's a choice between the respect of men I barely know and the attention of women I stand a chance of knowing better, well, there's a certain wisdom in understanding that in the long run, the respect of other men doesn't get you laid, whereas getting laid does earn the respect of other men. I'm married now, but I've never found interest in or knowledge about uniforms to be anything other than a net plus in the attracting-the-ladies department.

20082614447.png

IMO this board is closer to being enthusiasts about good design and what goes into the process rather than sports enthusiasm. For most sports fans, the farthest their opinion goes is based on whether their team wins or not. If a team introduces a new design and they win with it, they become fans of the new design. If not, they "run home to mama" and want the old design they grew up with. For most members of this board, aesthetics trumps performance. We're just a group of unique individuals interested in a niche subject.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Ballwonk is right. It defiinitely makes watching the game with the ladies a little bit more bearable when you can sit there and talk about the uniforms and whatnot. I still remember getting into a tiff (that's honestly the best word I could think of) about whether the Eagles or Cowboys were the best looking team.

With that said, I get no grief. Hell, when throwbacks were "in," I was the man since I basically knew all about the good looking and ACCURATE throwbacks. I could spot a fake in seconds and ridicule the guy for wearing a Babe Ruth throwback with his name on the back. :P

I don't get any grief from my friends, but I don't go off talking about how the Bears stripes don't all fit on the sleeve. If someone asks a uni-related question, I always have the answer or I'll correct them if they say something wrong. But that's about as far as I go talking about uniforms with my friends because I know they aren't that interested.

I do talk more with my dad though, he likes uniforms just not to the extent that I do. So we can talk about new uniforms, if we like a uniform, or about how he got his powder blue Penguins jersey made when he was a kid.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

One of my friends is actually kind of into this stuff, but the rest could care less. Not many of my friends are even really true sports fans. My dad kind of cares about this stuff, but not really. My mom and bro are always like "You're going on that dumb website again?" when I come to CCSLC, so yeah, they give me grief, but that's about it.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I'm basically known as the 'Encyclopedia of Worthless Crap' to most of my friends, so when I make a point about uniforms, my friends don't really think anything of it anymore. Actually, my friends always ask me about new hockey uniforms coming out.

Likewise.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

My encounters with this came mostly throughout college. My friends would stop by my room and see this website up all the time and eventually they all knew what it was and what it was for. They started just coming in and leaving when they saw it. Nobody understood my fascination with this stuff, and I'm not as hardcore as most of the people here, so I don't understand how people can accept them. If I'm ever at a sports bar or somebody's house watching a game I will occasionally point out little details or historical facts about logos or uniforms, but nobody cares because I try to keep it interesting. Sometimes my definition of 'interesting' is slightly off from others in the room and I just get blank stares, but that never hurt anybody. Someone that does appreciate my knowledge: My Mom. We made her NCAA picks yesterday based on the teams uniform colors. I just sat down with her and went through all 64 teams without looking. It makes things like that easier.

I don't know a single person in this small town of 1,000 who is even somewhat interested in sports logos, uniforms, or even just plain logos.

I usually get grief from my brother. I'll be looking at the site, when my he comes in and says "Chris Creamers Sports Logos Community" In this really annoying, nerdy voice. He'll ask "How do you even comment on a sports logo." My dad will come by "Whatcha lookin' at?" Even though I know he knows I'm looking here. I once tried to show him a Broncos concept I made (He's a Broncos fan) and he saw it and said "oh ya, I guess that's pretty cool. At school in English class, we had to write about our hobbies and then share it with another student. You guys should have heard some of the remarks: "You like design sports logos and uniforms? What a total newb." I had using Microsoft Paint down and then somebody went and told everybody, "hey look what he has down, Microsoft Paint, why don't you do something manly like everybody else like football and basketball". Ya I get remarks all the time about how this is all weird, but I love this place and all you guys that share the same interests I do. I will never leave this place for the rest of my life.

Ok, so I got carried away at the end. :P

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

My wife is in the "Good God, who cares?" club when it comes to unis and any other design. For example, another 'obsession' of my is airline paint schemes and she says the plane could be pink with green polka dots and she wouldn't care as long as she gets there safely and on time. With all that said, it's become a running joke between us now. Say we're watching the Colts. I'll say, "You know what I can't stand about those jerseys?" And she'll reply, "Let's see, the Colts...oh yeah, the stripes on the shoulders don't go all the way around." Then the next week the Panthers are on and all I have to do is glance at her and she'll say, "I know, I know, how come the Panthers' stripes go all the way around but nobody else's do?" :D

There is one exception to what she doesn't care about...she hates the Saints' all-black mono look.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

My girlfriend is worried about how much my jersey collection costs, but other than that, no one really complains. Some people aren't interested, so I don't talk about it with them, others are and we have conversations with substance about jersey and such.

Archived