Sports Logos

random_ax

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No grief here.

In fact...just since I've been out here in this desert dirt, my color sense/sports logo & uniform criticisms have rubbed off on two different people, one of them being my partner-in-crime over here, who now can tell the point size of a font just by looking at it (this from someone with no kind of artistic sense), and now can also spot differences between fake and real authentic jerseys. It's done got to where he can now notice certain hidden elements in logos and print design ads, namely the hidden arrow in the FedEx logo, which he now cannot stop seeing.

And...of course, the ex-ol' lady. She had a bit of an interest in football before we got into it, but since then and on up through now, she's now a uni critic. ^_^ (By the way, it should be mentioned that she really likes the tiger stripes on the Bengals' pants...and thinks the black pants of the Baltimore Ravens look like ass. Hard to argue with that one.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

My son who has been getting into sports hardcore tells me, "Logos and uniforms are the least important thing," (still, he'll wear a shirt I design or point out the banners or logos I've done for his team). At 8, he is an exceptional talent in a number of sports and loves talking numbers.

But he also gives me grief regarding art in general. He claims art is pointless and I remind him that numbers are essentially meaningless (without context).

Frankly, I rather argue with him about which uniforms of his beloved Chargers looks the best than get the I'm-not-listening nods from friends or family members.

I'm basically known as the 'Encyclopedia of Worthless Crap' to most of my friends, so when I make a point about uniforms, my friends don't really think anything of it anymore. Actually, my friends always ask me about new hockey uniforms coming out.

Likewise.

-Dan

Samezies

You guys are a not quite as geeky as the Star Wars geeks. But much more pompous.

Pompous in that we have a ridiculous knowledge in something that in the end really isn't that important, but we all enjoy it. This is, for a lot of us an area of small expertise that very few people have. Now, if I were on a message board with experts who like to discuss which Civil War Rifle they would've preferred then I would not be pompous at all...I'd be bored.

PvO6ZWJ.png

When I first came here my random outbursts got me quite a few eyebrow raises at why I cared so much about jerseys and what not.

Now most people have accepted that I care about them alot and my dad even talks to me about them sometimes, although he usually just mentions how he likes what the Flyers did with the retro. (He's a Philly fan)

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I have found over the years to just not talk about my color-obessions unless I'm talking to someone who is really into sports or graphic design, or something related.

I end up feeling like I come off as a raving lunatic otherwise.

I don't really know any other people who care about this stuff, let alone people who are interested in North American sports, except for a small few.

While slightly off topic, I used to get a bit of grief from my parents about being a "Mighty" Ducks fan - it's been nearly three years since they changed their name and they STILL call them that, despite the corrections I keep giving them.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I would have to say that, at least as far as this board goes, I am a casual logo enthusiast. I enjoy seeing and hearing about new logos and uniforms, but I have not ever found my self obsessing about number outlines or color discrepancies. However, I do find myself giving out more information that a lot of people care to hear when it comes to logos and uniforms, lol.

You guys are a not quite as geeky as the Star Wars geeks. But much more pompous.

It's true. We are a pompous lot, aren't we. Sometimes a little criticism isn't a bad thing.

I wont date a girl who cannot understand the logo/uniform obsession

You must be one lonely dude.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Oh, I get the looks when I comment on a uniform out loud... so I try not to. But, I'm just so anal.

At home, my wife is a lil more understanding, until she watches a hockey game. Then, she will spend the entire 2nd period complaining about the Edge jersey... especially when she sees Lapierre's "A" on top of that ridiculous stripe on the Avs jersey....

How are we pompous? Us talking about uniforms and logos and pointing things out to people is no more different than what car buffs do, or really anybody who has an interest in anything. It has nothing to do with us feeling more important; we just have information that we find interesting, and we provide it. So if you think having interests in general, and wanting to share your interest make you "pompous", then basically everyone is "pompous".

spacer.png

Nah, my friends & family are cool with it. My girlfriend's as obsessive about equestrian equiptment as I am with basketball stuff, and I've been into this so long everyone's used to it. I've been wearing throwbacks & vintage stuff since the early 90's, and like a few of you guys, was seen as something of a trendsetter when the throwback craze started (ironic, if you could see how I normally dress).

In fact, I get more crap for being an obsessive comic geek...

Hmmmm... my Star Wars collection is in the same room as all my jerseys and caps... Does that make me even more geeky and pompous?

Yeah, I'll always point out the minute details in logo changes and stuff. Everyone's like "who cares?" What really drives me crazy though is when a team gets a new identity (whether it just be the uniforms, or the logo, or whatever) and I point it out and my friends are like "it looks the same as it did before".

Example: When the Arizona Cardinals got their new logo, I printed out a picture of it, right next to the old one and showed it to my friend. He said "I looks almost exactly the same, what's the big change?".

Those things just drive me nuts.

Archived