Back In The Game?

Linus

Ok I am gonna risk upsetting God, Jesus, Siva, Guru Nanak, The Force and whatever else i might, but I shall add my two pennies from neutral Britain.

I think it makes more sense to have more Hockey teams in Canada than to have a team in Phoenix. There are probably other markets in the South that are less deserving of a franchise that have one right now, but its the Coyotes we are talking about at the moment. And this is one of those moments were Phoenix guys complaining sound like the guy who picked up a missing dollar from the ground then complain when it gets stolen off them. Its not that I don't have sympathy with Phoenix, but you got the Coyotes by a relocation, so it makes it harder to complain when the team wants to leave.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no way at this late stage in the year that a team can be relocated, have a suitable arena, merchandising, marketing, etc and play in the upcoming season. Balsillie may be allowed to purchase the team, or take over payments, or whatever he has to do under the Chapter 11 rules in court. He might have to keep the team in Phoenix for another year or more in order to get things arranged in Hamilton (unless they play at Copps) or Kitchener.

Give the fans of Phoenix two years and say "Prove me wrong!" Show that they want a hockey team by coming out and supporting them, regardless of performance, like true hockey fans.

I live in Seattle. You'd be surprised how quickly a pro sports team can up and move, irrespective of fan support.

Oklahoma City had a suitable arena. Southern Ontario does not at the moment (at least outside of the Leafs and Sabres territorial limits). That's a rather important distinction.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is no way at this late stage in the year that a team can be relocated, have a suitable arena, merchandising, marketing, etc and play in the upcoming season. Balsillie may be allowed to purchase the team, or take over payments, or whatever he has to do under the Chapter 11 rules in court. He might have to keep the team in Phoenix for another year or more in order to get things arranged in Hamilton (unless they play at Copps) or Kitchener.

Give the fans of Phoenix two years and say "Prove me wrong!" Show that they want a hockey team by coming out and supporting them, regardless of performance, like true hockey fans.

I live in Seattle. You'd be surprised how quickly a pro sports team can up and move, irrespective of fan support.

Oklahoma City had a suitable arena. Southern Ontario does not at the moment (at least outside of the Leafs and Sabres territorial limits). That's a rather important distinction.

Didn't Ottawa play a year or two in a ridiculously undersized / strangly configured arena until Corel Centre was opened? I get that expansion is different than a last-minute move, but I'm not sure the arena would be a big hindrance as long as a legit plan was in place to build a new one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Didn't Ottawa play a year or two in a ridiculously undersized / strangly configured arena until Corel Centre was opened? I get that expansion is different than a last-minute move, but I'm not sure the arena would be a big hindrance as long as a legit plan was in place to build a new one.

Just for the heck of it, Ottawa's rink was originally called The Palladium. Balsillie has the means to build his own rink whereever he wants. Something tells me the Coyotes will probably end up in Kansas City rather than Hamilton.

I saw, I came, I left.

The Labatt Centre in London can hold 9100, Kitchener's arena can hold like 6300, and Waterloo, to my knowledge, lacks an arena at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------

Read the First paragraph.

Yeah, I'd be quite upset about that if I was the league.

It may be, that if Reinsdorf does make a bid that is close to Balsillie's that keeps the team in Phoenix, he could get preference; Glendale is one of the largest creditors, and they stand to gain more from the team sticking around than they do from a one-time lump sum.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oklahoma City had a better arena, not suitable. You could still fit 15-20,000 people in the within-the-past-decade renovated Key Arena.

But it's neither here nor there -- Seattle was a fine fanbase for the Sonics. People showed up and attendance was fine. Fan support is no predictor of a team staying in a city if the owner is an a-hole.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Oklahoma City had a better arena, not suitable. You could still fit 15-20,000 people in the within-the-past-decade renovated Key Arena.

But it's neither here nor there -- Seattle was a fine fanbase for the Sonics. People showed up and attendance was fine. Fan support is no predictor of a team staying in a city if the owner is an a-hole.

Let me rephrase myself. Southern Ontario does not have a better or suitable barn outside of Hamilton's environs. (Yes, Ottawa's Civic Center that the Senators spent a couple of years in is larger than any barn in the area.)

Today, we are all otaku.

Let me rephrase myself. Southern Ontario does not have a better or suitable barn outside of Hamilton's environs. (Yes, Ottawa's Civic Center that the Senators spent a couple of years in is larger than any barn in the area.)

I thought the Civic Center only held around 6500 at that point.

I may be thinking of the Calgary Corral, however.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Your memory of Ottawa appears to be correct.

For that matter Tampa Bay spent its first year in a similarly-sized facility.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If Basille can wrangle the team away from phoenix they will do the same thing carolina did...like carolina playing in greensboro till the rink in raleigh was read, the coyotes will play in hamilton until an arena is built in the kitchener/waterloo area...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Just for the heck of it, Ottawa's rink was originally called The Palladium. Balsillie has the means to build his own rink whereever he wants. Something tells me the Coyotes will probably end up in Kansas City rather than Hamilton.

I was thinking this too when I first heard the news, but didn't KC just get a new CHL team?

EDIT: Never mind, the CHL team will be playing in Independence. I dunno, a team in Kansas City would be great, cause they need a team to fill the Sprint Center, but it seems Besille is intent on getting a team to southern Ontario.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I thought the Civic Center only held around 6500 at that point.

I may be thinking of the Calgary Corral, however.

Civic Center was renovated in 1992 to accommodate the Senators for 3 years. They had added luxury boxes and narrowed seats slightly to get its capacity over 10,000.

Wiki link

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

www.makeitseven.ca

Balsille has set up a website to show your support. I signed up :)

My bad if this was already posted, didnt feel like looking through 9 pages to find it.

beLEAF

www.makeitseven.ca

Balsille has set up a website to show your support. I signed up :)

My bad if this was already posted, didnt feel like looking through 9 pages to find it.

Aw, how cute. It's even in the Phoenix Coyotes colors!

[/sarcasm]

Note: I must be on drugs or something. This was my second sarcasm comment of the day.

Bettman just hates the fact that he tried to make hockey succeed in these small hockey market cities and he failed.

I cant wait for the day that Bettman is out of the NHL. Hopefully a guy like Paul Kelly (NHLPA Head), a guy with hockey smarts, will take over as commish and move the failing markets to areas where they can succeed.

beLEAF

Bettman just hates the fact that he tried to make hockey succeed in these small hockey market cities and he failed.

I cant wait for the day that Bettman is out of the NHL. Hopefully a guy like Paul Kelly (NHLPA Head), a guy with hockey smarts, will take over as commish and move the failing markets to areas where they can succeed.

I don't believe the NHL is in a market where it can't succeed. I really don't.

I also don't think Bettman hates anything. By and large, Bettman's expansion has been a success, whether every market has worked out or not.

I can't stand the complaining about Bettman. Much like Selig, he's done far from perfect, but has still overseen the NHL through a number of triumphs, has it on it's way back up, and whether he's an original "hockey guy" or not, he cares deeply about the sport now.

Long live Gary Bettman!

Terrible website there.

Ballsillie seems like a slimeball to me.

Keep the team in Phoenix, they can survive there if the product improves (and they seem to have a talent base that could make that happen).

If he is a slimeball, then he should fit right in! :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived