New Glens Falls AHL team named

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though they weren't going to be affiliated with Detroit, I was still hoping for the Adirondack Red Wings.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Makes sense, cause isn't this only a temporary relocation while they build a new arena in Philly?

No, it's not intended to be temporary. The Flyers sold the team off to a group from Pittsburgh that owns other Major/Minor league teams in different sports.

Does anyone know the reason why a town of 14,000 now has an AHL team? I live in Erie, PA and go to school in Akron, OH, both cities are pretty good size and I would LOVE to see an AHL team in one of them. Erie loves the Otters of the OHL and I'm sure Akron would support a team. I know they are planning a new arena for my Zips so maybe that will attract a team...I mean if towns of 12k (hershey) and 14k can have a team why can't we?

Does anyone know the reason why a town of 14,000 now has an AHL team?

Because the old-school, East-Coast, bus-league droolers demand it.

This name works for a couple of reasons. First, ownership gets to be lazy and doesn't have to develop a new identity. Second, it's a great logo and name, and it would've been a shame to see it depart. Now, let's do something about those Edge atrocities they've been wearing...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm sorry -- I think the "Phantoms" name needs to be left behind when the team moves. Teams change their names all the time when they move, especially in the AHL. Think of something original.

philly.png

Wait, there are only 14,000 people in Glens Falls? Is this like a Hershey Bears deal, where they're a de facto Harrisburg team? What else is near Glens Falls? Albany? They have a team, don't they?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For those freaking about population size, the MSA actually has 124,345 people in it. :rolleyes:

As for Akron...look North if you want AHL hockey. Cleveland has a team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Makes sense, cause isn't this only a temporary relocation while they build a new arena in Philly?

I have heard nothing about a new arena AHL-caliber arena in Philadelphia or South Jersey.

Don't know why people keep saying this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have heard nothing about a new arena AHL-caliber arena in Philadelphia or South Jersey.

Don't know why people keep saying this.

Because they probably mean Lehigh Valley.

Doesn't look like that'll be built for quite some time...

bYhYmxh.png

Wait, there are only 14,000 people in Glens Falls? Is this like a Hershey Bears deal, where they're a de facto Harrisburg team? What else is near Glens Falls? Albany? They have a team, don't they?

Glens Falls is in the northern part of the Capital Region, which includes the resort town of Lake George and the racing city of Saratoga Springs. There are plenty of fans from the four northern counties - Essex, Washington, Warren, and Saratoga - along with those coming from Rutland county VT.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

For those freaking about population size, the MSA actually has 124,345 people in it. :rolleyes:

As for Akron...look North if you want AHL hockey. Cleveland has a team.

that still isn't very big at all, if you look at metro Erie is at least 300,000 and Akron above 600,000

and the Monsters, I think AHL teams do not fair well in big cities, so they would be a better fit to move

Hm. Okay, cool. Upstate New York is kind of a mystery to me. Nonetheless, 125,000 seems pretty small to split between the Phantoms and the River Rats, even if it's a hockey-obsessed region.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does anyone know the reason why a town of 14,000 now has an AHL team? I live in Erie, PA and go to school in Akron, OH, both cities are pretty good size and I would LOVE to see an AHL team in one of them. Erie loves the Otters of the OHL and I'm sure Akron would support a team. I know they are planning a new arena for my Zips so maybe that will attract a team...I mean if towns of 12k (hershey) and 14k can have a team why can't we?

I almost took a road trip to see an Otters game a few years back... until I read the camera policy at the arena, nooooo thanks. Settled for a game at Jerry Uht instead, good times

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I almost took a road trip to see an Otters game a few years back... until I read the camera policy at the arena, nooooo thanks. Settled for a game at Jerry Uht instead, good times

Ya its so stupid! I have no idea why they have that rule? Tullio Arena is getting kinda run down, I'd suggest making a trip in a few years after the renovations are done. It gets crazy LOUD in there so be ready for that! Jerry Uht Park is kinda nice tho, but not many people go to watch the Seawolves, at least when I'm there.

Archived