Vancouver Pacers?

kiwi_canadian

Conseco is a beautiful facility.

And that's all I have to add.

Rather dark and cavern like in the upper bowl though...

This one's a non-story.

The Pacers aren't happy with their lease at Conseco Fieldhouse, and want a new deal. They're using the Aquilini group as leverage to get a new building. They aren't going anywhere, and Aquilini will be, if anything, a minority partner.

Famous last words...(as in, the same thing most Sonics fans thought when Clay Bennett stepped up to buy the team)

Well, they were not satisfied WITH Key Arena. The Pacers are just not happy with their LEASE at Conseco. Big difference. Conseco is a high quality arena in a high basketball market and therefore the league will do whatever it takes to keep them there. Seattle's arena itself was the problem there... added to the owner who really just wanted a team to move. Say Bennett hadn't bought the Sonics and now wanted to buy the Pacers because of their unhappiness with their lease. David Stern would rather never have a team in OKC than allow him to move the Pacers from Indy and Conseco.

It should be important to consider that nobody goes to Pacer games anymore. Partly because the team sucks. Partly because it employs "scary black people". And partly because Indiana's love of basketball is more specifically concentrated on the high school level.

There is no truth to the "scary black people" comment. You are attempting to stereotype Hoosiers as racists. You are sorely wrong. The reason that team hasn't drawn is losing and that rash of run-ins with the law. It didn't matter the race of the players involved, just what they did and what they were charged with. People turned away from a team they saw as one that was on the wrong side of the law a lot.

I've spent much of the last 5 years in Indiana. If I'm stereotyping it's based on personal experience.

/I've learned that in the Midwest "criminal" is typically another euphemism for "black".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one's a non-story.

The Pacers aren't happy with their lease at Conseco Fieldhouse, and want a new deal. They're using the Aquilini group as leverage to get a new building. They aren't going anywhere, and Aquilini will be, if anything, a minority partner.

Famous last words...(as in, the same thing most Sonics fans thought when Clay Bennett stepped up to buy the team)

Well, they were not satisfied WITH Key Arena. The Pacers are just not happy with their LEASE at Conseco. Big difference. Conseco is a high quality arena in a high basketball market and therefore the league will do whatever it takes to keep them there. Seattle's arena itself was the problem there... added to the owner who really just wanted a team to move. Say Bennett hadn't bought the Sonics and now wanted to buy the Pacers because of their unhappiness with their lease. David Stern would rather never have a team in OKC than allow him to move the Pacers from Indy and Conseco.

It should be important to consider that nobody goes to Pacer games anymore. Partly because the team sucks. Partly because it employs "scary black people". And partly because Indiana's love of basketball is more specifically concentrated on the high school level.

There is no truth to the "scary black people" comment. You are attempting to stereotype Hoosiers as racists. You are sorely wrong. The reason that team hasn't drawn is losing and that rash of run-ins with the law. It didn't matter the race of the players involved, just what they did and what they were charged with. People turned away from a team they saw as one that was on the wrong side of the law a lot.

I've spent much of the last 5 years in Indiana. If I'm stereotyping it's based on personal experience.

/I've learned that in the Midwest "criminal" is typically another euphemism for "black".

Yeah, well I was born and raised in Indiana, and spent 25 years of my life there. While some people in the Midwest do think that way, the majority do not. I'm guessing you've been in rural Indiana?

This one's a non-story.

Yeah, well I was born and raised in Indiana, and spent 25 years of my life there. While some people in the Midwest do think that way, the majority do not. I'm guessing you've been in rural Indiana?

Greencastle and Bloomington.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pacers moving to Vancouver? Yeeeeaaahhhh, let's move a team to a place where the NBA has already failed. This ain't happening.

Then, how about moving them to Fort Wayne? :D

I saw, I came, I left.

As I mentioned before, MakeItTwo.ca is still available. Marketing opportunities abound for one of you enterprising Canuckistanis.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

As I mentioned before, MakeItTwo.ca is still available. Marketing opportunities abound for one of you enterprising Canuckistanis.

And I told you, Vancouver simply can't support the Titans AND a professional team. We simply don't have a large enough scary black people base to draw from.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

VANCOUVER NBA

This all played out in the press/online a few weeks ago, or so I thought. Mr. Canuck's "Not @ this time" response could mean he'd pursue an NBA team in better economic times. This is likely a great time to buy an NBA team @ a bargain rate. "The Amazing Fabwelll Predicts!" maybe the OKC Sonic Thunder move has triggered a Mini-NBA Relocation-arama where the potential arena profits drive the whole crazy biz we call sport. The notion of Indiana withOUT NBA basketball is absurd, I tell ye all! Then again, I once said the same of LA & the NFL . . . sigh . . . anyway . . . B)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Pacers moving to Vancouver? Yeeeeaaahhhh, let's move a team to a place where the NBA has already failed. This ain't happening.

How many times do I have to tell you THE GRIZZLIES WERE NEVER GIVEN A FAIR CHANCE IN VANCOUVER!

Check the history, and you'll see...Yes, I hope the Pacers stay in town, but it's the Grizzlies that need to find a way out of their lease in Memphis (the Tigers outdraw them at the FedEx Forum) and go back where they belong (Maybe them and OKC could do a division swap)

bYhYmxh.png

How many times do I have to tell you THE GRIZZLIES WERE NEVER GIVEN A FAIR CHANCE IN VANCOUVER!

Check the history, and you'll see...Yes, I hope the Pacers stay in town, but it's the Grizzlies that need to find a way out of their lease in Memphis (the Tigers outdraw them at the FedEx Forum) and go back where they belong (Maybe them and OKC could do a division swap)

OK...I'll bite.

Is there any locale that the Grizzlies franchise can truly claim to "belong" to (as in established a lasting history and fanbase.)

Today, we are all otaku.

This one's a non-story.

Greencastle and Bloomington.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pacers currently own the rights to events at Conseco Fieldhouse (a.k.a. Pacers Sports and Entertainment). The Simons want nothing to do with the other events any more because of the economy. The CIB (Capital Improvement Board) is what runs at least Lucas Oil if not Conseco. BTW, Conseco's a nice facility all in all but I don't think it's one of the top arenas in America. I've been to a few I like better (Washington, Columbus, and Cleveland) but that has a lot to do with the atmosphere of those places and how it's better than the atmosphere at a Pacers game. The fans don't want to come out and support a :censored: ty team with :censored: ty attitude (and behavior) and I don't blame 'em. I go down there twice a year to see the Cavs when they come to visit and maybe one other game a year but by no means am I a Pacers or NBA fan.

And yes, the Hoosiers that live in Indiana care a lot more about HS ball and College ball than Pro Ball. Honestly, I wouldn't blame them if the new owners (if there will be any) choose to relocate the team.

Oh, and what's the town here that's been associated with all the KKK stuff?

And the Pacers have a pep band, called the Pacers Pep Band... as I like to say The Pacers Pep Band-A High School Band for a High School Basketball Team

6fQjS3M.png

the Pacers have a pep band, called the Pacers Pep Band... as I like to say The Pacers Pep Band-A High School Band for a High School Basketball Team

Sassy!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Oh, and what's the town here that's been associated with all the KKK stuff?

Terre Haute IIRC.

Today, we are all otaku.

Unfortunately, the stereotype is mostly correct. Indiana is racist as Hell—I've lived here all my life, and I hear the 'n' word about 2000 times a day. It's pretty much common knowledge that Latinos, Hispanics, Asians and Blacks are treated like second-class citizens here—despite joshuaming's best efforts to have you believe otherwise.

Sigs are for sissies.

Chucky, you are also in Southern Indiana....and yeah there are definitely some racist people in that area. I guess I was lucky to live in areas that weren't very racist (I lived in Columbus and Indianapolis).

To be honest the most racist city I've lived in....is New Orleans. It goes all directions here. There is racism, reverse racism, you name it. With some people it is engrained and learned from parents, and with others its retaliation, so on and so forth. For example, if I go into a fast food restaurant and order food, it generally takes a bit longer than it should to get my food, especially if I am wearing a Tulane shirt. Of course thats not a particularly bad example, but an example nonetheless. But then again, its also not everyone like you guys are making it out to be. There are racist people everywhere in this country. Unfortunately, it probably won't ever change due to societal norms, what you learn from your parents, etc... You certainly don't stereotype an entire state as racist.

You guys are definitely right in the fact that when you go into the smaller cities and towns in Indiana it definitely shows up, but the stereotype isn't as correct as you guys make it out to be. Let me know when Gov. Daniels says he wants to make Indiana a Chocolate State and the Lt. Gov says he wants to keep it Vanilla [for those who don't know what I am talking about...see Ray Nagin's infamous Chocolate city speech and the King of Rex's (King of Mardi Gras....largest Krewe in the city I believe) reply to him].

I'd like to see the NBA in Vancouver again. They weren't given a fair chance. Stu Jackson is a colossal idiot...just look at how he hands out suspensions in the league.

Grizzlies management was just absolutely brutal...look at their draft picks.

1995 - Bryant Reeves (6)

1996 - Abdur Rahim (3), Roy Rogers (22)

1997 - Antonio Daniels (4)

1998 - Mike Bibby (2)

1999 - Steve Francis (2)

2000 - Stromile Swift (2)

I think Vancouver has the fan base to support a basketball team. It would be popular with families since it cost a average family of 4 over 100 dollars to go to a Canucks game, and even though the Canucks have a big minority fan base Basketball is more popular than Hockey with the large Chinese population in Vancouver. Vancouver also has a ton of bandwagon fans who would support the team if it was ever successful.

I think Vancouver has the fan base to support a basketball team. It would be popular with family since it cost a average family of 4 over 100 dollars to go to a Canucks game, and even though the Canucks have a big minority fan base Basketball is more popular than Hockey with the large Chinese population in Vancouver. Vancouver also has a ton of bandwagon fans who would support the team if it was ever successful.

I spent four days in Vancouver and saw exactly one guy wearing Canucks apparel.

I was surprised how little presence the team had in the downtown core. I didn't get out to the Vancouver suburbs -- and maybe Canadian team support is different -- but I was shocked how little people seemed to care about the Canucks.

(However, the manager of a restaurant we went to raved over my newly purchased Johnny Canuck hat, so perhaps I'm off a bit...)

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived