Vancouver Pacers?

kiwi_canadian

As someone who (reluctantly) goes to a small private school in Indiana, I wouldn't want to be playing Carmel

You wouldn't want to be on the bus ride home with them, either.

That's comedic gold if you know the story at all...

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=12023541

Oh we've had so much fun with that. I live in Fishers (and Carmel... yay divorced parents) and all around we've had a hell of a lot of fun with that (and still will). Carmel is like the Yankees to say the least around here.

Unless, of course, the Senator retires and therefore no longer has to worry about angry Wisconsinites voting him out of office.

Even though I've found myself slightly caring about the Bucks again, I could still do without them. The NBA has been seen as a joke around here ever since the Bucks got dicked out of the 2001 Finals. We'd still have our three local college programs and losing the NBA would probably make us a front-runner for an NHL or MLS team... epscially the latter since it was the Bradley Center's ownership that prevented the would-be MLS soccer park from going up across the street and wound up killing the bid altogether.

Which would open up the possibility of an NHL team in MKE right? I really think that could work.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The move's not gonna happen. Indiana is too much of a basketball state. That said, there is still the possibility of a team relocating there. I can see New Orleans or Milwaukee moving to Vancouver. It's not likely, but more likely than the other teams.

You missed my, and others', deconstruction of Indiana's basketball fandom.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Which would open up the possibility of an NHL team in MKE right? I really think that could work.

Might have to indemnify the Blackhawks and/or Wild something fierce.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

What...? The Bucks, Bulls, and T-Wolves all play in those 3 cities now... so do the Brewers, Twins, Cubs, and White Sox... and arguably the Vikings, Packers, and Bears all do...

I'm sure that less people would be attending Blackhawks games if there was a team in Milwaukee :rolleyes:

6fQjS3M.png

The move's not gonna happen. Indiana is too much of a basketball state. That said, there is still the possibility of a team relocating there. I can see New Orleans or Milwaukee moving to Vancouver. It's not likely, but more likely than the other teams.

So? You think I care what you say?

In some cases it might actually be important. Such as when it comes from a guy who has spent most of the last 6 years in the state.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In some cases it might actually be important. Such as when it comes from a guy who has spent most of the last 6 years in the state.

You must really enjoy being a pain in the neck, moron.

What...? The Bucks, Bulls, and T-Wolves all play in those 3 cities now... so do the Brewers, Twins, Cubs, and White Sox... and arguably the Vikings, Packers, and Bears all do...

I'm sure that less people would be attending Blackhawks games if there was a team in Milwaukee :rolleyes:

Apparently, one of the reasons the NHL gave for shooting down Milwaukee's expansion bid in the early 90s was that we're supposedly already served by the Hawks. Granted, these are the same idiots who thought Tampa, Miami and Anaheim were better candidates than a city that was drawing close to 10,000 fans to IHL games and is to the Frozen Four what Indianapolis and San Antonio are the the Final Four. But now if the possibility of the NHL were to ever come up in Milwaukee again, the Hawks may have some legal recourse to prevent that from happening. Hopefully the Chicago ownership isn't as idiotic as the league and notes how Brewers and Cubs fans enjoy following their team to the other ballpark and recognize that a Milwaukee team can only work in their favor.

Apparently, one of the reasons the NHL gave for shooting down Milwaukee's expansion bid in the early 90s was that we're supposedly already served by the Hawks. Granted, these are the same idiots who thought Tampa, Miami and Anaheim were better candidates than a city that was drawing close to 10,000 fans to IHL games and is to the Frozen Four what Indianapolis and San Antonio are the the Final Four. But now if the possibility of the NHL were to ever come up in Milwaukee again, the Hawks may have some legal recourse to prevent that from happening. Hopefully the Chicago ownership isn't as idiotic as the league and notes how Brewers and Cubs fans enjoy following their team to the other ballpark and recognize that a Milwaukee team can only work in their favor.

The scuttling of Milwaukee's bid was almost entirely Bill Wirtz's doing. Now that Wirtz is no longer with us, perhaps reason could take over regarding Milwaukee as a potential NHL market.

Today, we are all otaku.

The scuttling of Milwaukee's bid was almost entirely Bill Wirtz's doing. Now that Wirtz is no longer with us, perhaps reason could take over regarding Milwaukee as a potential NHL market.

What was that all about anyway? I only vaguely remember hearing about some bad blood between the Wirtzes and the Pettit family.

What was that all about anyway? I only vaguely remember hearing about some bad blood between the Wirtzes and the Pettit family.

That's better than the explanation I always got, which boiled down to "Bill Wirtz is a greedy, miserly, small-minded, and short-sighted bastard."

Today, we are all otaku.

Of course, now Milwaukee's problem is a 20+ year-old downtown arena and nonexistent public will at either the state or local levels to finance a new one. Not to mention lack of available real estate downtown for a third sports arena, unless they raze Bradley Center (unlikely) and/or the former MECCA, aka US Cellular Arena, next door (borderline sacrilegious; then again the same could have been said of County Stadium). If an NHL arena ever gets built, my guess is it will be either out by Miller Park on the west side of town, or out even farther west in Waukesha County (which contains most of Milwaukee's suburbs and exurbs, has a good deal more undeveloped land even along major highway corridors like I-94, and where a big chunk of the season ticket base would reside).

CCSLC signature.png

You must really enjoy being a pain in the neck, moron.

Watch the personal attacks, and read the whole thread before responding.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

With the news of the Nets moving to Brooklyn, I'm jonesin' for more relocations in the major pro sports. Even though the Pacers move to Vancouver is unlikely, I still hope they move.

On a side note, if Milwaukee were to gain an NHL team, I would be ecstatic. The Wild have no real rival at the moment, but a Border Battle would bring interest-levels up in my neighborhood.

Of course, now Milwaukee's problem is a 20+ year-old downtown arena and nonexistent public will at either the state or local levels to finance a new one. Not to mention lack of available real estate downtown for a third sports arena, unless they raze Bradley Center (unlikely) and/or the former MECCA, aka US Cellular Arena, next door (borderline sacrilegious; then again the same could have been said of County Stadium). If an NHL arena ever gets built, my guess is it will be either out by Miller Park on the west side of town, or out even farther west in Waukesha County (which contains most of Milwaukee's suburbs and exurbs, has a good deal more undeveloped land even along major highway corridors like I-94, and where a big chunk of the season ticket base would reside).

Still though, you've gotta think in a more attendance-based league, an arena isn't as huge of a deal. The NHL version of the Admirals would definitely be more successful than the Coyotes, Panthers, Islanders, or Thrashers are now.

6fQjS3M.png

That's better than the explanation I always got, which boiled down to "Bill Wirtz is a greedy, miserly, small-minded, and short-sighted bastard."

Well, that is the truth by pretty much all accounts (and a pretty good reason to have bad blood with someone :D )

Still, as out of his mind that Wirtz was (again, not a stretch by any means), responsibility still falls on the league for drinking his kool-aid. The idea of Milwaukee being part of Chicago's market is no more ridiculous than claiming Boston or Phily as part of NYC.

Of course, now Milwaukee's problem is a 20+ year-old downtown arena and nonexistent public will at either the state or local levels to finance a new one. Not to mention lack of available real estate downtown for a third sports arena

Actually, there's a big vacant lot right across the street from the Bradley Center that was supposed to be the site of the Harley museum, then the MLS stadium (til the BC's ownership put the clamps on that one). As far as the BC being too old... I'm not sure that's as much of a problem now as it would've been 5-10 years ago. With the economy being what it is, any proposal to spend public money on a stadium for a privately-held franchise would be political suicide. It's only a matter of time before team owners are forced to accept this and stop expecting to be courted with shiny new facilities.

And, FWIW, aside from the lack of bells and whistles that became standard on late 90s and 21st century arenas, the Bradley Center has been maintained very well and certainly doesn't look its age. It was also built specifically for hockey (which is why it's such a crappy place to watch a basketball game). I would hope that eventually, one of the owners of these money-hemorrhaging sun belt teams decides that even without a brand new arena, a decently-sized traditional hockey market is still better than what they're doing now.

If an NHL arena ever gets built, my guess is it will be either out by Miller Park on the west side of town, or out even farther west in Waukesha County (which contains most of Milwaukee's suburbs and exurbs, has a good deal more undeveloped land even along major highway corridors like I-94, and where a big chunk of the season ticket base would reside).

There's a reason that land is still undeveloped... Milwaukee's suburbanites prefer to live in parking lots and religiously protest any development that's not another paint-by-numbers subdivision.

As a Blackhawks fan and a Wolves fan, I'd love to see the NHL Admirals finally arrive. Despite all the "Dee-troit Sucks" in the arena, I still feel like the Hawks' last truly bitter rival was the North Stars, and a Hawks-Ads matchup seems like it could revive some of that Norris Division-caliber animosity. And having a division of Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, St. Louis, and (Columbus, or Nashville, or Kansas City, whatever) just sounds fantastic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Still though, you've gotta think in a more attendance-based league, an arena isn't as huge of a deal. The NHL version of the Admirals would definitely be more successful than the Coyotes, Panthers, Islanders, or Thrashers are now.

You know what the Islanders' main problem is, though? Besides the fact they're barely a winning team. Just sayin' :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

You know what the Islanders' main problem is, though? Besides the fact they're barely a winning team. Just sayin' :P

Fair enough. :P

The point of the comment though was that I think Milwaukeeites would still go watch the NHL Admirals with or without a new arena. I've never been to the Bradley Center, but I was surprised when I learned its 20+ years old.

6fQjS3M.png

If an NHL arena ever gets built, my guess is it will be either out by Miller Park on the west side of town, or out even farther west in Waukesha County (which contains most of Milwaukee's suburbs and exurbs, has a good deal more undeveloped land even along major highway corridors like I-94, and where a big chunk of the season ticket base would reside).

Never thought I'd see the day somebody suggested putting an NHL team in Mukwonago.

If Milwaukee sports fans can find a place in their hearts for the Me, somewhere amidst Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Packers, Marquette, Packers, and Packers, then I'm all for it. Call me crazy, but hockey teams should be placed near frozen bodies of water.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived