Pensacola Ice Flyers logo finalists

Geoff

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which of these four logo designs for the new Ice Flyers hockey team do you prefer? (NOTE: This polling of our readership is for entertainment purposes only; the results will not be used to select the new Ice Flyers logo.)

I voted for #2.

That was entertaining.

Everyone loves a roundel.

PNJ says they wont be used for selecting the logo but Kerr has said that he will take into consideration the fan vote. ie. If there's a landslide favorite, even if it's not Kerr's favorite he will consider the fact that the people buying merch like that certain logo.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

I voted for three as well. #2 second, and 4 not too far behind. #1? Gradients on almost every part of the logo makes for easily the worst of the bunch.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

So wait...they go from Ice Pilots to Ice Flyers??? (Yes I know it's two different leagues, but, still...)

Can they just leave the "Ice" piece out of it altogether? I mean, it ain't that hard to figure out that it's for a hockey team. It ain't like Pensacola has a wealth of sports teams that call it home. If they're even still playing down there, the Pelicans baseball team is the only other one I know of.

All that said...left up to me, I'd do the pretty obvious thing and name the friggin' team the friggin' Blue Angels already. If they gon' use Blue Angel imagery, they may as well use the daggone nickname, as well. I seriously don't think the Blues would have an issue with that. If they did...well then shoot-name the team the Pilots. Cut and dry, pure and simple. Plus, alliteration counts for something, you know?

(And yes, as a native Pensacolian, I do have a strong opinion on this matter.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Pels are still there and there's a few semi-pro football teams and at least one rugby club. They never gave a reason why the "Ice" was used but they did get permission to use "Flyers". Maybe Philly said, "Ok, you can use it but it has to be different enough." I know that's what they said about the logos.

dgnmrwrw, those are really good. If your logos were in the finalist, I probably would have voted for them.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

#1 is downright bad, IMHO.

#2 is decent. I think it could use some color tweaking.

#3 is more like an illustration or a sticker you'd see on a kid's lunchbox. Not a good typeface choice either.

#4 could surely do without the gradient. I also don't like that 'Pensacola' is sheared at a different degree than 'Ice Flyers.' The crossbar on the F stretching across also seems very forced. And the straws--yes, straws, because that's what they look like right now--should taper in so they look like trails instead of stems. I do like this one more than the rest, though. And the P secondary is great.

DGN,

Yours takes the cake in my book, and is far better in execution than any of the available candidates. It's a shame they are not considering yours, their loss.

The only thing I'm concerned with though is in the winged-patch secondary, that 'ICE FLYERS' wordmark may get lost in embroidery. Maybe you could do without the wordmark atop, and just hold the stars in the center there.

Also, I think you can afford to thicken the blue outlining in the pilot secondary, it looks good, but I believe that would make it less illustrative and more logo-esque. You could also probably ditch the yellow outline on the circling wordmarks, and maybe even the silver accent. I vote for yours. Not that it really matters what you vote for, they've probably already got #1 down as what they're going with.

I like #3, but the propeller should be spinning so it looks like it's flying, and maybe a couple of streaks to suggest movement.

I don't mind the non-spinning propeller. The Houston Aeros logo doesn't have one and that one doesn't bother me either. But I can see where you're coming from. Would be cool to see a version with spinning propeller for :censored:s and giggles.

So wait...they go from Ice Pilots to Ice Flyers??? (Yes I know it's two different leagues, but, still...)

Can they just leave the "Ice" piece out of it altogether? I mean, it ain't that hard to figure out that it's for a hockey team. It ain't like Pensacola has a wealth of sports teams that call it home. If they're even still playing down there, the Pelicans baseball team is the only other one I know of.

All that said...left up to me, I'd do the pretty obvious thing and name the friggin' team the friggin' Blue Angels already. If they gon' use Blue Angel imagery, they may as well use the daggone nickname, as well. I seriously don't think the Blues would have an issue with that. If they did...well then shoot-name the team the Pilots. Cut and dry, pure and simple. Plus, alliteration counts for something, you know?

(And yes, as a native Pensacolian, I do have a strong opinion on this matter.)

Pensacola Pilots is so much better than either "Ice Pilots" or "Ice Flyers".

Don't care for any of the wordmarks, so looking just at the chest logos, I love the idea of the plane in #3, but there's something off in the execusion. Sticks as bombs just doesn't quite work. So #2 is my favorite, although #3 could easily be tweaked to top the list.

Archived