Baylor Officially Unveils New Football Uniforms...

3 and OUT

Eh, I don't mind it on first glance. The fonts and layout on the front are a little cluttered. The quazi-sleeve/shoulder stripes are... weird. The white helmet and very light gold are a little bit of weak sauce. But it's not terrible.

To try and defend the side-panel-stripey thing, and this entire templated "mess," I'll probably show my age. However, I was never enamored with the last look. Clean, crisp, plain, "classic," for sure. However, it was very, very, very plain and traditional, but without the unbroken cycle of use like, say...Alabama, Army, Navy, or Notre Dame. I can respect not having any piping, templating, crazy panels, and what not...but going completely plain for the sake of trying to look old-school is not exactly better, in my book. We rail against templating because it makes schools look alike...but without stripes, trim, etc., a world of teams looking like last year's BU set would have driven me to distraction.

I guess that's also why I don't always get the gushing over traditional looks like ND, Army, and all. Unless you've grown up with that as a constant, and you can assign value to the history of a team in a look...it's just a look. Kids who grow accustomed to Duke basketball in 10 shades of black, Oregon changing uniform combos 12x a year, and the Mets never using orange may get just as attached to that "tradition" as the Domers having no logos on the helmets. It doesn't change that a color is or isn't in a scheme, a logo is or isn't on a helmet, etc. And keeping traditional looks in a vaccuum, to someone new to sports (10-15 years)...sometimes they just look blah.

That being said, some trim--from a side panel to a stripe to a funky whatever that thing is on the Baylor uni--changes a generic, no-frills top to something a little different. Is it an awesome uniform element? Not necessarily. It's just a point of differentiation. While they may share a template with a few teams, they don't have the same style as many...which I can kind of applaud. Now if we start going overboard, or do outlandish changes, I may clamor for the 08 set again, because there's different and then there's Oregon of the previous seasons...but for now, different at least gets a "meh."

Again, all in all a pretty lateral movement. There is some fail here, no doubt, but changing things up from a very plain look doesn't bother me too terribly much. We'll see how I feel in a few days, or when they hit the field though.

By the way, I didn't wanna do another "let's badmouth tradition" ramble...that was my way for attempting to defend the side panel thingies, as requested...and in a way that might make a little sense without making me sound like I'm drinking Nike kool-aid.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

These days, 9 out of 10 college football debuts are combination of boring and ugly. This isn't the one.

That side thing is just so stupid. Can ANYBODY tell me why anyone would like that?

Also, why does Nike always do the modern uni update and then stick the traditional looking helmet on top?

I've always wondered why all parts of the uniform have become more modern-looking except for the design of the helmet. For example, why does this helmet:

1.jpg

go with this uniform set?

jerseys07-746177.jpg

Makes no sense to me.

These NEW uniforms are weak and nothing Original about them. The Big 12 which has some of the best unis in college (Texas, OU, Mizzou, etc.) just took a serious turn in the wrong direction. Hell, even OK State's new unis are better then these.
'

That's a weird list of three to put together

These days, 9 out of 10 college football debuts are combination of boring and ugly. This isn't the one.

That side thing is just so stupid. Can ANYBODY tell me why anyone would like that?

Also, why does Nike always do the modern uni update and then stick the traditional looking helmet on top?

I've always wondered why all parts of the uniform have become more modern-looking except for the design of the helmet. For example, why does this helmet:

1.jpg

jerseys07-746177.jpg

Makes no sense to me.

I think people are much more attached to helmets than uniforms and are much less likely to make changes to something to which they are so attached.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The shade of gold is really light. When I first saw the gold jersey, I honestly thought it was another white jersey.

On the topic of gold jerseys, whenever a team has a gold alt(or home like UCF), why is the gold way lighter than on the helmets and pants? I know that metallics are the reason, but couldn't the teams just darken the gold for the jersey?

Didn't Baylor just get new uniforms?

That shade of vegas gold is weak.

It looks like Ginger Ale.

I do believe I saw Navy wear all gold against Temple circa 1997. It was somewhere between 96-98. The golds didn't match, but I liked the effort.

I like what Baylor did, except the pant strips/pipping. Solid jerseys like last year would have worked with the stripped pants or solid white pants. I want to see the white helmet and pants with the green and gold jerseys. The white/green/white combo would remind me of USF's alternate jersey from the St. Pete bowl. Those were nice uni's.

These NEW uniforms are weak and nothing Original about them. The Big 12 which has some of the best unis in college (Texas, OU, Mizzou, etc.) just took a serious turn in the wrong direction. Hell, even OK State's new unis are better then these.
'

That's a weird list of three to put together

Why, because everybody has to like either modern or traditional, and hate the other no matter what?

MegatronSig2.jpg

[img removed]

[img removed]

Makes no sense to me.

I think people are much more attached to helmets than uniforms and are much less likely to make changes to something to which they are so attached.

That, and helmets are often used in promotional materials and by media outlets, so it wouldn't be practical to have to update all that stuff all the time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think taking out the unnecessary black accents to the jerseys would have made them way better, but overall better than I expected (even if it's an old Nike template)

Has anyone used an all gold alternate uniform before?

I remember seeing a disgusting all-gold Pitt uniform several years ago. I believe they were playing Louisville who was wearing the white-black-black set.

I think taking out the unnecessary black accents to the jerseys would have made them way better, but overall better than I expected (even if it's an old Nike template)

I remember seeing a disgusting all-gold Pitt uniform several years ago. I believe they were playing Louisville who was wearing the white-black-black set.

Purdue

Also i vividly remember Vanderbilt wearing all-gold vs. Tennessee in the 2002 game.

(Edit:Photo from the game)

TN14.jpg

I don't understand how Nike can create "unique" looks for D1 college teams and use one of 5 or 6 templates for everyone. Do ANY of these schools have someone who reviews uniforms changes, or just do they all roll in whatever Nike craps out?

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

Archived