2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

If Chris Fowler is to be believed...Texas vs. Alabama may not be a lock. There's still a chance that TCU may jump Texas.

This could very well be one of the most anticipated BCS Rankings release in history.

An undefeated non-BCS school jumping over an undefeated BCS school? I thought Chris Fowler covered college football....

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Chris Fowler is to be believed...Texas vs. Alabama may not be a lock. There's still a chance that TCU may jump Texas.

This could very well be one of the most anticipated BCS Rankings release in history.

An undefeated non-BCS school jumping over an undefeated BCS school? I thought Chris Fowler covered college football....

Haha no kidding. The whole point of the BCS is to benefit the big schools over the small schools, the system is completely indefensible from anything but a "rich get richer" standpoint.

1zgyd8w.jpg

A non-BCS school jumping over a BCS school? I thought Chris Fowler covered college football...

I think it's unlikely too, hell I am looking forward to a Texas/Alabama championship game...but it COULD happen. Texas didn't exactly look like gangbusters in that Big 12 win, compared to TCU who's been blowing the doors off of people all year.

Not saying that it could happen, but you never know. Same system that let Nebraska into a National Championship after they lost their conference championship, so who knows?

I just heard that interview on SportsCenter. Didn't make any sense to me. Weren't people just TODAY saying that an undefeated BCS conference champ deserved a chance to compete for the BCS 'ship? Of course, they were talking up Cincy, not Texas. There is no chance in hell that Texas Christian jumps Texas-Austin. Hell, there's a great chance that Cincy will jump TCU.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I just heard that interview on SportsCenter. Didn't make any sense to me. Weren't people just TODAY saying that an undefeated BCS conference champ deserved a chance to compete for the BCS 'ship? Of course, they were talking up Cincy, not Texas. There is no chance in hell that Texas Christian jumps Texas-Austin. Hell, there's a great chance that Cincy will jump TCU.

THAT is likely, though. Plus they're in a BCS conference, so that works in their favor.

Herby injecting some sense into things, though: It'll be one hell of a shock if Texas gets jumped.

A non-BCS school jumping over a BCS school? I thought Chris Fowler covered college football...

I think it's unlikely too, hell I am looking forward to a Texas/Alabama championship game...but it COULD happen. Texas didn't exactly look like gangbusters in that Big 12 win, compared to TCU who's been blowing the doors off of people all year.

Not saying that it could happen, but you never know. Same system that let Nebraska into a National Championship after they lost their conference championship, so who knows?

Nebraska never lost their conference champion game, they didn't play in their conference champion game if I remember right. What had happened if I remember right Nebraska lost to Colorado that put them in the Big 12 game both with 1-loss. The computers treated the conference championship game as a regular season game, so Colorado and Nebraska ended up having the same number of losses, because Nebraska played a stronger schedule the computers ended up putting them into the Rose Bowl.

Nebraska never lost their conference champion game, they didn't play in their conference champion game if I remember right. What had happened if I remember right Nebraska lost to Colorado that put them in the Big 12 game both with 1-loss. The computers treated the conference championship game as a regular season game, so Colorado and Nebraska ended up having the same number of losses, because Nebraska played a stronger schedule the computers ended up putting them into the Rose Bowl.

And now I feel dumb because I forgot all about that, wow. I'm really taking the L tonight in college football debate, I'm gonna just lay low. :P

There will be another Big Ten team playing in a BCS bowl game, simply because they've got a long history of buying tickets and hotel rooms. You can point to Boise State's 13-0 record all you want, the bottom line is that they don't have the fanbase that makes them very appealing. They don't travel well.

It's not a guarentee, but it'll likely be Alabama and Texas in the National Championship. Ohio State and Oregon will play in the Rose Bowl, and Georgia Tech will play in the Orange Bowl. This leaves 5 spots open, in which the selection order will be this: Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, and finally Fiesta.

TCU and Cincinnati are guarenteed spots in one of these bowls, due to BCS rules.

-The Sugar Bowl will take Florida. This leaves 4 spots to fill, and 2 at-large spots remain.

-The Fiesta Bowl likely takes a team that'll sell a ton of tickets and hotels with their first pick...which likely means Iowa or Penn State will get taken by them. This leaves 3 spots to fill, and only 1 at-large team. The Fiesta's first pick will be crucial to Boise State going to a BCS game.

-The Orange Bowl will likely seal Boise State's fate. The Orange certainly won't select a small school that's nearly 3,000 miles away, and possibly won't want Cincinnati for a 2nd consecutive year. But since no other viable option is available east of the Mississippi, the Orange probably will settle for Cincinnati.

-The Sugar Bowl now has to decide between TCU, Boise State, or use up that last at-large spot for a school that's got a better reputation for travelling. Here's where Will Morris makes some sense: The Sugar could mirror what the Chick-Fil-A Bowl advertises....an SEC vs. ACC bowl matchup. Though Virginia Tech doesn't have a great travelling reputation, they can certainly out-travel the likes of TCU and Boise State. It won't be shocking if they do take Virginia Tech in a sheer business move.

-The Fiesta Bowl's second selection likely will be taking a team that has to be selected. If there still is an at-large spot available, they'll most likely be the bowl selecting Boise State.

So it looks like the at-larges now are going to include TCU, Florida, and either Iowa or Penn State.

I think it's a legitimate question to say "Does Boise State get in?" Virginia Tech has the name recognition that could translate to a big payday.

Why would VA Tech make it in? Just drop that thought. Boise would make it before them. Then after Boise, you have Oregon State, Iowa, AND Penn State.

Penn State wouldn't make it, because of the 2 teams per conference rule.

Are you sure about that?

No more than two teams from any one conference may receive berths in BCS games unless two non-champions from a BCS conference finish as the top two teams in the final BCS standings in which case they will meet in the National Title Game while their conference champion will play in their conference's BCS bowl game.

So there won't be two Big Ten teams in the BCS. Ohio St. goes to the Rose Bowl as conference champions and either Iowa or Penn St. goes to probably the Fiesta Bowl. As Penn St. and Iowa didn't finish 1 and 2 in the BCS that renders that rule posted meaningless

Huh??? Ohio State is in The Rose Bowl. Last I checked, The Fiesta Bowl is also a BCS Bowl. So if Penn State or Iowa make the Fiesta Bowl then that would make two Big Ten teams in BCS bowls.

BB52Big.jpg

As a fan with no rooting interest in any games today, this was a great day of football.

I don't remember having this much fun watching football for a long time.

I'll second that. Three great games and we got to see the rare site of Florida getting smoked. Not a bad day of football at all. Let's see The NFL even come close to that tomorrow. Who am I kidding. There's no way The NFL can match that. They never do.

BB52Big.jpg

LOOK AT THE WHALES FALLING FROM THE SKY!!!!

OK...seriously, while I am disappointed, the Holiday Bowl looks to be a far more winnable game for the Huskers than the Fiesta Bowl would have been, especially now that Arizona looks to be the opponent. Indeed, I believe this Nebraska squad would be among the worst teams to play in a BCS Bowl game.

I do look forward, however, to seeing how the Rams will top this particular gut punch loss later today.

-----------------------------------

I just don't see Virginia Tech getting an at large bid; as said above, Hokie fans don't travel well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So it looks like the at-larges now are going to include TCU, Florida, and either Iowa or Penn State.

I think it's a legitimate question to say "Does Boise State get in?" Virginia Tech has the name recognition that could translate to a big payday.

Why would VA Tech make it in? Just drop that thought. Boise would make it before them. Then after Boise, you have Oregon State, Iowa, AND Penn State.

Penn State wouldn't make it, because of the 2 teams per conference rule.

Are you sure about that?

No more than two teams from any one conference may receive berths in BCS games unless two non-champions from a BCS conference finish as the top two teams in the final BCS standings in which case they will meet in the National Title Game while their conference champion will play in their conference's BCS bowl game.

So there won't be two Big Ten teams in the BCS. Ohio St. goes to the Rose Bowl as conference champions and either Iowa or Penn St. goes to probably the Fiesta Bowl. As Penn St. and Iowa didn't finish 1 and 2 in the BCS that renders that rule posted meaningless

Huh??? Ohio State is in The Rose Bowl. Last I checked, The Fiesta Bowl is also a BCS Bowl. So if Penn State or Iowa make the Fiesta Bowl then that would make two Big Ten teams in BCS bowls.

Eh, I was saying that Iowa would get in over Penn State because they won their meeting. That's all.

I just don't see Virginia Tech getting an at large bid; as said above, Hokie fans don't travel well.

When compared to TCU and Boise State, Virginia Tech can certainly out-draw these two schools.

Depends on the game. Fiesta'd probably do better with Boise State or TCU than they would with the Hokies.

Although, if their ACC Championship Game appearances are any consideration, I wouldn't be too sure about the Hokies' ability to draw outside of Blacksburg.

As a final thought, I, for one, think TCU would give Alabama the best game out of the Horned Frogs, Texas, and Cincinnati.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a fan with no rooting interest in any games today, this was a great day of football.

I'll second that. Three great games and we got to see the rare site of Florida getting smoked. Not a bad day of football at all. Let's see The NFL even come close to that tomorrow. Who am I kidding. There's no way The NFL can match that. They never do.

at least the NFL has this thing where anyone can be the champion if they win enough games

1zgyd8w.jpg

Boise State better get a damn BCS Bowl, there are not that manyh at large teams that are deserving this year.

BCS Bowl Texas vs Bama

Rose Bowl Ohio State vs Oregon

Sugar Bowl Florida vs???

Orange Bowl Cincinnati vs Georgia Tech

Fiesta Bowl TCU vs Boise State (How awesome will it be a match up of two unbeaten non BCS teams)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't know if anyone noticed the Fresno State-Illinois game... ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

I don't know if anyone noticed the Fresno State-Illinois game... ^_^

That was quite the finish. Good to see a big man get some glory. :grin:

Archived