2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

As a Vikings fan I am far more concerned with Adrian Peterson than Brett Favre. With Favre you knew he was going to have a game like last night's. The Cardinals showed up simply out game planned the Vikings. Childress, Bevell and Favre weren't ready and had nothing going for them. This is where Peterson has to show up, and he didn't. The coaching staff also cannot fall into the paradigm like they did last night where Favre is forced to climb them out of a hole.

After all, is Adrian Peterson's team but he is not performing like the "best running back in the NFL". I dont know what it is but he has not been the same this season. The opening game of the season was the last time I saw the real Adrian Peterson this year. Sure he has had some quality games since and has been fairly consistent, but when you have a talent like he does you need to be dominant. Hopefully the coaching staff realizes that they need to get back to a smash-mouth style of offense, otherwise the rest of the season will rely on the arm of Favre and we will begin to see more games like last night's.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the Cowboys I can best do it in song,

Its begining to look a like Christmas, toys in every store, Tony Romo and the Cowboys are choking it up again.

That doesn't even follow the rhyme scheme of the song!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sig bet, I'm in. We going straight up results of the two Saints-Falcons games, best records overall, what?

Since the basis of discussion deals with the regular season, let's do overall record.

Okay boys, more on today's game later, but just wanted you to know I hadn't forgotten about this. :D

Remind me on Week 17 to put it up....

Crazy me. Thought once it became impossible for one of the teams to win more than the other the bet would be over. But okay, I'll remind you after week 17.

That game was bizarre. It's the first one this year I haven't watched. Listened via Sirius as my wife and I worked in the yard. Was pretty bummed when the Redskins lined up for that FG at the end. Couldn't believe he missed. Also couldn't believe Vilma didn't try harder to stay inbounds and score when he got that pick. But hey, all's well that ends well.

Falcon fans, their '98 SB run is before my time in the Atlanta area. I'm familiar with the NFC Championship win in Minnesota but did they have any crazy lucky wins that year like the Saints did yesterday?

When they beat the 49ers in the playoffs that year, there was a lot of "Wow, how in the hell did we beat the 49ers?!" after the excitement of "HOLY :censored: WE BEAT THE 49ERS!!!" wore off. But that was only because, IIRC, the Falcons had every chance to turn that game into a blowout but it stayed close until the end.

Idk what's going on with the Saints, though. I think all those years of voodoo magic karma are coming back in the Saints favor. That's the only way that I can explain them winning that game in Landover yesterday. :P

Looking at the Cowboys schedule for the rest of the season, its not an easy run in. They have the Chargers, Saints, Redskins, and Eagles to play. Not at all unreasonable to expect them to go 1-3 on the run in, without full on choking. That would leave them 9-7, and a marginal case for the playoffs, probably depending on who wins there division. They will have finished the season 1-4, and the choking headlines will come out, but it won't perhaps be fully fair.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Looking at the Cowboys schedule for the rest of the season, its not an easy run in. They have the Chargers, Saints, Redskins, and Eagles to play. Not at all unreasonable to expect them to go 1-3 on the run in, without full on choking. That would leave them 9-7, and a marginal case for the playoffs, probably depending on who wins there division. They will have finished the season 1-4, and the choking headlines will come out, but it won't perhaps be fully fair.

I would love to see them go 8-8 and miss the Playoffs completely which is very possible the new stadium just doesn't bring the noise as Texas Stadium did so no team should be scared to play there.

And if they end up finishing with the same record as the Pack the Cowboys will finish 6th and play most likely against a rival like Philly or dare I say the Giants, Love those tiebreakers.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Time for this week's edition of "If the Season Ended Today", brought to you buy NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

That Bengals-Chargers matchup in a couple of weeks will go a long way in determining the AFC's #2 seed. That is, if the Bengals can beat Minnesota and the Chargers can avoid losing to Dallas in this upcoming week.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Colts definitely have to get up for next week's Broncos game and the upcoming Jaguars game.

I know the Broncos will fight the hard fight, and I know Jacksonville likes to through a wrench into the Colts season every now and again.

And besides those two games, the only danger to the Colts undefeated season is themselves. If they clinch home-field here in the next 2 weeks, they could starting resting in the Jets game and most likely in the Bills game in Buffalo.

I would hope if the possibility is there the players would say go for it. I mean hell, you're getting a bye week. Rest then.

Plus Peyton always says he wants to stay in his rhythm.

Anyways, these things are a ways away.

GO COLTS!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Sig bet, I'm in. We going straight up results of the two Saints-Falcons games, best records overall, what?

Since the basis of discussion deals with the regular season, let's do overall record.

Okay boys, more on today's game later, but just wanted you to know I hadn't forgotten about this. :D

Crazy me. Thought once it became impossible for one of the teams to win more than the other the bet would be over. But okay, I'll remind you after week 17.

That game was bizarre. It's the first one this year I haven't watched. Listened via Sirius as my wife and I worked in the yard. Was pretty bummed when the Redskins lined up for that FG at the end. Couldn't believe he missed. Also couldn't believe Vilma didn't try harder to stay inbounds and score when he got that pick. But hey, all's well that ends well.

Falcon fans, their '98 SB run is before my time in the Atlanta area. I'm familiar with the NFC Championship win in Minnesota but did they have any crazy lucky wins that year like the Saints did yesterday?

When they beat the 49ers in the playoffs that year, there was a lot of "Wow, how in the hell did we beat the 49ers?!" after the excitement of "HOLY :censored: WE BEAT THE 49ERS!!!" wore off. But that was only because, IIRC, the Falcons had every chance to turn that game into a blowout but it stayed close until the end.

Idk what's going on with the Saints, though. I think all those years of voodoo magic karma are coming back in the Saints favor. That's the only way that I can explain them winning that game in Landover yesterday. :P

That thought occurred to me as well. It's as good an explanation as any. I have to admit I'd given up on them yesterday before the missed FG, then I knew it was on. I was still shocked that he missed it though.

Looking forward to Sunday though it'd be a lot more fun if the Falcons had all their feathers. Heard Ryan may be out a couple more games and even if Turner comes back, he won't be close to a hundred percent. If the Saints come to play, it may get ugly in a hurry.

I have an anniversary coming up. On Dec 21, 1969, I went to my first Saints game, a 27-24 win over the Steelers in Tulane Stadium. Forty years. Forty VERY long years. B)

On another note, have to wonder if last night was the start of the annual Fav-ruh late-season meltdown or just a bad game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Colts definitely have to get up for next week's Broncos game and the upcoming Jaguars game.

I know the Broncos will fight the hard fight, and I know Jacksonville likes to through a wrench into the Colts season every now and again.

And besides those two games, the only danger to the Colts undefeated season is themselves. If they clinch home-field here in the next 2 weeks, they could starting resting in the Jets game and most likely in the Bills game in Buffalo.

I would hope if the possibility is there the players would say go for it. I mean hell, you're getting a bye week. Rest then.

Plus Peyton always says he wants to stay in his rhythm.

Anyways, these things are a ways away.

GO COLTS!

+1

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Watching Tyrell Johnson try to throw his body in to arguably the most physical receiver in the game is a joke who teaches these Safeties to tackle.

The tackling in the NFL has been atrocious for a good decade or so. There's too much hitting going on and not enough tackling, and it's showing.

Exactly true. well said. ray lewis isnt a great tackler, hes just good at delivering big hits. people have tried emulating him and its hurt the traditional wrap-up style that is much more effective.

glossysig5.png

I thought the terms of the sig bet were about leaving the sig up through the entirity of the team's run in the playoffs, no? Besides, UGA football and the success of my fantasy team take precedence... ;)

I can't remember any lucky wins by the Falcons in 1998. They lost at San Francisco in a pouring rainstorm, and lost to the Jets when Chandler sat out due to a concussion. The Falcons scored three touchdowns within a minute's span vs. Carolina, they handled the 49ers easily in the Georgia Dome, they blew out the Patrios in Foxboro (where the Dirty Bird dance was formally introduced by OJ Santiago) and killed the Dolphins at home in their final game of the season. They also had some sleepwalked wins vs. the Bears and the Colts (Manning's rookie season, I believe). Come to think, I think the Colts led 21-0 and the Falcons stormed back...that may be that one lucky win, but certainly wasn't the level of luck in the Saints-Redskins game yesterday.

Not Green Bay's most disciplined effort of the year, and Mason Crosby still can't hit the broad side of a barn, but a win's a win. Now if they can get one at Soldier Field for a change, they'll be in really good shape for a playoff spot.

Update: ESPN just showed a graphic that Rodgers has only been sacked eight times in the last four games, including just once tonight. Their O-line's finally solidifying, and not a moment too soon.

CCSLC signature.png

alright...first things first, we have our Defensive Player of the Year. If the DPOY isn't Charles Woodson, it'll be highway robbery.

second, the Ravens and Pack combined for 310+ penalty yards. with all that face time he got, that ref might get a reality show :hockeysmiley:

third, the OL is starting to realize Rodgers being on his feet > Rodgers being on his back. And there was only really one time where he held onto the ball way too long.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

oh on the contrary. it will be quite fair. they are a massive epic fail every time the temperature drops in texas.

heres a recap of the last 4 games:

Chargers - blow out loss. LT has about 9 touchdowns

Saints - another blow out loss. i'm fairly confident it will be about 80-0 saints.

Redskins - won't be a blowout but the deadskins will find a way of beating the cowboys. probably be 7-3.

Eagles - i expect vick to have about 5 touchdowns. one running, one passing, one comming off the toilet, one thrown to him, and one just given to him because he IS the awsomeness.

there 0-4 in december and phillips gets his ass fired before vick scores the last touchdown of the game.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

oh on the contrary. it will be quite fair. they are a massive epic fail every time the temperature drops in texas.

heres a recap of the last 4 games:

Chargers - blow out loss. LT has about 9 touchdowns

Saints - another blow out loss. i'm fairly confident it will be about 80-0 saints.

Redskins - won't be a blowout but the deadskins will find a way of beating the cowboys. probably be 7-3.

Eagles - i expect vick to have about 5 touchdowns. one running, one passing, one comming off the toilet, one thrown to him, and one just given to him because he IS the awsomeness.

there 0-4 in december and phillips gets his ass fired before vick scores the last touchdown of the game.

My point is that they COULD finish with 3 defeats and not really choke. They may choke still but they could finish weakly, in terms of defeats at least and not have choked, given that losing to the Chargers, Saints and Eagles wouldn't perhaps be chokes.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Wasn't pretty for the Packers probably one of the worst games they've played but good thing is the Ravens played probably their worst game at the worst time of the year and Jermichael Finley coming through in a massive way.

I expect A-Rod & company to do a Soldier Field stomp this coming Sunday with Charles Woodson locking up the DPOY, unless of course both Jared Allen and Elvis Dumervil go crazy in the final four weeks.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived