2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Well, let's get the ol' Playoff Scenario picture into focus.

In the NFC, it's a near open and shut case if Dallas wins tonight as Washington. If Dallas does win, it also creates a situation where the Cowboys will host the Eagles and if Dallas wins that game, they'll win the division because of the season sweep of the Eagles. Dallas jumps into the 3rd seed to face either Green Bay or Philadelphia once again. Arizona gets the other team.

In the AFC, five teams are still alive for the two wild cards. Right now three of the teams are at 6-5 in the conference and those three are the NY Jets, Denver and Baltimore. Now, the Jets didn't face either Baltimore or Denver which means common games are introduced. For the most part, all three teams played New England and Cincinnati and Oakland. The Jets split with the Pats and beat the Raiders while they play the Bengals next week. The Broncos beat Cincinnati all the way back in week 1 and defeated the Pats in week 5, but split with the Raiders. The Ravens were swept by the Bengals and lost to New England with Oakland still to go. This means that the Broncos (3-1) are first followed by the Jets (2-1) and then the Ravens (0-3). So, the Broncos are fifth and the Jets are sixth.

Whew... That was a mouthful.

Looking at the updated NFL standings at ESPN.com they have the Jets and Baltimore as the current 5th and 6th seeds. They also mentioned on the CBS broadcast that the BRoncos need help now with them losing.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, NFL.com has it Denver in fifth and the Jets in sixth.

They also still have Denver at 8-6, they haven't updated it yet.

Wanna bet, monkey boy?

I also want to note that in the common opponents, each team had a division rival (Jets had New England, Baltimore had Cincinnati and Denver had Oakland) that gave each team two games. Each of the three teams faced the other two non-division teams to equal four.

Woah woah woah.... The Jets control their own destiny? Are you f***ing serious????

Yes, they needed Miami, Jacksonville, and Baltimore to all lose today and they did. That combined with the Jets "win" in Indy.

Insane. I would have guessed the Jets were at the bottom of the barrel of all 8-7 teams. Amazing!

For the moment, Denver holds the other Wild Card spot -- but they do NOT control their own destiny. It looks like it's gonna take a combinations of other games on Week 17 due to common opponent tiebreakers to decide on if the Broncos can advance. By projecting next weeks possible results with the Playoff Generator, (outside of the Jets) the Ravens' odds of making the playoffs with a win are best.

6uXNWAo.png

But, NFL.com has it Denver in fifth and the Jets in sixth.

They also still have Denver at 8-6, they haven't updated it yet.

Wanna bet, monkey boy?

Well when I had just clicked on the conference standings it came up Denver 8-6 and the playoff thing said last updated at 5pm. There apparently is still some confusion of who owns the tie-breaker between Baltimore and Denver. In the 3 way tie there is only 3 common opponents (based on what you said above) that means you can't use it. Then it goes to strength of victory. I have a feeling that is where the confusion comes from because that can change after next week and it is easy to tell the result if it does. If the Jets win that tie-breaker, then you start the tie-breaking procedures all over again which means Baltimore wins over Denver because of head to head.

Seeing Curty's post above that is exactly what it is. Denver is in the 5th spot currently but all 3 teams win Ravens will jump them on the change in tie-breakers.

:blink: I feel like this is a conversation about the BCS.

Well except it actually has to do with results that occurred on the field and not about how some voters feel about the team.

It's complicated but that is what happens when you only play 16 games in a season.

Can someone explain to me how Denver is ranked as the number 5 on NFL.com, but number 7 on Yahoo!

Now someone said that currently Denver are the number 5 seed, but if Baltimore wins next week they are in?? How does this all work?

I know Baltimore has the head to head tie breaker with Denver...but as a whole the tiebreaker explanation is a bit confusing to understand.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Can someone explain to me how Denver is ranked as the number 5 on NFL.com, but number 7 on Yahoo!

Now someone said that currently Denver are the number 5 seed, but if Baltimore wins next week they are in?? How does this all work?

I know Baltimore has the head to head tie breaker with Denver...but as a whole the tiebreaker explanation is a bit confusing to understand.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

Strength of victory.

Strength of schedule.

Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.

Best net points in conference games.

Best net points in all games.

Best net touchdowns in all games.

Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

EDIT: From what I have read the common opponent changed with wins from all 3 next week. The Jets would win that, and then Baltimore would beat out Denver based on the head-to-head.

I'd really like to see the Ravens make the playoffs, but I'm starting to wonder what would be the point. We'd just lose in the first round anyway. This team has beaten itself way more than any other team has. Whether it was Mark Clayton dropping the perfect pass on 4th down in New England. Haushcka missing the FG in Minnesota. Mason dropping an easy TD pass today in Pittsburgh. Not to mention the countless penalties that have negated so many huge plays. It's starting to become hard to watch. Especially knowing that the talent it there to be a top team.

Also, Frank Walker better be cut this week. He has got to be the worst defensive back in the NFL. He should have been cut after the Minnesota game. If he is in the game, the opposing QB should just throw it to his guy everytime. Its a garunteed penalty.

and.... the Bengals vs Jets is flexed for Next Sunday Night.

Whatinthe?... I thought there was no Week 17 SNF game.

There is no Week 17 Monday Night Game. There is a Week 17 Sunday Night game, although they originally don't schedule one it is a flex game.

Archived