Arena Football League 2010

DustDevil61

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I don't think anyone when the AFL started that if you said to them will this league still be around in 10 years a lot of people would have said are you kidding it had a good run.

Also It's a sad thing when AF2 is still going and doing well I think but I guess small to medium sized cities love there indoor football now it's time to rally to get an AF2 team here in Calgary.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

What doomed the AFL is that they thought they were a major market league and could generate the same interest as the NFL during the void between the seasons.

I don't think it was the markets that killed the AFL I think it was just the way it was managed. From what I've herd It went from being something rich people used as an activity, something you do for fun and plan to lose money on, to being a business venture which some people people (Jerry Jones, Elway) expected to make money with which isn't the case.

It was a good run and I was a big fan for the last few years. I wonder if the af2 will expand and grow now.

Wouldn't it be 1987-2008?

What I'm wondering about is the mostly successful AFL markets that had decent fan bases. Do Tampa, Phoenix, and San Jose return in the form of the AF2?

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

What doomed the AFL is that they thought they were a major market league and could generate the same interest as the NFL during the void between the seasons.

I don't think it was the markets that killed the AFL I think it was just the way it was managed. From what I've herd It went from being something rich people used as an activity, something you do for fun and plan to lose money on, to being a business venture which some people people (Jerry Jones, Elway) expected to make money with which isn't the case.

It was a good run and I was a big fan for the last few years. I wonder if the af2 will expand and grow now.

I sure hope so, I miss seeing the Storm games. Affordable entertainment that is enjoyable by many in the Tampa area.

I sure hope so, I miss seeing the Storm games. Affordable entertainment that is enjoyable by many in the Tampa area.

QFT. I went to one game in Philly and it was a lot of fun. It was very loud, very exciting and I didn't need to forfeit my college education to get good seats!

If the AFL dies, we can all blame the economic crisis (or John Elway and Jon Bon Jovi) on this. Just saying.

I can agree with you on the first name (that should mean a lot coming from a die hard Denver fan) but Bon Jovi, in my mind, was one of the guys keeping the AFL alive, along with Ditka.

I do think that league management has pretty much, if not already, doomed the league. I do have an account over at UFLAccess.com and do think that the founder and former commissioner, David Baker, saw the writing on the wall and got out while the getting was good.

I think this is the case because the franchise fee (used to start up a team) was $1.5 Million, but payrolls could go as high as $2 Million or something like that. Out here in Utah, the Blaze never made a cent. What's the deal with that? For 2 out of 3 seasons they played, they led the league in attendance, yet didn't make any money? Something's up if you ask me.

I'm not saying that it's a Joe Newman-esque (you know, the guy who not only tarnished the ABA name, but also burned, mangled, and took a dump on it) scheme, but when the fans show up and the team is winning, yet a profit has yet to be made, something's wrong.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I do think that league management has pretty much, if not already, doomed the league. I do have an account over at UFLAccess.com and do think that the founder and former commissioner, David Baker, saw the writing on the wall and got out while the getting was good.

He also got out with $6 million of the league's money in the form of a secret loan against its assets, IIRC.

Out here in Utah, the Blaze never made a cent. What's the deal with that? For 2 out of 3 seasons they played, they led the league in attendance, yet didn't make any money? Something's up if you ask me.

It's called inflating the attendance numbers. Utah was one of the most egregious at it. If you see an attendance report for a Blaze game, and it's not a season/franchise opener, start by cutting that number in half. Then consider chopping off about another 20% of what's left to come up with a real idea of paid attendance.

If the Blaze were actually drawing 15,000 butts in seats per game, by looking at game footage, one must presume the Delta Center seats about 30,000.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just read this, link found over at UFLAccess.com:

AFL: 1987-2009?

Bitter parting or Good Riddance? Talk about it here.

So Florio's dart hit the "yes" space instead of the "no" space.

Arena football isn't dead yet FYI.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The AFL was better off being small and having teams in Iowa and Grand Rapids, when it started going after the bigger arenas in bigger markets it was poison. Cities like New York don't care about the AFL because they view it as a minor league it with so many teams so many entertainment options nobody cared or ever discussed about the AFL.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the owners of the more successful AFL teams regroup to start a new league out of the ashes.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Or, we could see a little of what we saw with either the AHL or IHL and the ECHL and the AF2 may assimilate some of the stronger or more popular--screw it, most stable--franchises into its fold, possibly at the expense of some of the teams at the bottom of the AF2's pecking order. And then the AF2 will rename itself the AFL.

Truth be told, I think a game like that really has its place a s niche sport and should remain as such...and be run as such. Cheap(ish) entertainment, quality football on a half-size field, with a premium on high scores, "ironmen", and bone-jarring hits into the walls and such (you know, the things that really brought people to love the arena game in the first place) to be played mostly during the NFL's off-season in smaller cities near major media markets. And, of course, go wild and crazy wtih the uniform designs...it works for minor-league baseball, doesn't it? :P

(Disclaimer: this is all just my admittedly uneducated personal 2-cent opinion.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Or, we could see a little of what we saw with either the AHL or IHL and the ECHL and the AF2 may assimilate some of the stronger or more popular--screw it, most stable--franchises into its fold, possibly at the expense of some of the teams at the bottom of the AF2's pecking order. And then the AF2 will rename itself the AFL.

Truth be told, I think a game like that really has its place a s niche sport and should remain as such...and be run as such. Cheap(ish) entertainment, quality football on a half-size field, with a premium on high scores, "ironmen", and bone-jarring hits into the walls and such (you know, the things that really brought people to love the arena game in the first place) to be played mostly during the NFL's off-season in smaller cities near major media markets. And, of course, go wild and crazy wtih the uniform designs...it works for minor-league baseball, doesn't it? :P

(Disclaimer: this is all just my admittedly uneducated personal 2-cent opinion.)

That's kinda what I would like to see happen as well. As well as a team an AF...whatever team somewhere in MD, but thats just a personal thing. :P

Archived